Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Be careful out there guys and gals.

RD ocupa segundo en VIH-Sida

[computer translated:

Santo Domingo
The director of the National HIV and AIDS (Conavihsida), Victor Terrero, Dominican Republic revealed that ranks second in the Caribbean, just behind Haiti, with most cases of HIV-AIDS

Terrero said that the prevalence rate of HIV-AIDS is now 0.8 population, equivalent to about 80 thousand people with HIV, according to Endesa survey. The highest rates were recorded in the province of La Altagracia with 1.3, with 1.2 Barahona, Santiago 1.2, in the Northwest, Monte Cristi and Dajabon with 1.8, San Cristobal, Prov. Peravia and Greater Santo Domingo 0.4, while in the bateyes, where more Haitian reaches 2.4.

He was interviewed in the Integral Vision Program producing Juan Jose Baez and Luis Torres, the channel 19.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-republica/2015/10/10/391508/rd-ocupa-segundo-en-vih-sida

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ever since Haiti became a Mecca for homosexual tourism from French Canada and France, their HIV/AIDS rates have soared. Heterosexual Haitians (mostly males) driven by poverty regularly serviced homosexual, French speaking tourists and then went home to their families who were then infected.

This has been studied and diagnosed ad nausium.

It spread throughout the DR in large part through two channels: One, was the sex trade of the 80s before HIV/AIDS was fully understood, and the other was theough the large army of Dominican prostitutes that circulates throughout the Caribbean. From the DR to Haiti and Curacao and Aruba and back. Haitians enjoy having sex with the lighter skinned Dominican women and thus contributed to the spread of HIV/AIDS throughtout the Caribbean and the DR.

This has also been studied and documented.

Ignorance at first, together with terrible poverty, got this started. Careless sex and a cavalier attitudes among men helped it spread.

It should never, ever, be ignored (none of this "It won't happen to me, she is such a nice girl" crap...)

HB

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
It should never, ever, be ignored (none of this "It won't happen to me, she is such a nice girl" crap...)

If I remember my history correctly, it was always Robert who in the past would start the reply that there is big medical grants for studying this and that the problem was being hyped for money and it is not really as bad as it may seem......

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Liars, damn liars, statistics and the worst; Dominican statistics. Always act as if the other person in infected. You get to like them then both get tested.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
The way in which aids is spread has been known for 30 years now, but as it is both politically incorrect to speak about it and because the powers that be would rather people be 100% safe than take any risk at all, it is largely hidden from the public. Lecturing people about using condoms (knowing that many will not) instead of telling them the actual risks associated with various sex acts has actually helped to spread the disease.

Aids is a disease of the blood. While it exists in various other bodily fluids these levels are infinitesimal compared to the amount in the blood. For instance there is more HIV in 1 drop of blood then in a gallon of saliva. Thus aids is most easily spread in sex acts which cause bleeding for both partners i.e. anal sex. The odds of transmission of having sex without a condom with an infected person are:

50/50- anal sex
1/1000-vaginal sex
1/1,000,000- oral sex (some researches say there has never been a documented case).

These statistics are rarely publicized due to the paternalistic attitudes of many in the media as well as the scientific community who believe that people won't be afraid enough of the disease if they see that many sex acts are relatively low risk. Also fear that knowledge about how it is spread will contradict the message of it not being a gay disease. Finally, one must remember that even though 1/1000 (vaginal sex) is a low figure; if one were to have unprotected sex each Saturday night with aids infected prostitutes then within 10 years they would likely have aids.

1 in 1,000,000,000 is enough to reason to wear a condom!

May 29, 2006
There are numerous factors in transmission rates, esp if either partner already has an STD or other cause of lesions, the type of sex and in some studies, circumcision, which might cut transmission by half. What is troubling is I believe in the DR, the rates are based in part by infection rates in maternity wards, which would skew results.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
1 in 1,000,000,000 is enough to reason to wear a condom!
If that is your philosophy, you would never cross a Dominican street, make a journey in the DR, go out after dark, smoke anything, or eat or drink 90% of available products here. More likely to be killed by a coconut falling on your head (I have had two near misses within a few years) and a lot less fun.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
If that is your philosophy, you would never cross a Dominican street, make a journey in the DR, go out after dark, smoke anything, or eat or drink 90% of available products here. More likely to be killed by a coconut falling on your head (I have had two near misses within a few years) and a lot less fun.

I have had a ton of fun in my life. Sex, drugs rock and roll and a ton of it. I still have always worn a condom unless in a relationship. Getting married now at 33 so no need for that type of protection. I do not understand your reply? People who wear condoms are no fun?

I have crossed many Dominican streets but I still look both ways before I do!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Never go to battle without your helmet. I suppose if scientists could teach lab rats and monkeys to have anal sex maybe they would come up with a cure for HIV. Lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I wonder what percentage of those infected with the disease are actual Dominicans and how many are Haitians living legally or illegally in the DR? I would imagine that they skew the statistics as well.

recent article about it (july) in el caribe: http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/07/01/mas-tres-mil-haitianos-reciben-tratamiento-contra-vih-sida
and few months before that, el nuevo diario: http://elnuevodiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=415987
from el dinero: http://www.eldinero.com.do/14481/alta-ponderacion-en-atencion-a-haitianos-en-el-sector-salud/

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Mongoose ,,you simply do not know about this subject...if you did you, would know that HIV in Africa is nearly always carried between men and women and not between homosexuals and Africa has the overwhelming number of cases .

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I really think a few people need to look at the oficial HiV pages and not newspapers to understand this virus a bit better..the dominating feature is not nationality but along lines of poverty .

May 5, 2007
At first I thought this was by percentage then realized it was by population No big deal given that the DR has 2nd largest population
behind only Cuba and Haiti

joselowe

May 5, 2015
This study seems fine, but the ranking seems inaccurate. From the research I've done. In the Caribbean these countries have higher hiv rates than DR

1. Haiti
2. Jamaica
3. Trinidad and Tabago
4. Puerto Rico (highest in NA but surprisingly mainly contracted through shared needles)

Most US studies wouldn't have DR in the top 4 at least. But nevertheless I'm glad these studies are explaining the risks of unprotected sex. Caribbean countries have sadly been targeted knowing people take desperate measures sometimes for money.