Tire question

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Since I am not mechanically knowledgeable, I am asking help from anyone with better knowledge than mine - that should be easy!

I bought 4 new tires at the end of last November so 9 months old. 21K pesos.
Did not put that much mileage on the car since then. Maybe 10,000km - did not keep records.
Jeepeta Hyundai Tucson 2008.

On my last return trip from Santiago I noticed shaking when braking hard from about 80km/hr.

So today went to mechanic. He did something to the disc at the front. And re-balanced all wheels. He says the tires at the back have "escalons" i.e. they are not perfectly round but have like hum steps (?) in them. That apparently is caused by the yellow speed reducers on the POP Malecon and in Maimon. Apparently lots of people are having this problem. And I will need 2 new tires sooner rather than later.

I find it hard to believe that those speed reducers would cause the steps problem. Why did they not cause it to the front tires as well? Is the guy just trying to prepare me to buy new tires in 2-3 months?

By the way, balancing seems to have done the trick. Mechanic says no need to align wheels - they are fine. I dont think he put it on any machine to check alignment just took it for a quick road test.

Soooo, would the experts enlighten me to the world of tires in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It sounds like your vehicle was taken out of alignment. That will cause excessive tire wear on one edge or other of the tires. Those speed bumps are ridiculously high on the Malecon and might actually be the cause of such problems if you don't slow down sufficiently when crossing them.

If the brakes are not working properly, that is a separate but perhaps related issue.

Jan 9, 2004
Since I am not mechanically knowledgeable, I am asking help from anyone with better knowledge than mine - that should be easy!

I bought 4 new tires at the end of last November so 9 months old. 21K pesos.
Did not put that much mileage on the car since then. Maybe 10,000km - did not keep records.
Jeepeta Hyundai Tucson 2008.

On my last return trip from Santiago I noticed shaking when braking hard from about 80km/hr.

So today went to mechanic. He did something to the disc at the front. And re-balanced all wheels. He says the tires at the back have "escalons" i.e. they are not perfectly round but have like hum steps (?) in them. That apparently is caused by the yellow speed reducers on the POP Malecon and in Maimon. Apparently lots of people are having this problem. And I will need 2 new tires sooner rather than later.

I find it hard to believe that those speed reducers would cause the steps problem. Why did they not cause it to the front tires as well? Is the guy just trying to prepare me to buy new tires in 2-3 months?

By the way, balancing seems to have done the trick. Mechanic says no need to align wheels - they are fine. I dont think he put it on any machine to check alignment just took it for a quick road test.

Soooo, would the experts enlighten me to the world of tires in the DR?

Sounds like warped front rotors.

I believe the reference your mechanic makes to the tires is that they are "scalloping." Even if they are scalloped....this will not produce the symptoms you describe nor is it caused by the yellow speed reducers you refer to.

While there may be other possibilities for your problem.....have the front rotors checked first.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Its not your Tires.. Tires dont wear like that..
U described the problem ONLY when Braking, and braking hard.. so I concur with Playacaribe.. it sounds like the ROTORS , warped or whatever.
Just replace them with New ones. they are not worth Cutting, as was done years ago...Also replace the Brake pads and check the Wear on them. Also Bleed the Brakes Properly so you have even Pressure all the way around... Back Brake lines first , then the Front.
IF NOT , then you have a drive Train problem ( front wheel drive I assume ? ) , but if that were the case you would hear it when you make sharp slow turns which you did not describe.
Just replace the Rotors and pads you should be good to go.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Break pads would not create this kind of deformity on a tyre. And out of balance would have caused wearing that was obvious that is was the balance. If it was balance you would have barrier speeds, meaning it would be very obvious to even the most ignorant of car care.
DR gets everything the rest of the world doesn't want. You bought defected tyres.

Oh, and sleeping policemen do not wear or defect tyres. Even if hitting them fast, constantly they would never deform like this.
Deformed tyres, is absolutely normal in DR there are many people in this business these days (expats have a big thumb in this, I know a few), importing sh1t. Cheap to the supplier and lets face it, the punter are generally ignorant.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Those yellow bumps in the road will cause bubbles in your tires if you speed through them. Believe me, I learned this the hard way. If you have this, end of tire.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Those yellow bumps in the road will cause bubbles in your tires if you speed through them. Believe me, I learned this the hard way. If you have this, end of tire.

