Reader of DR1 for 4 Years

enmovimiento

May 14, 2015
Greetings to all. I bought an apartment in the Bavaro area 4 years ago. Spent maybe 2.5 years out of the last 4 here, and the other time in my place by the beach in Florida. Read a lot of interesting posts on DR1 and have often wanted to weigh in with my own experiences. I've lived, worked, and traveled in over 50 countries in the world. Retired military, and have since retired on 2 other occasions. Looking forward to future discussions. D

enmovimiento

May 14, 2015
Hey Dude

Came here to the DR to visit since one of my other trips (tour thru Russia for pic opportunities) had to be cancelled. I was trading in the US exchanges and was tired of watching my portfolio go up and down. I cashed out and bought an apartment here. Not looking at the apartment as an investment. Just a place to come and get away from the chaos in the US. The developer gave me a decent deal on the apartment I wanted, so I bought. This area has really improved from the time I made the purchase, so I'll hold on to it for a few more years, and then may decide to move on to others "things" in life. I must say "Island Life" is unique. I had spent some time in Phuket, but there is a big difference in people and ways they live, think, etc. Probably my preference...just dislike the 28 hours travel time getting there. I think that a lot of people come here looking for paradise. Seen a few crash and burn. People in these tourist areas forget that the DR is a 3rd world country. There are good people here and the not so good....but you will see this everywhere in the world. However, if you choose your contacts/friends carefully then life is not much different than living in other countries

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Greetings to all. I bought an apartment in the Bavaro area 4 years ago. Spent maybe 2.5 years out of the last 4 here, and the other time in my place by the beach in Florida. Read a lot of interesting posts on DR1 and have often wanted to weigh in with my own experiences. I've lived, worked, and traveled in over 50 countries in the world. Retired military, and have since retired on 2 other occasions. Looking forward to future discussions. D
Welcome. As someone who seems to have substantial wealth and a nice place in Florida, what advantages does the DR offer over the USA? I am personally curious, as of late with crime rising I see the main reasons for a person of wealth to spend substantial time in the DR is either family ties or chasing chicas/chicos. I know there are other reasons and would love to know them all.

enmovimiento

May 14, 2015
Dude

Wealth is subjective and a state of mind. Not looking for advantages in life at this point. Just trying to live life doing what I want where I want. Isn't that what everyone is looking for? D

enmovimiento

May 14, 2015
Worldly perspective is something I have been blessed with. All is not good; however, there is a little good (sometimes more) in everything/everywhere

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Worldly perspective is something I have been blessed with. All is not good; however, there is a little good (sometimes more) in everything/everywhere

Welcome

So true

I've visited/lived/worked in 43 countries so far and long gave up making too many comparisons with the country where I was raised. Living in developing countries has it's challenges and benefits and living in a less stressful environment where there is so much less conformity is one of them.

enmovimiento

May 14, 2015
Yes Dude

Comparisons with different cultures is just not logical. Learn, adapt, and live in the area where you are positioned. Going against the grain (especially in 3WCs is counter-productive. D

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Dude like totally OMG welcome ;)
I can say that since "dude"is part of my name.....Your worldly experience is welcome but chill on the Dudes, Dude ;)

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Hahaha!!!! Enjoying the meeting of the Dudes! I'll assume the suggestion of designation of a "Dude" and "Dudette" or "Dude" and "Dudito" would not be warmly received.