Swimming pool leak

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My pool has developed a leak. I let it go down to it's level to discover that it has gone down to the level of the jets and stayed there for a few days.

Does anyone have any genius methods to fixing it without serious excavation?

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Mine has done the exact same. Is yours right around the level of the vacuum hole? Probably a broken pipe from that hole that is leaking into the ground. A lot of houses here are cracking as well, including my own in parts that have never seen a single crack before. I've been told it is because of the drought and how dry the earth is now which is causing everything to shift, which makes sense. However, unfortunately I don't have any genius secrets for fixing it :/

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Mine has done the exact same. Is yours right around the level of the vacuum hole? Probably a broken pipe from that hole that is leaking into the ground. A lot of houses here are cracking as well, including my own in parts that have never seen a single crack before. I've been told it is because of the drought and how dry the earth is now which is causing everything to shift, which makes sense. However, unfortunately I don't have any genius secrets for fixing it :/

Yes the vacuum hole is at the same level as the jets.

Let's hope there are some geniuses here with options. Don't fancy digging!

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Not a pool expert, but Marine Putty has worked wonders for me. Had a broken shower base and applied it, zero leaks.
Had a drain pipe in kitchen that had a hole, used it for that also. Still holding strong.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Not a pool person, but sounds like a catastrophic Failure of a PVC pipe.. as in totally severed../ cracked completely. otherwise it would not drain out that fast..
.. no way to fix something like that except replacing it, and whatever cement work that entails.. but hey maybe there is.

Have you tried pressurizing the Line ? .. (which will be impossible obviously if its completely cracked)..
Just simply use a shop vac exhaust port , like when they blow out the lines ( I know you dont do that in Warm Climates like we do in the North here for winter) with your hand cupping the pipe fast , you should give you some back pressure, or not at all , and then you know at least that the pipe is completely severed..

If it were a small crack and you can get to it, sure, you could Epoxy it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
is the ground around the pool still level?
If you have a leak, a depression will form in the area of the leak as the earth washes away.

That is where you'll need to dig.

I had it behind my light.... took the light out and cemented over it.......problem solved.

And the light was way below the jet level..... way below.

Digging might be the only solution.... but you need to track the leak, if you can

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
The earthquake near Gaspar Hernandez several months ago has caused leaks in numerous pools in the area. Most result from a broken tee in the line that feeds the injectors. The easiest way to test for this is to fill the pool to the top, shut all valves coming and leaving the pump room, and testing in front of every opening into the pool, using dye. The closer you get to the leak, the faster the dye will be sucked into the opening.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect you can use coffee or any dark liquid

easy way to see where your water is going

Wine ?? no, too valuable............glug, glug

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I had a pool in the UK and it had many leaks :-(

One way of tracing leaks is to get some bungs and block the various holes, fill above the level it's dropping to then removing the bungs, one at a time (a few hours between each) to see when the water level drops.
That should give an idea of which line the leak is in.

Then, unfortunately, it's time to dig.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Blocking the various holes & checking one at a time does not work because the injectors are on a common line as are the skimmers and the vacuum inlets, if you have more than one. With common lines the leak can be anywhere and when opening any one plug, the water will flow to the leak. Also, coffee or wine won’t work as they dissipate too fast. It’s best to use “Pool Leak Dye” as it “stays together” more or less like a cob-web. One more point to consider is the filter valve having a broken gasket. Half the leaks I get called for, it turns out to be the filter.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Are you sure its a leak ??

This year my pool water evaporates ( well i guess....oh,oh ! ) much much faster than other years. Seems normal to me, cos of the high temperatures this year...... but maybe I have a leak......arghhhhh

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the good info in this thread. I am not in the DR but my pools water level kept going down this year. My unemployed nephew ( American tiguere sp?)) was trying to tell me there was a leak in the pipes. Claimed he needed to dig up the cement. When I didn't fall for that he said he found a leak in the liner near the skimmer. Then he said it was a leak in the steps. NOT! It was evaporation and lack of rain that caused the low water level.
I have learned the right answers to give him here.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Normal evaporation is ?” per day. If you’re near the ocean, with a constant breeze across the pool, or if your kids are in and out numerous times during the day, your maximum loss will be ?” or less. Anything more is leak.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Normal evaporation is ?” per day. If you’re near the ocean, with a constant breeze across the pool, or if your kids are in and out numerous times during the day, your maximum loss will be ?” or less. Anything more is leak.

Thanks for all of your good info.
The water level was not really going down too much. I have had the pool for almost 20 years. I am familiar with how things run. My nephew thinks I am stupid enough to believe his stories and give him lots of money to fix what ain't broke.
I did learn more clear definite answers in this thread.
Not sure why pularvik would dislike my post??

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for all of your good info.
The water level was not really going down too much. I have had the pool for almost 20 years. I am familiar with how things run. My nephew thinks I am stupid enough to believe his stories and give him lots of money to fix what ain't broke.
I did learn more clear definite answers in this thread.
Not sure why pularvik would dislike my post??
Oh dear,--------I must have a roving finger or the dog jumped on my computer-----or its ghosts but Pularvik didn't mean to dislike your post! Sorry!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Oh dear,--------I must have a roving finger or the dog jumped on my computer-----or its ghosts but Pularvik didn't mean to dislike your post! Sorry!

No problem. I thought maybe you were thinking that I was telling a fib. :classic: