dville49

Sep 29, 2015
Need to know how to get a visa for a Dominicana to go to the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Need to know how to get a visa for a Dominicana to go to the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the type of visa. There are dozens of visa classifications; all for a wide variety of purposes.

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
I just went thru the process, if you are going the IR1/CR1(marriage) route. Good luck if its for a tourist (non-immigrant) visa.

I did the process myself no need for a lawyer to help. I live in Dominican Republic so I went with Direct Consular Filing (DCF). If you qualify (IE have proof that you have been in DR more than 6 months) its a quick process, takes about 4-6 months versus 8-12 months via NVC (National Visa Center, from the States). You have to file a I-130 (Petition cost $420 dollars) and the embassy, afterwards you will get an approval letter (with your case number) if everything checks out. Then you have to file DS-260 online on www.ustraveldocs.com (create a profile) and schedule appointments for VAC (Biometrics) and Consular interview. During this time you should get your I-864 form completed and have your spouse complete the medical exam ($295-$298) at one of the two locations approved for this.

At your interview make sure you have everything required, you are given a ticket and wait to be called and turn in required documents, and pay for the visa ($325). Then you will be called again via the same number and be sworn in and proceed with the interview where they will tell you if you are approved or not.

Afterwards if approved they will keep your spouse passport and receive an email when to pick it up with the visa. Remember you have to pay for the green card as well I think it was $189 dollars or around that.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I just went thru the process, if you are going the IR1/CR1(marriage) route. Good luck if its for a tourist (non-immigrant) visa.

I did the process myself no need for a lawyer to help. I live in Dominican Republic so I went with Direct Consular Filing (DCF). If you qualify (IE have proof that you have been in DR more than 6 months) its a quick process, takes about 4-6 months versus 8-12 months via NVC (National Visa Center, from the States). You have to file a I-130 (Petition cost $420 dollars) and the embassy, afterwards you will get an approval letter (with your case number) if everything checks out. Then you have to file DS-260 online on www.ustraveldocs.com (create a profile) and schedule appointments for VAC (Biometrics) and Consular interview. During this time you should get your I-864 form completed and have your spouse complete the medical exam ($295-$298) at one of the two locations approved for this.

At your interview make sure you have everything required, you are given a ticket and wait to be called and turn in required documents, and pay for the visa ($325). Then you will be called again via the same number and be sworn in and proceed with the interview where they will tell you if you are approved or not.

Afterwards if approved they will keep your spouse passport and receive an email when to pick it up with the visa. Remember you have to pay for the green card as well I think it was $189 dollars or around that.

Thanks

I get the impression that is a bit tough for him. He wants to take his meat home, this dude needs a visa NOW!!

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
I get the impression that is a bit tough for him. He wants to take his meat home, this dude needs a visa NOW!!

HUG,

I get that too, lol. Need to do your research on the process and on the person you are trying to bring, and remember if you do bring that person you are responsible for that person not to be a burden on the government (IE you are responsible for 40 quarters or until that person becomes a US citizen).

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2014

Thanks
$1,235 in entry fees??? Wow!
40 quarters is 10 years....whoa.
Man, if she cAnnot get here on her own then dont even bring up trying to get her a visa.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
HUG,

I get that too, lol. Need to do your research on the process and on the person you are trying to bring, and remember if you do bring that person you are responsible for that person not to be a burden on the government (IE you are responsible for 40 quarters or until that person becomes a US citizen).

Thanks.

When I first saw this thread, I was close to posting exactly something like this... If one is not ready to do the homework, usually nothing big comes out of anything...

That was nice to read your post of your experience, I compared that to our visa process a few years back (to EU, not to US), and I just feel bad for any legit applicants, as the processes are nothing of a like to EU. Everything much easier (well, at least if you have your papers right) and faster, there are much less people applying for these as well though.

I?m glad that you were successful in the process, based on your detailed description, you knew exactly what you were doing...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sponsoring a fianc?, wife or family members is not overly complicated. If you can read you can fill out the paperwork. No need for a lawyer. And you will probably succeed in getting those people visas. I have done it four times and all four successfully.

If you are looking for a visitor's visa for a Dominican girlfriend or boyfriend, the most likely result is she (he) will not get one. They have to convince the agent they will return to the DR. You have nothing to do with that convincing other than potentially making their chances worse. Since so many of their countrymen have remained illegally in the US, that convincing is very difficult.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
THE OP is long gone, BRONG, get the keys!
Oh, it's legal, should be Uranus thread.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
$1,235 in entry fees??? Wow!
40 quarters is 10 years....whoa.
Man, if she cAnnot get here on her own then dont even bring up trying to get her a visa.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

Those numbers kind of shocked me too. Ouch. When I did this 40 years ago [he already had a US tourist visa, but we did the K1 route so he could work immediately upon arrival] I think it was a grand total of $20 for the application. And no way was it a 10 year financial commitment. If I remember correctly, he had a green card issued immediately, but it was temporary for 2 years. At two years we had to prove we were still together, he needed a bunch of medical tests, and that was it.