Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Medical Insurance, Humano ARS

I had the Humano Max Plan for just under a year. It cost me $450 every three months for four people. I called them and said that I needed to remove my son from the plan, as he was moving back to the US, and add myself as I was no longer covered by my employer.

In order to do this, I had to cancel my old plan and start a new one. When I first signed up, I signed up through a Spanish speaking agent, over email, using Google translate. I didn't really ask a lot of questions, stupid me. This time I signed up with an English speaking agent, so I was able to ask more questions. Things I sadly did not know the first time around is that you have to wait a YEAR before they will cover anything "catastrophic". Emergencies are covered right away, but just the ER bill and consultation. After 3 months they'll pay for one nights hospital stay, after six months a little more.

Regrettably, I have experienced the DR healthcare system, before I had insurance, and was paying cash. The ER bill and consultation, the only things that would have been covered, were peanuts compared to the surgeons, surgery, and hospital stay bill. Even if I had insurance, I still would have been footing most of the bill.

To clarify, I asked, because "emergencies" are covered right away, what would be covered if I had a heart attack.

The ambulance bill, the emergency room bill, and the consultation with a cardiologist. Basically, the doctor who is going to say "yup, yer having a heart attack, yer gonna die"! What wouldn't be covered is the cath lab, surgery, hospital stay ect. because it is considered a catastrophic event. The same scenario if I had a broken leg. Only the ER visit and diagnosis from an orthopedic surgeon would be covered until you hit the 1 year mark of continuous coverage.

Office visits, cough and colds, check ups are all covered. But you cares, that stuff is dirt cheap anyways.

So, buyer be ware. I now have travel insurance. We're all covered, right now, for up to US$50,000 and it costs me $295 every three months. And that even includes evac back to the states. The agent also told me that the local hospitals love to see that insurance cause they know they can charge Gringo prices.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If I understand your post correctly, which I'm not sure I do, you did not sign for a Dominican insurance but bought a travel insurance from a US company ??

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlise View Post
    If I understand your post correctly, which I'm not sure I do, you did not sign for a Dominican insurance but bought a travel insurance from a US company ??
    I HAD Dominican insurance, Humano ARS for just under a year. When I went to change the names on the plan, they told me that my clock would "reset" and I would have to wait a full year before I had catastrophic coverage. I was unaware of the year wait the first time, so I canceled my Humano and went with a travel insurance plan.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlisle,
    he signed for the basic ARS Humano (Dominican Insurer) Plan for a family of 4, comes on around $35-$40.- per person per month.
    and he states, that such insurance plan does not start it's full coverage right away, just with basics like ER and consultation of a doctor, while for the full coverage of that anyways not high covering Max-Plan you have to wait a year to get those benefits.
    never paid attention to the Max-Plan, so don't know it in details.
    i have for several family members their so named Royal Plan, a decent basic coverage.
    the full coverage of that Plan starts at day one of the registration, but that may also be because i have those insurances running under my company, not as private person contracts.
    hence i do not need any upfront "deposit" or such nor any prepayment of 3 months at a time,
    i can pay monthly and just for that starting month.
    the higher the Plan, the higher the coverages of different things of course.
    i have also 5 persons covered under the same ARS-Humano in their Platinum Plan.
    both types of Plans been used for many different things, including costly surgeries,
    to date all been fine with the coverage.
    again,
    i could not tell about differences between a Plan taken as a private person and the Plans i have as a business.

also he stated that he has in Addition to that local DR insurance,
    a US-Travel Insurance, which is very much liked by doctors and hospitals, as they seem to be able to bill higher bills than they could bill to a DR Insurer, for the same procedures/emergencies/surgeries etc.

Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That part I understood... Just wanted to make sure I understood the last paragraph... So that's clear. You have a travel insurance that covers you and your family (?) for mas o menos 100 $ per month, for the whole family ?...

Are you covered all year long ? Here ? And it's accepted in clinica and centro medico without problem ? If so, that's interesting.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drSix View Post
    I HAD Dominican insurance, Humano ARS for just under a year. When I went to change the names on the plan, they told me that my clock would "reset" and I would have to wait a full year before I had catastrophic coverage. I was unaware of the year wait the first time, so I canceled my Humano and went with a travel insurance plan.
    sorry, posted before i could see your answer

Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlise View Post
    That part I understood... Just wanted to make sure I understood the last paragraph... So that's clear. You have a travel insurance that covers you and your family (?) for mas o menos 100 $ per month, for the whole family ?...

Are you covered all year long ? Here ? And it's accepted in clinica and centro medico without problem ? If so, that's interesting.
    Correct. I pay less for the Travel Insurance than I did the Humano, and I am covered for ANYTHING, right away. From travelers diarrhea to drunken moto accident. I specifically asked if it would be accepted at CMC(Not that I would ever go there again), and he said "Yes, they love seeing that card because they can charge Gringo prices" It is a three month policy for the whole family, with evac insurance, and I can renew it every three month for up to two years.

8. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The US State Department has a list of Travel Insurance Providers, found here.

I signed up for International Medical Group, which isn't on that list.

International SOS is on that list, and as I have previously done contract work for them, I can attest to their awesomeness. They are little expensive, but you get what you pay for.

10. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have posted that name here before... excellent company.
    Affiliated with Lloyd's of London, I think.

My coverage is RD, Canada & USA

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was upset when my wife got them as well but it seems that it's like that with every insurance company here.

Lots of stuff isn't covered until 3, 6, 9, or 12 months into the plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast