the time has come, gringos fuera

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting notice today about migracion deporting a bunch of foreigners who overstayed their tourist card. 4 iraquis, a german and a colmbian. 29 more are in the process of repatriation.
http://hoy.com.do/migracion-deporta-seis-extranjeros-ilegales-de-diferentes-nacionalidades/

i am kinda taking it with a grain of salt for the german man is the very same guy who was arrested by interpol last week. but... things are taking an interesting turn. curiouser and curiouser.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If I'm reading that right, it says they didn't qualify under the regularization plan. Does that mean they applied? And got arrested for trying???

I just asked Mr. AE what he'll do if they arrest me, and he assures me it won't ever happen. Why don't I feel better????

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If I'm reading that right, it says they didn't qualify under the regularization plan. Does that mean they applied? And got arrested for trying????

the german guy who was nabbed by interpol has committed the crime in 2014 so even if he arrived in DR immediately afterwards he would not have qualified at all. La repatriaci?n de los seis extranjeros ilegales que no cumplieron con los requisitos dentro del Plan de Regularizaci?n simply means that they did not fulfill the general requisite of either regularizing their status or leaving.

also note that of the 29 expecting deportation 15 are indians who were caught last week trying to get to PR in a yola. not much in terms of why the other ones are in a group but it may be that they have broken dominican laws and instead of being punished and released they are due to be deported.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I find this article, if accurate, very interesting. It says "these individuals did not qualify for the regularization plan" If it is known they did not qualify then they must have applied and been turned down. Upon receiving notice they were turned down for whatever reason, they were probably given "x" amount of days to leave the island and chose not too.
Since they know exactly where to locate all of the foreigners who applied and were turned down, I think we will probably see more of this in the future.

I never applied. Was told while standing in line I would not qualify because I had not been living in the country illegally since before October of 2011. Now that I look back on it, I'm glad I didn't. The last thing I need to deal with is immigration knocking on my door at some odd hour of the morning with a deportation order in hand. The next time I fly out of here I plan on paying the overstay fee and returning sometime in the near future. Whether or not I will be allowed to return is obviously beyond my control at this point but I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

STAY OFF THE YOLAS!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ain't none of us going anywhere!!!
The DR has been deporting undocumented foreigners for years. A few thousand per year, if that. Most seem t o have legal problems as the reason they are sent packing.
Stop "looking under your beds"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Just a matter of time whether weeks, months or a few years or unfortunate circumstance for the remaining undocumented, and the clock definitely starts ticking once you get entered into the Immigration database and having your passport swiped is one such way. After that your entry and exit dates are recorded and you status is clear....tourist with maximum permitted stays, resident, work permits holder or other special visa. If this information is or ever gets shared with other authorities we enter a new phase.

Where and how did this mixed group get rumbled is more the question to ask.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
My view of this is that there were specific reasons for these repatriations but there are definitely all the signs that the clock is definitely ticking away , as ju10prd says .I think that we will have a master central computer sooner rather than later in this country, there will be a sharing of information and that will make it necessary for all to comply with different laws including the law on immigration , on working and on income .We are seeing many more questions being asked in banks now regarding transfers and now Amet are asking gringos who are driving with a foreign licence the date of their last entry into the DR , are making random checks of residency cards together with cedulas and in the central immigration office they can tell you now ,immediately , all your entry and exit dates and if you have paid the overstay fines.
I agree with TS Dad that the law is the law I can see no reason why people should not conform with the law in the country in which they live, although I know hundreds who do not.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If I'm reading that right, it says they didn't qualify under the regularization plan. Does that mean they applied? And got arrested for trying???

I just asked Mr. AE what he'll do if they arrest me, and he assures me it won't ever happen. Why don't I feel better????

he told me ...he would replace you with a younger sleeker model of the local model

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Told you so !!! Why do you think I did not register ?? Because I knew I would not qualify and that was my question from the very beginning.... What will happen if you are not accepted ? NOW they will know who you are.

So by not registering, THEY don't know who and where I am... Gotcha !! Now the "sacro-saint follow the law" advocates are screwed...

And when I think they were b**ching at me for wanting to stay under the radar, telling me I was purposely breaking the law. Yeah right !!!

I'll drink to that...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Told you so !!! Why do you think I did not register ?? Because I knew I would not qualify and that was my question from the very beginning.... What will happen if you are not accepted ? NOW they will know who you are.

So by not registering, THEY don't know who and where I am... Gotcha !! Now the "sacro-saint follow the law" advocates are screwed...

And when I think they were b**ching at me for wanting to stay under the radar, telling me I was purposely breaking the law. Yeah right !!!

I'll drink to that...

actually, although i agree with your reasons for not applying, you had nothing to lose. i know people who have lived here permanently for a little over a year, and got their regularization fine and dandy.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please post when someone that is not a criminal or other "special case", just some person that was here too long is deported.

There are many who still don't "believe" that type of deportation, just for staying too long, will ever happen.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I'll drink to that...

And when you are asked for you cedula when you are out and about? Then what?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
actually, although i agree with your reasons for not applying, you had nothing to lose. i know people who have lived here permanently for a little over a year, and got their regularization fine and dandy.

Regularization is all well and good. It gives people two years to become residents. But if they cannot qualify to become residents, then it is just a delay before they are illegal again. And in the data base.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Regularization is all well and good. It gives people two years to become residents. But if they cannot qualify to become residents, then it is just a delay before they are illegal again. And in the data base.

two years is better than no years. a lot can change and transpire in that amount of time. if you have no regularization, you might have two weeks.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
And when you are asked for you cedula when you are out and about? Then what?

The downside is........ 'charlise' cannot travel abroad either without entering the immigration database.

By the way no mention of overstay fees on new immigration website now either (it is being developed so this may follow) .......so maybe as you have stated often they have to follow the existing law to avoid awkward questions on possible discrimination against Haitians.

Read again what DGM have just posted:

La DGM expresa en la nota, que no tiene extranjeros favoritos para ser deportados por violaci?n a la ley de migraci?n que rige ese organismo.