10 yr visa to usa.

Richard Hertz

Sep 30, 2015
Good Day,
Mother in law recieved visa to travel to US. from DR. It is a 10 year tourist visa. Does a return ticket have to be purchased in advance and shown when departing?
thank you

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Legally, no. However, it's extremely wise to have a return ticket at the time you enter the U.S. Just because your mother-in-law has a visa doesn't mean that the CBP is going to admit her with it. If they don't believe that she's coming to the U.S. as a true tourist, then they may place her in removal proceedings.

Last edited:

Richard Hertz

Sep 30, 2015
Thank You

Legally, no. However, it's extremely wise to have a return ticket at the time you enter the U.S. Just because your mother-in-law has a visa doesn't mean that the CBP is going to admit her with it. If they don't believe that she's coming to the U.S. as a true tourist, then they may place her in removal proceedings.

i suspected that was the case..

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015

Wrong, she and anybody on a B2 Visa needs that to check in the airline, she will not go anywhere with a one way ticket

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
every day, I have a B1/B2 visa and use it quite often for work related travel...and that applies to every country in the world that you can not prove citizenship or permanent residency.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Any airline here Dominican will let you checkin if you do not have a return ticket purchased unless if you are legal resident of the country that you are traveling or citizenship.

I have traveled to Canada few times and when I book the return ticket with diferent airline they alwasy ask me to show the return ticket, also sometimes in when I go for inmigration registry they asked how may days I will stay and sometimes ask me to show my return ticket.