Giving birth in the DR

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Mother of premature British baby faces ?185,000 medical bill after giving birth in Dominican Republic hospital because TIME DIFFERENCE with London means her travel insurance police in invalid
Sharon Halls was in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, when she gave birth
Insurance said five-hour time difference meant policy might not be valid
Couple have been forced to move their daughter Evie to a public hospital
Set up GoFundMe page in a desperate bid to raise money for medical care

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-gave-birth-29-week-limit.html#ixzz3ncvZAju3
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Even when you think you're covered you might not be ;)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It doesn't cost that much to give birth to a child in the DR. This is just another example of the type pf perverted price-gauging once they get wind of the fact that a foreigner is involved.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they face nothing YET, the article say the bill MAY get this high if they go to a private hospital.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
If these costs are an estimation based on possible future treatment, why the GoFundMe page? I don't understand.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Centro Medico Punta Cana I would assume are the thieves that did this. I was their overnight once and my Dominican Insurance paid next to nothing for the service. This is an out and out robbery and should not be paid.

By the way I can really recommend Dr. Rodriguez at the Other Clinic down the street from the thieves. Local people get treated there with no insurance for less than the co pay at the Big Clinic. And this DR. is really on the money with anything that comes his way.

I bring employees from the Hard Rock there all the time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You lost me. Where did the bill come from?

read the article, this is ESTIMATED bill, if they move a child back to private clinic:
The couple estimate if they move Evie back to a private hospital the cost of her charges will be ?1,640 ($2,500) a day.
Doctors have advised she could be made to stay for 16 weeks, which would see the bill reach ?185,000 ($280,000).

Anyhow, the comments under the article say that they have already raised 400K pounds. .

yeah, and the comments say the water is dry. if you'd click on the fund me site you'd know that when i am typing this it stands at:

ilxfe0.jpg

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Wow..when my daughter was 3 weeks old she was in an incubator in the NICU on oxygen at CMC for 7 nights with a personal nurse with her 24 hours a day, two different paediatricians working with her, meds, etc. plus a very nice private room on the 3rd floor for myself and my husband to be close to her... and my nightly bill was no where even close to this. My total bill for the entire stay was just under $3000 for everything which included the room (zero insurance). I hope they don't end up having to pay this!! But more importantly, really hope their baby is okay! So scary. Thoughts are with the family and hoping for good health and strength for new baby!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
DV8,

That's pretty slick, how do you quote from multiple posters in one posting? Or is this something only mods can do?
Your right, the people in the comments section were in error. Last time I checked it was at 65K pounds.

Wow..when my daughter was 3 weeks old she was in an incubator in the NICU on oxygen at CMC for 7 nights with a personal nurse with her 24 hours a day, two different paediatricians working with her, meds, etc. plus a very nice private room on the 3rd floor for myself and my husband to be close to her... and my nightly bill was no where even close to this. My total bill for the entire stay was just under $3000 for everything which included the room (zero insurance). I hope they don't end up having to pay this!! But more importantly, really hope their baby is okay! So scary. Thoughts are with the family and hoping for good health and strength for new baby!

Badabing!

It might lower your post count be re-quoting multiple posters in one response.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The report I read earlier today, which is no longer available, said she was initially admitted to Hospiten Punta Cana, then taken to Hospiten Santo Domingo where she had the baby, and they were then taken to the public paediatric hospital - Robert Reid Cabral

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That's pretty slick, how do you quote from multiple posters in one posting? Or is this something only mods can do?

all bow to the power of copy and paste ;)

The report I read earlier today, which is no longer available, said she was initially admitted to Hospiten Punta Cana, then taken to Hospiten Santo Domingo where she had the baby, and they were then taken to the public paediatric hospital - Robert Reid Cabral

that's what DM says:
Ms Halls said she was initially taken to Hospiten Bavaro on September 27 - 11 days into the two-week trip - where she was told an infection had brought on early contractions.
The couple paid ?2,340 ($3,555) for a check up but the medication provided failed to work.
(...)
She was then told she had cervical cerclage and would have to go to Hospiten Santo Domingo - two hours away - for an emergency caesarean.
After hearing nothing from Infinity, the couple decided to use their savings to pay the ?6,588 ($10,000) needed for the surgery.
But before doctors could operate Ms Halls' cervical cerclage broke and Evie was born breach.
(...)
Following the decision, a medical officer from the company advised the couple to move Evie to a nearby public hospital, which they did.