They nip the walls of the tyre but not the tread! Not what this guy is talking about.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They nip the walls of the tyre but not the tread!

Absolutely correct. You will see bubbles on the sides. This means new tire or take a big risk driving with this.

Did you ever think you would see Dominican drivers slowing to a full stop at the yellow bumps? They found out the hard way also.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The guy is talking about wear on the tread of the tyre (I think), which is a defect 100%.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Thank you for all opinions and advice.

So I understand that I probably have 2 separate issues: defective rear tires and front wheels that needed attention.

If I bought defective tires, which would not surprise me, would it not have shown when they got balanced before installing? humm that was a stupid question given the same people sold me the tires and balanced them and installed them. Lesson learned. I bought them in Santiago.

The shaking while braking has gone away after balancing the front tires and doing the thing to the front disc. I assume disc = rotor? What he did to the disc is shown on the bill as "retificacione" which I assumed meant that he shaved flat those things that are warped for whatever reason.

If the shaking while braking returns then I will go to a different mechanic and get those rotors checked properly.

I went to Torfilco in POP which normally is one of the "better" place, isn't it?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
What he did to the disc is shown on the bill as "retificacione" which I assumed meant that he shaved flat those things that are warped for whatever reason.

No, that means he 'rectified' the problem (he probably doesn't pronounce the 'c' and so didn't spell it properly and put an 'e' on the end for browny points).

rectification = rectificaci?n

bdwalker

Jul 18, 2015
If there is wear on either the inside or outside of the tread then that is an alignment problem. If there is scalloping like one of the other poster said, where the front side of the tread is higher than the backside, then that indicates that your shocks are probably bad. Letting the tire hop causing an uneven wear on the tread. If you hear a hopping or popping sound while you are driving then most likely the tires are out of balance. The shaking while braking is definitely the rotors. Change both the rotors and the pads at the same time or you will still have problems again.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Whenever I have problems with my brakes I usually go to Clinica de Frenos in Puerto Plata. Ask for Rene, the owner, he is very good and his mechanics are trained by him. He will check your car out and will tell you exactly what your problem is and how much it will cost, you decide on the repair.

Jan 9, 2004

So I understand that I probably have 2 separate issues: defective rear tires and front wheels that needed attention.

If I bought defective tires, which would not surprise me, would it not have shown when they got balanced before installing? humm that was a stupid question given the same people sold me the tires and balanced them and installed them. Lesson learned. I bought them in Santiago.

The shaking while braking has gone away after balancing the front tires and doing the thing to the front disc. I assume disc = rotor? What he did to the disc is shown on the bill as "retificacione" which I assumed meant that he shaved flat those things that are warped for whatever reason.

If the shaking while braking returns then I will go to a different mechanic and get those rotors checked properly.

I went to Torfilco in POP which normally is one of the "better" place, isn't it?

Rotors warp because of excessive heat.

Next time around, have your mechanic check to make sure the calipers are not hanging up......and causing the heat buildup.

The tires are a different issue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
ok will check the shocks as well.

to answer a poster's question, the scalloping is on the thread not on the walls.

Clinica de frenos is excellent suggestion.

will look again in day light for how the threads are wearing.

Thank you all!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

first of all, please tell us what is the make of the tires in question. if the brand is something like Beautiful Rainbow, or Family Happiness, then you bought some Chinese crap, and you should consider yourself lucky you got 10k kilometers out of them.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
OP,

Was the vehicle garaged for sometime?

I dont have a garage, just a carport or what they call here a marquesena I think. It has been used most days at least a little bit. There are some serious potholes where I live. Maybe the shocks got a beating.

One of the break lines developed a leak in June so that part was repaired and new fluid put in.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
first of all, please tell us what is the make of the tires in question.

That wouldn't necessarily matter. You could buy top range tyres in DR looking brand new, and if they were factory rejects which DR imports loads of then..............................