Travelling for 2 months

LegendaryXD

Sep 28, 2013
I have been to the country for vacations for 2 weeks at a time, and when i book, i would buy a return ticket with it. I want to go for a longer period of time like 2 months to visit friends and family members. My question is, do I have to buy a return ticket with my fight?

A bit of background information : My mother currently lives in Dominican Republic and my father is Canadian. I was born in Puerto Plata. My canadian passport states my nationality as Canadian but once the dominican officials see my place of birth, they treat me as a Dominican. For example, the entrance fee a couple years ago was $20 and I didn't have to pay it.

Do I have to book a return ticket or can it just be one way? I am dominican and canadian. Would they give me a hard time about it?

also, would it affect anything if i fly from usa instead of Canada?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have been to the country for vacations for 2 weeks at a time, and when i book, i would buy a return ticket with it. I want to go for a longer period of time like 2 months to visit friends and family members. My question is, do I have to buy a return ticket with my fight?

A bit of background information : My mother currently lives in Dominican Republic and my father is Canadian. I was born in Puerto Plata. My canadian passport states my nationality as Canadian but once the dominican officials see my place of birth, they treat me as a Dominican. For example, the entrance fee a couple years ago was $20 and I didn't have to pay it.

Do I have to book a return ticket or can it just be one way? I am dominican and canadian. Would they give me a hard time about it?

also, would it affect anything if i fly from usa instead of Canada?

You are more likely to get hassle from the airlines than the DR immigration with regard to return ticket. Jet Blue and American normally ask for your return ticket but apparently some other carriers do not. So best check with them first.

As for a two month stay, that is not a problem based upon the law and current advice which allows a 60 days extension of your tourist card 30 day stay, and says you can pay for your expected extended stay (currently RD2500) on departure. Do expect to pay the tourist card which is $10 before immigration.

There was a recent change to immigration systems which caused some problems back in June and was apparently due to Immigration enforcing Dominicans with US passports to pay the overstay fees. So don't expect any favors travelling on a Canadian passport this time.

LegendaryXD

Sep 28, 2013
You are more likely to get hassle from the airlines than the DR immigration with regard to return ticket. Jet Blue and American normally ask for your return ticket but apparently some other carriers do not. So best check with them first.

As for a two month stay, that is not a problem based upon the law and current advice which allows a 60 days extension of your tourist card 30 day stay, and says you can pay for your expected extended stay (currently RD2500) on departure. Do expect to pay the tourist card which is $10 before immigration.

There was a recent change to immigration systems which caused some problems back in June and was apparently due to Immigration enforcing Dominicans with US passports to pay the overstay fees. So don't expect any favors travelling on a Canadian passport this time.

thanks.

I thought the airlines would give me a hassle about that but the thing is, I can work in DR legally as well. I just want to have the option of buying a return ticket whenever i feel like coming home.

so I know I pay for tourist card before Immigration and I can get an extension of it. I pay RD 2500 for 90 days in total or just 60?

I know I can buy a return ticket and just try to switch it when the time comes to a later date but I would just prefer to just not have that hassle.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
As Dominican born you will not pay the $10 tourist card. As a Dominican you do not operate under the tourist rules. Should you wish to stay a long time, a cedula would be in order. You have the holy blood.

LegendaryXD

Sep 28, 2013
As Dominican born you will not pay the $10 tourist card. As a Dominican you do not operate under the tourist rules. Should you wish to stay a long time, a cedula would be in order. You have the holy blood.

That is also what I have been informed. I was going to get it last time but I didn't have my birth certificate on me. But I still think the airlines would give me a hassle about it

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can always buy a refundable return at the counter if they insist.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
That is also what I have been informed. I was going to get it last time but I didn't have my birth certificate on me. But I still think the airlines would give me a hassle about it

it is up to the airlines. Call them and ask if you need a return ticket. Since you are not a Dominican Citizen or legal resident you would probably be forced to buy a return ticket.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Flying from Canada, you will get a tourist card included in your ticket.

All airlines are erratic about asking for the return ticket.
Just show your birth on the passport... should get you by.

The rule is - Yes, you need a return flight.... calling an airline will only confirm this.

you should be fine.... but I would get that birth certificate, if it was me

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Despite what you may be told by a helpful telephone agent, it won't be until you are standing at the counter checking in for your flight that you will actually find out if you will be required to have a return ticket or not.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
That's where they ask for it....

at the counter, checking in

That or proof of residency. And as posted much depends on the person at the check in desk. Personally I have been asked for return ticket (but have shown residency) at check in with the following airlines: British Airways, American Airlines, Jet Blue, Insel Air, LIAT, Inter Caribbean and Iberia. And because the airlines can pick up the tab for deportations if they occur in the event of passengers overstaying they may start asking more often from now on.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yes, you answer by proving residency or showing a return flight....

actually, any flight out of RD........Pto Rico for example.

In this case, the birth notation on the passport might suffice.

Agreed, quite a random challenge for any airline.... you never know...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When was anyone denied entry into the DR for not having a return ticket? I would bet high that the answer is NEVER.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
actually, msany have been req'd to buy tix to return

reported often here.

it happens............ you need a return flight to enter.... by law
whether they ask, is a different story

Sep 4, 2012
My mother currently lives in Dominican Republic and my father is Canadian. I was born in Puerto Plata. My canadian passport states my nationality as Canadian but once the dominican officials see my place of birth, they treat me as a Dominican. For example, the entrance fee a couple years ago was $20 and I didn't have to pay it.

Is your mother Dominican, if so, I believe you gain her citizenship as well, thus making you Dominican. If that is the case, for traveling and immigration purposes you should be treated as Dominican/Canadian getting the best of both as permitted?

LegendaryXD

Sep 28, 2013
Is your mother Dominican, if so, I believe you gain her citizenship as well, thus making you Dominican. If that is the case, for traveling and immigration purposes you should be treated as Dominican/Canadian getting the best of both as permitted?

Yes she is Dominican. And that is what I think as well

Sent from my sexy electronic device

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
If your passport clearly shows that you were born in the D.R. then you do not need to purchase a tourist card when you arrive. Your airline should not charge you for one either but that can be a problem depending on which airline you choose and which employee you happen to deal with. Go ahead and buy a one way ticket. If you are forced to buy a return ticket, you are allowed to cancel it for a full refund within 24 hours of purchase. Just be sure to call and cancel the moment you set foot on the ground at the airport of your arrival.