Hello another dreamer here!

Feldbets

Sep 30, 2015
Hello folks,

I?m a 23 year old Dutch/Dominican who recently moved to the DR (from the lovely cold and dull Netherlands) to try out and discover the country for the coming year. And learn if this place is the home I?ve been looking for.

For someone who has been to the DR for quite a few vacations I know surprisingly little about the country. So I?m glad to find this forum with a wealth of information available, and am looking forward to join in on the banter and exchange of experiences! :D

For anyone wondering I currently live in Santo Domingo (El Renacimiento), but I?ve already discovered I like Santiago quite a bit more!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hello folks,

I?m a 23 year old Dutch/Dominican who recently moved to the DR (from the lovely cold and dull Netherlands) to try out and discover the country for the coming year. And learn if this place is the home I?ve been looking for.

For someone who has been to the DR for quite a few vacations I know surprisingly little about the country. So I?m glad to find this forum with a wealth of information available, and am looking forward to join in on the banter and exchange of experiences! :D

For anyone wondering I currently live in Santo Domingo (El Renacimiento), but I?ve already discovered I like Santiago quite a bit more!

As a long term resident of Renacimiento/Cacicazgos I can understand that you might think it dull and boring even by Dutch standards, it's a kind of family orientated area, but there are some fun places fairly close by.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the DR and, of course, to Santiago.

Are you still studying? Or have you finished in Holland? With your language skills, you should be able to find work here pretty easily.

Good Luck

HB

Feldbets

Sep 30, 2015
Thanks for all the welcomes!

As a long term resident of Renacimiento/Cacicazgos I can understand that you might think it dull and boring even by Dutch standards, it's a kind of family orientated area, but there are some fun places fairly close by.
Please do share. :D

Welcome to the DR and, of course, to Santiago.

Are you still studying? Or have you finished in Holland? With your language skills, you should be able to find work here pretty easily.

Good Luck

HB
I'm still living in SD and have only visited Santiago a couple of times now. Might look into moving there in a couple of months though.
Got a BA in Game Design and am working online for now. What kind of jobs would be available locally?

Where in the Netherlands are you from?
Almere.

With being Dutch/Dominican, aren't you coming home of sorts?!?!
Definitely feels like it. Still plenty of times I feel like a stranger though. :D

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stay with your on line job. It will almost certainly be far better than a job you can get locally.

Feldbets

Sep 30, 2015
Stay with your on line job. It will almost certainly be far better than a job you can get locally.
I'm lucky enough to only have to work a couple of hours a day. So once I have my paperwork resolved I'm probably going to look for something local on the side. Just to for some extra money and to get the opportunity to meet people.

That explains why you say the Netherlands is dull. Is there a worse place to live in the Netherlands than Almere?
Hahaha probably not. Although I've lived in Deventer and Amsterdam as well and wasn't blown away either. I'm going to assume you're a Dutch expat as well, are the many of you down here?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm lucky enough to only have to work a couple of hours a day. So once I have my paperwork resolved I'm probably going to look for something local on the side. Just to for some extra money and to get the opportunity to meet people.

Hahaha probably not. Although I've lived in Deventer and Amsterdam as well and wasn't blown away either. I'm going to assume you're a Dutch expat as well, are the many of you down here?
There are Dutch expats here, not that many (active) on dr1, maybe 5 or 6, as far as I know.

I'm from Overijssel, probably dull as well, compared to many other places, but dull is not necessarily bad.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If you are working on Game designs and able to work online then you are way ahead of the game (pun intended), I wish you luck. Yes, Santiago is more friendly and local to a good people scene than the Capital. All the best.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Welcome, I also work online and some of what I do is also related to the gaming industry (Definitely better than most local jobs). I love Santiago, you should definitely look into moving to Santiago and maybe taking some classes in PUCMM to get to know the young crowd.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Welcome from me too here. Do you still speak Spanish? As Mauricio wrote; not many Dutch on this forum but many expats from all over the world are surelly willing to help you with your questions.
. As Mauricio, I'm Dutch aswell and speak Dominican Spanish with a nice Gronings accent.