One Post Wonders

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I've been seeing many first time posters on the board, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one that notices that they never respond to their own threads? I guess they are called spammers as was reported by Robert at one time. What I don't understand is what these so called spammers (if the term is correct) gain from doing this? Are these just no life people with nothing better to do, or is there a specific goal in mind?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The ones that spring up through the night and bombard the board with advertising are just asvertising, they make money on the more websites they can get the product or cause onto.
Those who come on with a 'Mars and Venus' story then vanish, I believe are already members, bored and sad, desperate for attention. They know Mars n Venus stuff always goes on longer than other drivel, only already active members would know this.

Forum boards are time killers for 99% of poster. The vast majority of regulars on this forum do not need advice or information, nor is anyone on here because they have anything better to do. Hell, even the Mods 'volunteer' to earn Robert money which in itself shows the level of bordom the forum attracts. A psychological concept that if bottled would be priceless!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Each to their own HUG and maybe Forum boards are just time killers. For me , I am only here to try to keep some balance so that readers who are only reading and not contributing can see that at least there is one person who prefers to see the good points about the DR and ignores the bad rather than the majority who tend to pick the bad or annoying or aggravating things about the DR and forget all the good things here. I think that one time posters usually post negatively just as airline travellers do on airline boards ..only when something goes wrong .

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Each to their own HUG and maybe Forum boards are just time killers. For me , I am only here to try to keep some balance so that readers who are only reading and not contributing can see that at least there is one person who prefers to see the good points about the DR and ignores the bad rather than the majority who tend to pick the bad or annoying or aggravating things about the DR and forget all the good things here. QUOTE]

Really, you are on DR1 for the interests of others? (not sure if that is sad or cute) Would that not fall into the category of 'got nothing better to do' like everyone else?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Each to their own HUG and maybe Forum boards are just time killers. For me , I am only here to try to keep some balance so that readers who are only reading and not contributing can see that at least there is one person who prefers to see the good points about the DR and ignores the bad rather than the majority who tend to pick the bad or annoying or aggravating things about the DR and forget all the good things here. I think that one time posters usually post negatively just as airline travellers do on airline boards ..only when something goes wrong .

Let me join your team. I feel the same that there are lurkers who may read something positive but don't bother to respond because of the likes of some other posters.......... wink-wink

I remember years back when on a daily basis there were a half dozen new posters everyday asking travel information. Now DR1 may get a poster or two a week wanting to know how to get from point A to point B.

Sure I have posted some negative reports in the past especially incidents with the PN but my life is happy enough where I don't need to make a dozen posts a day complaining about something.

Yes indeed, I am retired and plenty of time everyday to do nothing or do a million things. Sometimes having nothing to do is just fine with me.....

But what I think the OP is getting at is the poster who makes one poster complaining about something bad that happened and never returns to update. Example, yesterday a post was made about an hotel in la zona complaing and the OP never responded. But then again that poster has a track record of doing that.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes bigbird .You are right. They tend to start with a complaint or a repport of something disagreeable to them , they get reponses but by that time have disappeared ..and I fell in to the trap yesterday of giving first hand information...and for what purpose !!!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
One-post wonders usuaaly fall unfer the category of "sock pupet". To me, they're easy to spot. They've been seen mostly in the Mars/Venus section, but can be found elsewhere on the site from time to time.

They have the same story, the same writing style and only post once. Why they behave in this manner I do not know, all I know is they are predictable.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One-post wonders usuaaly fall unfer the category of "sock pupet". To me, they're easy to spot. They've been seen mostly in the Mars/Venus section, but can be found elsewhere on the site from time to time.

They have the same story, the same writing style and only post once. Why they behave in this manner I do not know, all I know is they are predictable.

maybe it?s the same guy everytime.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

And if I'm not mistaken as AE mentioned to me, a "sock puppet" is a person using more than one sign in name? Seems funny that someone would go to these extremes but then again, people are always full of surprises.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
And if I'm not mistaken as AE mentioned to me, a "sock puppet" is a person using more than one sign in name? Seems funny that someone would go to these extremes but then again, people are always full of surprises.

In the words of Peter Griffin:

[video=youtube;lWsuokWmEZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsuokWmEZI[/video]

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

We have had a few posters not aware of our in house system (AE detector) that have intentionally created a username and posted in Mars/Venus with a bogus story.

Caught red handed!!!!!!!!!!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
The reason I started this thread is that I was interested if there was some sort of monetary reward these people got by doing this or if they were just lifeless idiots. I believe I have my answer. Thanks Berzin..

Many posts are spam bots, moderators look after them in due course!

More than 1 I.d. is not allowed on DR 1 and we have a system in place that catches these guys.

Also we issue warnings in some posts, and send pm's to the culprits.
those who do not comply are given short Vacations.

One post wonders do not have any preferential treatment.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

Forum boards are time killers for 99% of poster. The vast majority of regulars on this forum do not need advice or information, nor is anyone on here because they have anything better to do. Hell, even the Mods 'volunteer' to earn Robert money which in itself shows the level of bordom the forum attracts. A psychological concept that if bottled would be priceless!

A few years back at the height of the Sarah Palin craze I let my curiosity get the better of me and visited a site that was a forum for fans of Palin. I kept returning and then finally one day I realized that it had become "my little guilty pleasure".
The feeling of addiction was similar to what I feel when I get addicted to a reality show on t.v.
Too much time on my hands....?
Damn right.
Overwhelming curiosity about what people on the other side are thinking and saying.....?
Yep.
Character defects.....?
You betcha.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This is noble work, I wouldn't classify it as wasting time, although I would say that it is something only someone in retirement would probably do.

Can you @ least master the "reply with quote" function please?
Who are you trying to quote?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Doubt it, he already said he 'ignores' the negatives in order to live in DR. Which is a lot of ignoring. Wasn't long ago he was talking about leaving after being hoisted to the Colmado by the PN and made buy them food. lol. It's just a matter of time before he is back there again.
You can spread the positives, I'll keep it real! Deal or no deal?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tamborista, It was a posting involving both Kipling and HUG. Please enlighten me from your endless wisdom how you would prefer to see this? In bold? Highlighted? 1 person in italics?

Save your sarcasm sweet pea.
You have a box that says quote missing a bracket!
I can not tell if HUG or Kipling333 was the one quoted???

Just hit reply with quote and do not touch the bracket, and then it works like magic.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I would glad contribute with my complaints if I did not see everything so lop sided, there is no need for any more complaining. I think I am "keeping it real". I don't think being overly negative is "keeping it real".

Show me the latest great things that occurred that has been reported through this site, or others........................
Keep it real, I want to see the positives.:D