Chicken Wing Sauce (Buffalo style)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For a short time they also had breakfast cereals other than 100 types of corn flakes at La Sirena.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Buffalo Sauce

1 cup (8 oz) of Franks Hot Sauce (or similar Dominican sauce)
7 oz of melted margarine or butter
1 oz white vinegar.

Melt the margarine and mix together.

Deep fry the wings and mix with the suace to coat

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Buffalo Sauce

1 cup (8 oz) of Franks Hot Sauce (or similar Dominican sauce)
7 oz of melted margarine or butter
1 oz white vinegar.

Melt the margarine and mix together.

Deep fry the wings and mix with the sauce to coat

The OP is asking where do you find Frank's HS?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a Dominican hot sauce even remotely similar to Frank's ? The ones I have had might as well be pure vinegar.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There is a Dominican hot sauce even remotely similar to Frank's ? The ones I have had might as well be pure vinegar.

If you experiment, you can make a "Buffalo" type sauce with Sriracha as the base.
Try honey or duck sauce as 1/2 of the base.
Butter, blech.
I think that is what DS is referring to.

May 29, 2006
You can get canned Chipotle Peppers, right? I buzz a can of Chipotles in a quart of any Hot Sauce then add in some powdered garlic. The Chipotles add some smoke along with the heat. I prefer Tapitio over Franks when making more traditional Buffalo wings. The hot sauce in the DR is about equal to Texas Pete's: mostly vinegar and no flavor.

Another variation is Two Parts Hot Sauce to One Part Soy and One Part Worchestershire Sauce, again with some powdered garlic added.

A quart of sauce is enough for about eight pounds of wings. I go through over a gallon a year for wings. It won't go bad.

Another product to try is the Korean Kim Chi Base buzzed in a blender with other ingredients. Lots of heat and garlic, but it's thick like ketchup. I know you can get that..

41pjIQwkAyL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Pro tip: dredge your wings in corn starch before frying. Adds just a little extra crispyness to them. Don't use flour because it will burn and add a bad flavor to the oil.

And I agree, butter or margarine is not a good add in, despite it being "authentic". Something sweet like a Gen Tsao Chicken marinate goes nice with the heat. How about Mango jam with some hot sauce? Experiment. There are all kinds of flavors to play with.

stretch

Aug 25, 2005
Super Polla in Las Terrenas has a "Sure Fine" (basically no-name brand) Louisiana Hot sauce that I buy all the time. They even have an actual buffalo wing sauce too.

May 29, 2006
Being from upstate NY, the only "actual" Buffalo hot sauce is Frank's, IMHO. Otherwise, it's just hot sauce. It's getting harder to find the real stuff. A gallon of Frank's is close to $16 while the next cheaper one is around $12 and Texas Pete(mostly vinegar) is about $8. I always ask before I order.

Sadly, The Anchor Bar, which is credited with inventing Buffalo Wings, came up with their own brand of wing sauce some time ago to make a bit of extra money off of their history. Now it's considered sub par for wings in Buffalo~ a tourist trap.

I find the wings in the DR usually a bit too small. More than 12 wings to a pound and there's very little meat on them. On the plus side, the small wings are nice and crispy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I make my own.... I really like the RD ketchup (catsup) as a base.
Then I add whatever hot sauce, ground coriander , vinegar, brown sugar, etc.

It comes out differently every time with my haphazard approach....
but surprises add spice to life .... and wing sauce.

I do it and freeze them so they are ready to go on a moment's notice.

May 29, 2006
No no no no.. Wing sauce does not contain ketchup or tomato product of any kind unless you are going for a BBQ and even then, Dominican ketchup? You add more sugar to the Dominican ketchup? Perhaps you've been in the DR for too long..

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yes, I use it for BBQ.........

I throw a lot in there Peter.......

Uh oh, I've upset the master.....sorry

@ Will - I sort lost any kitchen respect I may have had with the word catsup in a recipe as well, sorry.

The ONLY sauce that uses catsup is cocktail sauce, and all you need to add is white Gold's horseradish, pinch of Tabasco!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sometimes ketchup, sometimes a store bought BBQ sauce for a base.

Like dressing a pig for a wedding....

you wouldn't recognize the finished product cf the original.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@ Will - I sort lost any kitchen respect I may have had with the word catsup in a recipe as well, sorry.

The ONLY sauce that uses catsup is cocktail sauce, and all you need to add is white Gold's horseradish, pinch of Tabasco!

All a matter of taste, I eschew cocktail sauce in favor of Dijon mustard and mayonnaise mix.

Pedestrian, that cocktail sauce..... IMO