Platanos 30 pesos each??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nope, or at least not yet:
http://www.diariolibre.com/economia...ara-a-rd-30-la-unidad-por-la-sequia-FB1388878
“Los pl?tanos duraron unos meses a 13 y 14 pesos, y la semana pasada llegaron a 16, no en el detallista de aqu?, sino en el cami?n, lo que quiere decir que posiblemente, en este mercado, pronosticamos que el pl?tano pueda llegar a 18 y hasta a 20 pesos en el cami?n, lo que significa que ahora al consumidor le puede estar llegando a 25”, dijo el presidente de la Federaci?n de Comerciantes del Mercado Nuevo, Luis Taveras.
Adem?s, el dirigente comercial vaticin? que si la situaci?n sigue como va, pues sencillamente los consumidores tendr?n que pagar los pl?tanos hasta a RD$30 la unidad (...)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
We just paid $22 pesos each yesterday at Bravo on their Tuesday sale for platano maduro.

Looks like that may be the regular price without the discount, I hate the way the stores now show any discount at the bottom of the receipt and not always itemized.

Last edited:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
A year back one could buy a good branch of green plantains for about 200rd on the roadside in the Cibao. It therefore seems inconceivable that those same farmers will be selling that branch now for close on 1000 pesos and makes me think the middlemen are taking a big cut exploiting the drought at a time when transport costs should have dropped.

Would be interesting to hear of anybody buying a branch at roadside and the cost.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
10 Pesos at our colmado in Sosua Bella Vista. Tia in el Bate Sosua says 12-15

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Plantains are in the $20 range at Bravo and at some colmados. They are significantly lower at my favorite Vegetalera on Av. Argentina.

In Los Hospedajes, they are less than 1/2 of the Bravo or Colmado price.

And they are "stems" or bunches, NOT "branches" .....JEJEJE

HB

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Yesterday, Wednesday. offered a large bunch around 20 plantains for 450 pesos - this was from one of the roadside stalls outside Maimon.

A year back one could buy a good branch of green plantains for about 200rd on the roadside in the Cibao. It therefore seems inconceivable that those same farmers will be selling that branch now for close on 1000 pesos and makes me think the middlemen are taking a big cut exploiting the drought at a time when transport costs should have dropped.

Would be interesting to hear of anybody buying a branch at roadside and the cost.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jose luis in POP sells platanos at 20 pesos. my workers' reports vary between 10 and 17 pesos. this weekend we plan to buy a razimo from platano truck, i will report the cost.

POP will be a bit fcuked too, few days ago we had a tornado in the area and what was not destroyed by drought got finished off by strong winds. it's a good time to buy razimo or two. i always have my maid peel and cut them and off to the freezer they go.

May 29, 2006
Razimo = Full stem?

I think there may have been a story a while back about the DR working to process platinos into a shelf stable flour. They've been doing it in African countries for some time now. Not good when one of three staples only lasts a week or so after harvest.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
jose luis in POP sells platanos at 20 pesos. my workers' reports vary between 10 and 17 pesos. this weekend we plan to buy a razimo from platano truck, i will report the cost.

POP will be a bit fcuked too, few days ago we had a tornado in the area and what was not destroyed by drought got finished off by strong winds. it's a good time to buy razimo or two. i always have my maid peel and cut them and off to the freezer they go.

I've never tried that - does it affect the taste when you cook them? Do you use them to make tostones, or just boiled/mashed after they've been frozen?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not make tostones, seems like too much work ;) i freeze platanos all the time. it's worth to cut them in 2 or 3 pieces, they boil faster. pop them in a pot of water, cook until soft. add a spoon of vinegar to water. they come out a bit darker than when boiled fresh but i do not mind. for me it is a quick fix. i know how to peel them but i am slow. my maid does it really fast. it really shortens preparation time. making lunch takes me about 30 minutes, while verduras boil i make meat and salad. i also freeze yuca and batatas. batatas do become much darker after cooking but they taste just as good.

peter, yes, razimo is entire bunch. and there is a dominican company making flour from platanos, garbanzos, batatas and yuca. you can find it in health food section. expensive thou because the bags are very small. i would love to start cooking/baking with those but i don't know any recipes. :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
there is a dominican company making flour from platanos, garbanzos, batatas and yuca. you can find it in health food section. expensive thou because the bags are very small. i would love to start cooking/baking with those but i don't know any recipes. :(
EVA
https://www.facebook.com/EvaProductosnaturales (Note that the website referenced on their Facebook page does not work).

I've bought several of their products - they sell coconut oil, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and desiccated coconut as well as all those types of flour. I'm particularly pleased about the chickpea flour, which is the main ingredient in my national dish - I used to have to bring it from home until recently.

http://www.mamalotties.com/calentita/

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, chiri, that's them. any ideas on the use of other flours they make?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Purchased platanos yesterday from the colmado and they were RD$16/ea. for maduros. Pesos or two more for verde.