Need meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen40

Sep 27, 2015
Hi everyone!
Need some help with a phrase my BF uses. It always seems to be said after any argument we have( which really are minor thank goodness !) he says "Pero me quer?a votar" what does this mean? It translates as " I have voted on Google translator ( which I know is probably not accurate Dominican Spanish) I was told by some other friends from the DR that it means I am angry or I am leaving you. Another version I've been told is that it is a roundabout way if saying I'm sorry. Or I look back and realize how stupid I've been.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi everyone!
Need some help with a phrase my BF uses. It always seems to be said after any argument we have( which really are minor thank goodness !) he says "Pero me quer?a votar" what does this mean? It translates as " I have voted on Google translator ( which I know is probably not accurate Dominican Spanish) I was told by some other friends from the DR that it means I am angry or I am leaving you. Another version I've been told is that it is a roundabout way if saying I'm sorry. Or I look back and realize how stupid I've been.

it means you want to boot him out...

no comment.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think he's saying 'botar', not 'votar'.

B & V are very hard to distinguish in DR.

now hold on just one NY minute... Are we really saying that Dominicans PRONOUCE the V ??
I dont think their tongues are even capable of it..

the other way around , of course.. the V is always a B..

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It means it is crazy you have a boyfriend that you do not understand. Or even ask what he means if you don't get it.

Maybe he is just passionate about his political party and you are arguing about the 3 hour trip to the colmado?

God knows how you argue if you can't even understand each other!:paranoid:

Kristen40

Sep 27, 2015
I think that is the root of all of our so called arguments maybe. Lol But I do ask him what it means and not even when I'm done with my sentence, he is over it and just moves on to the next subject like it didn't even happen. I noticed that he does not dwell on things. I should take note and probably not worry about fighting over petty misunderstandings. The fact is though that we are both willing to learn each other's language no matter how slow the process is. Thanks for the input !!!��������

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think that is the root of all of our so called arguments maybe. Lol But I do ask him what it means and not even when I'm done with my sentence, he is over it and just moves on to the next subject like it didn't even happen. I noticed that he does not dwell on things. I should take note and probably not worry about fighting over petty misunderstandings. The fact is though that we are both willing to learn each other's language no matter how slow the process is. Thanks for the input !!!��������

i hope things work out for you, but from where i view it, i cannot understand how two adults can maintain a meaningful relationship when they cannot communicate. it is hard enough trying to tell your partner not to leave the toilet bowl lid open when you speak the same language, but if you have to walk him to the throne and explain it in gestures, it is just too much of a strain.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I knew this guy who didn't speak English and was married to an American who didn't speak Spanish. I was in awe as I had never heard of something like that before. Anyway, He came to my house a few times to receive a call from her, so I would translate. She used to be like "tell him I love him", and he'd be like "Thanks"; so I'd feel sorry for her, and I'd translate it as "he says he loves you too".
After he got the papers, he dumped her, and I felt guilty about it, because she always sounded so loving and eager and had so much to say, and he always answered with one word answers.

Apr 7, 2014
Hi everyone!
Pero me queria botar

It is as though you wanna kick me out/to the curb/break it off/break up with me

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your ignorant sanki boyfriend (What every poster is really thinking) does not speak proper Spanish. To use "botar" instead of a more elegant term, such as "expulsar"or "salir de mi"...denotes his lack of education.

The fact that you even think a Dominican male (especially a sanki) would even consider asking for pardon or admit his mistake, is proof you are looking through the gullible
eyes of a bewitched female, who knows not a smigion (?) about Dominican culture.

There are three basic rules for dating a Dominican. I wrote them ages ago, so here goes:
1) That person MUST have at least your level of education--and you must be able to communicate (like read and write???)
2) That person should have a passport and a travel visa to someplace (especially the US or Canada or Europe)
3) That person has to have at least as much money as you do (in Dominican money--you have $1000 US, he has RD$1000 etc) and a job that is not in a hotel *unless he is the manager or head of A&B).

Otherwise there is a 99.9% chance you are dating a sanki.

HB..somewhat of a curmudgeon today.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Your ignorant sanki boyfriend (What every poster is really thinking) does not speak proper Spanish. To use "botar" instead of a more elegant term, such as "expulsar"or "salir de mi"...denotes his lack of education.

The fact that you even think a Dominican male (especially a sanki) would even consider asking for pardon or admit his mistake, is proof you are looking through the gullible
eyes of a bewitched female, who knows not a smigion (?) about Dominican culture.

There are three basic rules for dating a Dominican. I wrote them ages ago, so here goes:
1) That person MUST have at least your level of education--and you must be able to communicate (like read and write???)
2) That person should have a passport and a travel visa to someplace (especially the US or Canada or Europe)
3) That person has to have at least as much money as you do (in Dominican money--you have $1000 US, he has RD$1000 etc) and a job that is not in a hotel *unless he is the manager or head of A&B).

Otherwise there is a 99.9% chance you are dating a sanki.

HB..somewhat of a curmudgeon today.

HB, you need to publish a hardcover version of your primer on relationships between foreigners and Dominicans. your stuff on the forum is great too, but i think it needs wider exposure. it would avert a lot of cases like the one we are currently seeing here.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The OP (original poster) asked for the meaning of votar and it was clarified- s/b botar.

The OP acknowledged the clarification. All the other posts are speculation and not really relevant from a language perspective. Always remember this is the Spanish forum and not Mars and Venus.

Closed/ Cerrado.

-MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.