I fell in love in DR

J1991

Oct 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

I went to DR for a summer vacation, I was there for about 2 months. The last thing I wanted to occur was for me to fall in love. I haven't been in a relationship for 5 years and I wasn't looking for one. Anyways, the 3rd day I was there I saw this guy and it was like love at first sight. I text my sister and cousins and told them how beautiful he was. About two days later I was playing dominoes with my sister in law and she told him to come play with us. As soon as she left to get something to drink he asked for my number. You could just imagine how happy I was. We clicked so fast. We were so obsessed with each other for those two months. He would show me off to everyone; his friends, his family, and strangers. He even put my picture on his whatsapp profile picture which is still there. After the last day came of my stay at the DR, we both cried so much. As soon as I got back home (US) my mother found out that I was dating a Dominican guy and all hell broke loose. She told me that I must be crazy for dating this guy. She said she was born and raise in the Dominican Republic and she says that she knows her race more than me and that the guy I'm dating is just using me to get a visa and for my money (which I don't have 'cause I don't have a Job). We still talk and text all the time. He has never ask me for money even though he's poor but you just never know. I feel like my mother has brain washed me to believe that he's using me. I even broken up with him not to long ago and he called me crying everyday until I decided to get back with him 3 days later.

I need some advise. Do you think my mom might be right and maybe this guy might be using me?
If not, how can I get her to understand that he's not like other Dominican men.
She tells me shes going to let go of the situation but then starts arguing with me about it a few days later saying I deserve better.
My Father also feels the same way or maybe worst about Dominican men when he finds out I'm going to be scared for my life.
By the way I'm 24 lol

J1991

Oct 1, 2015

I think in order for people to give an accurate assessment of your relationship or what you should do you need to say more about your boyfriend. What type of work does he do etc.
He's a cowboy.
He buys and sells cows and bulls
He works with my uncle usually from 8am-9pm
He has a 4 year old daughter and her mother has a boyfriend
when I was in DR he would always tell me to marry him which over there it meant running away at night and moving in with him

J1991

Oct 1, 2015
I am sure that your uncle can give you a good assessment of his character, since he works with him. Before all of the negative posters arrive in the morning; I will say that so far you haven't listed anything which should definitely disqualify him. You should however not totally discount the advice given to you by your mother or uncle. I assume that he is a camposino if he works with cows and bulls, many of the more honest men I have seen who work and support their families both in the DR and America are camposinos.

Thank you for your advise. Yes, with the little he has he tries to spoil me. For example: we went out to the club and he spent 2,000 pesos which is probably what he makes in a week.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That 2,000 pesos was an investment.

Marry into the boss's family, good way to get ahead.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
1. He's hot looking, I'm not
2. We are both hot looking
3. I'm hot looking, he is not

As long as you do not fall into category #1, your risk is probably limited.

P.S. Do not discard your mothers advice as mother knows best ;)

J1991

Oct 1, 2015
1. He's hot looking, I'm not
2. We are both hot looking
3. I'm hot looking, he is not

As long as you do not fall into category #1, your risk is probably limited.

P.S. Do not discard your mothers advice as mother knows best ;)

Lol, I'm hot and my family doesn't find him attractive at all but I do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a young 24 year old who lives in the States, you could be a meal ticket out of the cow pastures...but you need to know that.
Did you ever look at Hillbilly's Three golden Rules>
1) Same educational level as you...knows how to read a newspaper and write--more than LOL and KLK...
2) Same economic level (him in pesos and you in dollars) you cannot become the Sugar Momma
3) He should have a visa to somewhere and have traveled....

I wrote them many years ago and I might have changed them a little...but you need more that a hot, virile young man...you need to be able to talk about more than entertainers and people.

And, of course, you should probably follow your momma's advice....

HB

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Is this story for real ?? Seriously ??

There is nothing wrong with maintaining a relationship with this guy, as long as you have your eyes wide open. I would continue to talk to him on line and see where it goes. Dominican men, however, do not have a good track record, especially in long distance relationships. Proceed slowly. Your parent know what they are talking about. Don't get swept away with this. You have Island fever. Slow down and breath.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
1. Mother knows best.
2. Did you meet his Dominican girlfriend uh I mean cousin?
3. You did not need to come on to an internet site to confirm your fears. Enjoy the sex, lose the I'm in love junk.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Lol, I'm hot and my family doesn't find him attractive at all but I do.

Wow, Lucky him, you're young, you're hot and his one and only true love.

Something impossible to find here.

Oh, and his ticket to America!

2076ekz.jpg

Time to move this thread to "Men from mars and women from venus" or "Never, Never Land".

2i92utz.jpg

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
"Lol, I'm hot" = fat or ugly or both and/or a sock puppet, perhaps to boost post count.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

Wow, Lucky him, you're young, you're hot and his one and only true love.

Something impossible to find here.

Oh, and his ticket to America!

2076ekz.jpg

Time to move this thread to "Men from mars and women from venus" or "Never, Never Land".

2i92utz.jpg

Yep.

Moved.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I doubt it. Looks like a sock fueling the flames.

I cant believe people fall for these stories.. its mind numbing already..
who writes like that.. there is no emotion in it , only words strung together to get a response.
good grief

Since this is not in the Mars and Venus Section...

just As a comparison.
on a Radio show yesterday. the topic was like " the ones you just can let go of"... Ex's who moved on, but you never quite got over. Facebook interactions with people from Long ago, etc etc.
this one woman called, within like 2 sentences you could feel her pain. and she was not crying, or emotional, but the emotion in the words you could just feel it.
So Unless you write romance novels or some sheit, You cant fake emotion with your words strung together.
unless its real, then it just comes naturally and it flows..

Sock puppet.. yeagh, ya think.

Last edited: