homicides in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
article in listin: http://www.listindiario.com/las-mun...gistrado-en-el-pais-en-los-ultimos-siete-anos
homicide statistics from ONE: http://www.one.gob.do/Buscador/SearchMain

and here's a break up of homicides by nationality:

2q8osbb.jpg

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
These figures don't seem accurate as they cannot even be reconciled with the small sampling on this site:
http://dominicanwatchdog.org/page-Too_many_tourists_killed_in_the_Dominican_Republic

Reclassifying homicides into lesser crimes is done all the time in many countries including the US to lower figures, I imagine it is far more prevalent here.

Without making a statement as to the validity of the government's data, I'm not sure the website you cite would be the one I'd try to recon against.

As to reclassification of homicide into lesser crimes, you mention it's done in the US, not really. The reporting rules are pretty straightforward.

Sep 4, 2012
There has been two mentions of the USA on the thread, I mentioned the UK as the comment pertained to data manipulation, which goes right along with the subject. The other two replies prevailed (they should) and mine was deleted.

May I ask why?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There has been two mentions of the USA on the thread, I mentioned the UK as the comment pertained to data manipulation, which goes right along with the subject. The other two replies prevailed (they should) and mine was deleted.

May I ask why?

maybe because you made some remark about the UK, and this dataset depicts victims, not perpetrators.

Sep 4, 2012
"Reclassifying homicides into lesser crimes is done all the time in many countries including the US to lower figures, I imagine it is far more prevalent here. "

This is the comment I replied to. Data manipulation was the rebuttal, and UK was mentioned. None of the other two mentioned anything with regards to the details (thanks BTW) you pointed to.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

May I ask why?

I don not expect you to understand why talking about the UK and US on a DR related thread might be deleted. I know better than to expect logic.

OT, could be real, could be created to go along with the new face of the DR. No more illegals, less being killed, welcome to our safe family orientated land of happiness.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
"Reclassifying homicides into lesser crimes is done all the time in many countries including the US to lower figures, I imagine it is far more prevalent here. "

This is the comment I replied to. Data manipulation was the rebuttal, and UK was mentioned. None of the other two mentioned anything with regards to the details (thanks BTW) you pointed to.

Stop crying and get on topic!

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
It would be interesting to see how the DR's reporting rules work and the oversight there is. It seems that the papers pick up on the actual cases, so it would seem pretty hard for there to be a massive deviation from the truth.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
These figures don't seem accurate as they cannot even be reconciled with the small sampling on this site.

dominican watchdog stops the count at 39 in 3 years. if you look at the statistics and discount dominicans and haitians you have 103 foreigners itemized by country in 7 years plus 56 "other foreigners" and "not specified" bringing a total to 159. i think it's fairly accurate then?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I suppose like all these types of figures there is a bit of give and take ..but it does show that foreignes are relatively safe here in comparison to Dominicans and Haitianos . Leave out the Noth Coast and foreigners do not feature in murders very often ...as far as I can see

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Interesting. Good news for Americans. Only one question. How do you tell a dead Canadian from a dead American since they cannot speak so you do not hear the "eh"? Wait a sec, I know, you look at the baseball cap and Americans have a better tan. Being a Dominican in the Dominican Republic is very dangerous.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How come Americans did not make the list or are my eyes really going? I tried the link but it did not work.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Maybe American are lumped under others? Or are we just that good. If no Americans were killed we need to get this info over to the DR tourism department right away for a press release. Dont want to get killed then visit the DR for your next vacation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How come Americans did not make the list or are my eyes really going? I tried the link but it did not work.

they are, estadounidiense.

put homicidios in search box on ONE site for more statistics.