Looking for some advice

mboydii

Mar 1, 2011
I am looking to move to either Santo Domingo or Santiago within the next 90 days. I am hoping to change my life and settle down. I am actually tired of the states. I live in Columbus, OH and I believe that this will hopefully be a life changing experience. I own a decent bit of rental property and have things set up to be managed while I am gone. As an American where would be the best place to set roots to meet people and have a great time? Santo Domingo or Santiago. Also for the record my spanish sucks. LOL

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As an American where would be the best place to set roots to meet people and have a great time?

...in the long lines at the Immigration Office to apply for residency.

Be sure to check with the embassy or consulate closest to you in the USA months before you catch your flight to the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't even pay attention to this garbage. Just get on a plane and come down. Santiago might be better for a beginner.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't even pay attention to this garbage. Just get on a plane and come down. Santiago might be better for a beginner.

exactly!!! all this immigration shyte is becoming tiresome. as SKY says, get on a plane, come down, and see how much you like, or do not like, the vibe. if it is for you, then you can worry about the other crap later. you can do the residency application next time you are back in the USA.

SKY is batting 1.00. Santiago is the ticket. it has most of wht SD has, but is more laid back.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do not make a decision as to where to live from a remote location. Come on trip and look around.

I personally would not like to live in either Santo Domingo, which I consider a dreadful place, nor Santiago which I consider not quite so bad.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I agree with windeguy. I suggested Santiago out of the two choices but there are much nicer spots to live. But you need to come down and explore yourself. Everyone has different tastes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Looking ahead - if you enjoy the exploratory trip, your rental property portfolio will be to your advantage should you decide to seek residency.

Have a read of that to see that hurdle is not as high for you as it may be for some others

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
For an American who does not speak spanish, I would strongly recommend the North Coast. Especially if you want to change your life. Why settle in a big city ? Enjoy the beaches, palm trees and life in a little town.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes Charlise , but if you read all the postings here about the problems in the North Coast and the foreigners who have trouble adapting whilst living in the North, why would he not be better in the Southwest or the east . I think that I would start off in a gated community if I could not speak spanish and steadily become adjusted .

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Santo Domingo is a no no if you don't have good Domincish/Spanish. You'll find doing even the easiest thing very difficult, no one speaks English unless they are foreign and they are few and far between. Not where you are likely to be living.
EastCoast is boring imo, Central is not Caribeany (and is boring) enough for newbies looking for palm trees and Pina Coladas, and so EastCoast or NorthCoast are the obvious answers. I've never met a newbie that didn't love the NC the first few times, unless you have kids with you. I think moving to a city s great once you've done the initial Caribbean thing. But until you've lived in a beach town you will never settle your mind wondering what you are missing compared to the noisy bullsh1t city.
Try thinking Bavaro/Punta Cana for a seriously laid back life. Or Cabarete for a little more excitement, plenty of expats or foreigners for language not to be an issue, and that little glancing danger you will notice just to spice it up a little.
You need a car where ever you live, so remember that!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Take a month and tour the island before you make any big decisions. PC/ Bavaro area is nice too. Lots of english in this area as well. As a previous poster said ignore the naysayers. If its so bad they should grace another island with thier presence.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My 2 cents. Scout the island spending at least a few days in several areas and get a bit of a feel for each area. Then rent.....don't buy. After spending quite a bit of time in D.R. over many years I suspect I will wind up on the north coast somewhere on Samana peninsula. Santo Domingo is OK but tough if you don't speak Dominican.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Quote:
"I am actually tired of the states. I live in Columbus, OH and I believe that this will hopefully be a life changing experience. I own a decent bit of rental property and have things set up to be managed while I am gone. As an American where would be the best place to set roots..." end quote

How is Cdn Gringo's advice garbage?
The OP wants to put down roots and have a life changing experience.
Informing oneself of the legalities of residence is prudent.
An exploratory visit is great!
One does not just move to a country and stay, you should have an inkling that things may be changing in the DR.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
@ the O.P., first welcome yo Dr1! Go live your dream, why not, life is to short.
Take some time, travel the island, find the place that fits you then settle in.
Good luck and keep us posted.

enmovimiento

May 14, 2015
Island life is different than Columbus, OH. Lower the bar on your expectations and you will not be disappointed. DR is good for those who use common sense and selectively choose your friends. Spanish is required regardless of your location.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You can get by without Spanish at first in places where there are many gringos, like the north coast. But I would certainly recommend learning it as soon as possible.