Advantages membership @ Pricesmart?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
What are the advantages to buy at Pricesmart compared to the "normal" supermarkets when you just do "normal" shopping... Are there any? Examples?

Is Carrefour with membership too?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
PriceSmart is a Latin American copy of COSTCO in the US. Bulk products, electronics, and other mostly imported items. Some food items you can only get there while living in the DR.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
So if you buy a lot of stuff (almost everything besides groceries) on amazon like me and groceries mostly local a membership there wouldn't make much sense, right?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
carrefour has no membership.

we are pricesmart members, courtesy to a friend who pays for that. i personally do not care for that place at all. makes little sense for a small household. the prices are not particularly competitive and only few things are usable for us due to bulk sizes of products. we occasionally shop there when in santiago but if i had to pay for that membership myself i'd give it a pass.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So if you buy a lot of stuff (almost everything besides groceries) on amazon like me and groceries mostly local a membership there wouldn't make much sense, right?

The best thing to do is pay the place a visit and see if they have what you want. You can go there and look around. I have never had to show my membership card until I am checking out. It is one of those places where once inside, you won't feel like you are in the DR.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
carrefour has no membership.

we are pricesmart members, courtesy to a friend who pays for that. i personally do not care for that place at all. makes little sense for a small household. the prices are not particularly competitive and only few things are usable for us due to bulk sizes of products. we occasionally shop there when in santiago but if i had to pay for that membership myself i'd give it a pass.

it is great if you have something like a restaurant, and need to buy in large quantities. other than that, it is of no great advantage. it is not as if the prices are any great shakes, and who needs a gallon tin of ketchup.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
makes little sense for a small household. the prices are not particularly competitive and only few things are usable for us due to bulk sizes of products.

Yep, that is what I thought... I get their newsletter with offers and wasn't convinced...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we buy limited items there: dog food (we get 5-10 bags at a time), olive oil, maybe a brick of cheese, a box of cherries if they have 'em. it's good if you have a large family and live nearby but to me it does not justify drive to santiago just to shop there alone. not to mention that whatever you save on products you will spend in petrol.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
The best thing to do is pay the place a visit and see if they have what you want. You can go there and look around. I have never had to show my membership card until I am checking out. It is one of those places where once inside, you won't feel like you are in the DR.

In Santiago they have never let me in without showing my card. They don't check the card to verify it's mine though.

I've compared prices and if you buy in bulk, food is worth it. Other stuff too but if you're a single person it's not worth it.

Family of three and regular household items - for us, yes.

Electronics and things like that though, no way Jose. They are outrageously overpriced on electronics.

Cleaning supplies are a bargain though. Big bag of detergente en polvo for I think $850 when a bag 1/4 the size in Bravo was $500 or so.

I have an app that keeps prices of things for me so I can compare and see changes. Overall PriceSmart has saved us enough money to warrant the yearly membership price.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
only visited santiago, we get asked for the card upon entry 9 times out of 10.

Jan 9, 2004
Reasons to like Pricesmart;

One stop shopping for many items;
Reasonable prices on everything from food to electronics to tires;
No hassle warranty returns;
And the donuts.

Downside is a fairly limited selection of brands......definitely not your specialty store....and lots of bulk items.

I still like the place.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
When I go to Santo Domingo (4 or 5 times a year) I go there an load up on cleaning products, tp, and Kirkland stuff you can't get anywhere else. Also give me a quick dose of "civilization" lol. In the end I don't think I'm saving any money when you add in the membership fee but I do love the canned chicken breast :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Civilization. Yes, I did mention you would not think you were in the DR while inside PriceSmart.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
When I go to Santo Domingo (4 or 5 times a year) I go there an load up on cleaning products, tp, and Kirkland stuff you can't get anywhere else. Also give me a quick dose of "civilization" lol. In the end I don't think I'm saving any money when you add in the membership fee but I do love the canned chicken breast :)

Do you mean Kirkland as in:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Kirkland

???

I buy various of Kirkland products at Amazon. Are prices comparable or way off at Pricesmart?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I use it at xmas, when need lots of things I usually don't.
Never shown my card until checkout, and did DV8 say someone paid for them?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am a bit of a shopaholic and I have done quite a lot of analysis on Pricesmart prices. Some of their things are very cheap. Apple computers are way cheaper than you can get them in Mac dealers in Santo Domingo. Some items they have in stock, some they have to import, but the prices are good. But things like orange juice, wine, Gatorade, all are about the same or more than Jumbo or Sirena. They often come in with good prices on US imported items like Pancake mix. I go to the branch in Santo Domingo and you cannot get in without showing a membership card.

Carrefour has got some things you can't get elsewhere (their croissants are nicer than Nacional in my opinion), their champagne range is excellent and good value. And some strange things like shower gel are much better and cheaper than anywhere else. But you have to be careful, some of their stuff is way more expensive than other supermarkets.

One thing I have learnt is to scan the daily papers, supermarkets really do have some amazing specials and these only last a day. Plaza Lama often has really cheap beer and rum. Nacional also has some excellent specials. If you shop around, you can save a lot.

In Santiago, I have never shown my card until I am checking out.

They ask for your card at the entrance, sometimes I walk by them but 90% of the time I show my card.
We go twice a month sometimes more.

I LOVE PS!! Better quality furniture and other items.

It is not about savings for us it is about the product they have. You don't need to have a big family to shop there.
Go with a friend who has a card to check it out.

Good customer service and the ability to exchange or get your money back if something is broken/ doesn't work is also another reason we love it.

Last edited: