In need of book shelves in POP

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
My wife has loads of books and no place toe put them. Any idea where I can get book shelves or if you know someone who would build them? thanks

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Last year I couldn't find bookshelves anywhere in Puerto Plata/Sosua. I'm sure I would have had better luck in Santiago but with no car, that wasn't an option. I went to a local furniture maker near Sosua and had a couple of bookcases made. The price was reasonable when compared to particle board offerings from places like Ikea. I probably could have and should have negotiated for a better price but I was still in my "being overwhelmed by daily hassles of life here" period.

You should have no problem finding a place in POP that will throw together something study and functional for you. Just ask at furniture stores and they should be able to either get it done for you or point you in the right direction.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
With a drill and a saw they are easy and cheap to make.
You can buy the precut shelves and some wall brackets.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Take a walk to a few colmados in your area. Look at the shelves where they store can goods and booze. If you like the look ask who built them.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Doing anything that even remotely sounds like work is vastly overrated.

1) Go get wood
2) Procure a means of fastening wood together
3) Procure Stain/Paint
4) Assemble wood. Screw it up as it so that finished item does not sit level or square.
5) Reassemble
6) Clean up construction mess
7) Apply stain/paint
8) Dog brushes against wet bookshelf - wash dog
9) Move bookshelf to its final resting place. Wife decides she doesn't like it there. Move bookshelf.
10) Swear at yourself for ever getting involved in all this.
11) Commit to avoiding any future DIY projects. There is always someone to hire. Retirement is having nothing to do except spend money.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Simple:
A couple of 8' planks
20 or more concrete blocks

2 blocks under each extremities and 2 in the middle of 1 plank.
Then repeat, one plank on top of the other... Until you obtain the required height.

Et Voil?.....

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
My wife has loads of books and no place toe put them. Any idea where I can get book shelves or if you know someone who would build them? thanks

I know a couple of good guys, who I think would be well able to put together something like this. Both close to the main road in POP. They used to be our neighbors for a few years, and I witnessed some nice furniture made. As far as I know, pricing is ok.

We had them just fix a few pieces of furniture, but in my opinion they did an excellent job.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Make the trip to Ikea in STQ. Billy bookcases. Cheap and easy to assemble.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............One final comment as a side note, I think the lack of bookshelves in this country speaks volumes about the lack of reading done. Of course I guess most POP expats are also doing other things besides reading.:D

Cracking up laughing, you must be Dominican and live here. I have often thought the same thing, but it is what it is.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Cracking up laughing, you must be Dominican and live here. I have often thought the same thing, but it is what it is.

actually, i have posted that observation before. you cannot just walk into the average furniture store in the DR and tell the salesman that you want to buy a bookcase. those things are made to order. there is no demand for them. there are just not too many people who have so many books they need a designated place to store them.