Driver Rate for one week

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Have been using the same driver for 4 years and he has always been reasonable. My wife and sister-in-law are going to DR for 8 days and his rate is 6000 from Santiago airport to Cabarete and 3500 per day to drive, BUT they won't need to be transported all that much. He will be driving MY CAR. He does not live in Cabarete and I realize there will be some hotel expense, but 3500 per day using my car seems like too much.

I think the price is a bit high. Your opinion--

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
6000 from Santiago airport to Cabarete and 3500 per day to drive. He will be driving MY CAR.

A bit! And he's driving your car?, from the airport too? You can get a taxi from the airport to Cabarete for RD$4,000. RD$6,000 just to drive your car is ridiculous.

I wouldn't pay someone more RD$1000-1500 a day to just be a driver, taking a few short trips here and there.

Hell, for RD$3,500 a day I'll be your driver. I'd even drive you around in my car for RD$3,500 a day.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
If he was driving his own car, it would be pricy. Find the son of a local business owner that has a comfortable car. He will jump at the chance to drive for 1000 per day plus tip.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I pay 1,000 to be driven to the airport in my car... 3-4 hrs round trip
Just a few hours work but responsible work...
he fills the car before putting it away, etc.

The trick is finding a trustworthy person...... the car , after all.
This man is a neighbor.....friends of all my 'on site' people.

1,000/day is good - he'll expect food too, BTW

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Thanks everyone for the posts. The driver in the past had been reasonable, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 this. He is an excellent, safe driver, super responsible and am bummed that he increased the price so much. I think lately he's been having financial problems.

So... he priced himself out of a job. Can anyone recommend a driver in or near Cabarete who is both safe and responsible?? Hmmm, that could be hard--

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Yes, we were talking about the possibility of using cabs. The thing is, though, this is my wife and my brother's wife. I want them to be as safe as possible. I would rather use one person who is known to drive well than a lot of different people who are not guaranteed to drive safely. Good driver = safer than cab.

My wife was returning from Esperanza on a guagua and was almost raped. The person who prevented this was the guagua driver who saw what was happening and told the creep to stop. No more guaguas.

As for motos, ....I mean no offense, but are you kidding?? No way!! I used a moto once in Cabarete, and never again. The roads in DR are the most dangerous in the world. I will not trust the judgment of a motoconcho.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Oh Harley-- I've got a lot of respect for you for how much you help out dogs in the DR. I see your name from time to time. If I ever go back to DR for longer again I'd like to help dogs. My wife does also. Hope to meet you some day.

When is she coming? I have a driver you can trust 100% and a good friend of mine. Angelo at Speedy Rodriguez. +1 (829) 716-0023 Not sure if he is in your price range but if you want safe and trustworthy he is your man! If not for the whole
Trip maybe parts of it.

Ok fair enough about guagua's and motoconcho's, I worry about my wife and would not want her doing that on her own. It seems safe enough for most but you never know especially with your wife's experience! Yikes!

Look forward to meeting you and I hope your wife has a great trip :)

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Thanks for the contact Harley. If you have to ask, then you can't afford it. But what the heck, how much does he charge??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My 1,000 peso a day man will do it too, I expect
but he has 2 days a week where he has other responsibilities.

He carries a card from the Province - like a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card....
The Governor or some potentate gave it to him.
He's 'connected'.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My 1,000 peso a day man will do it too, I expect
but he has 2 days a week where he has other responsibilities.

He carries a card from the Province - like a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card....
The Governor or some potentate gave it to him.
He's 'connected'.

Does he know where to go in Panty Flojo for the best plato de dia?

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Have been using the same driver for 4 years and he has always been reasonable. My wife and sister-in-law are going to DR for 8 days and his rate is 6000 from Santiago airport to Cabarete and 3500 per day to drive, BUT they won't need to be transported all that much. He will be driving MY CAR. He does not live in Cabarete and I realize there will be some hotel expense, but 3500 per day using my car seems like too much.

I had a taxista take me from Cabarete to La Romana for 8000 including a stop at the beach and one for chicharrones (ewwwwwwwwwww). Had to negotiate pretty hard though.

Lately my regular motoconcho has been jacking the price up on me too. This after nearly a year of a good working relationship with lots of easy cash going his way.
It's like their ego takes over and they think you "need" them or depend on them or something. Or they see you have some money to throw around, i.e. offering to pay hotel, and want to see how much they can get their greedy little hands on. They really can sniff it out when you open up the wallet.
I've never seen anyone screw themselves out of a good thing like a Dominican.
My strategy with my motoconcho has been just calling him less and using someone else part of the time. We'll see if that works.
If you "trust" this dude, maybe counteroffer with less money; he can always say no and perhaps he will (see analysis above regarding screwing oneself over). Or he will accept and you can bask in the triumphant glow of having won (or probably not, since you aren't Dominican and are just looking for a fair price.)
Probably wouldn't hurt to mention that you have just suffered an unforeseen financial crisis like a sick mother, gambling debt called in, big platano buy, etc.

Last edited: