You can't get there from here..

May 29, 2006
One thing I finally realised on my last trip is how remote you can be from civilization on such a relatively small island. I was in Higuey with very few towns north of it and a mountain range and park separating it from Samana and the north coast. By bus to Cabarete, you go southeast to Punta Cana, then west to SD, then to Santiago, then north and east again to Cabarete. It's almost a spiral.

So my question is, what is the longest distance trip between two points in the DR while taking the shortest route between them? I would prob start on the coast north of Higuey and end up on the Haitian border either in the far south or west of Val Verde. Either that or maybe way out on the Samana Peninsula.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Pepillo Salcedo (border between Monte Cristi and Dajabon) and Punta Cana....no Bavaro or thereabouts

Jimani to Bavaro might run it close

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that peter is more after two cities that are close in a straight line but there is no direct road between the two. i think that western provinces have possibly worst connection with the rest of the country: dajabon, elias pina, independencia, pedernales.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
monte cristi to pedernales. both on the frontier with haiti but the road that runs along the border is in a very bad shape.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
i think that peter is more after two cities that are close in a straight line but there is no direct road between the two. i think that western provinces have possibly worst connection with the rest of the country: dajabon, elias pina, independencia, pedernales.

The main roads to the south west and west have improved dramatically of recent and if those by-passes to Bani and Azua ever get built, the drive will be relatively quick. The roads to the north west I understand are not in such great condition though.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
monte cristi to pedernales. both on the frontier with haiti but the road that runs along the border is in a very bad shape.

Good point if you discount the border road because the Cordillera Central gets in the way.......however with the new Rancho to Piedra Blanca road due to open soon, and the road from Padre La Casas to El Guayabal under construction with rough road onto Constanza, maybe this journey will reduce too soon.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo drives all over DR because of his job and too often he has to go back where he came from because roads are not passable for his car, not safe or in a bad shape. few times he used a whole tank of gas in one day. that's a lot of driving in such a small country.

May 29, 2006
I went from Higuey to Las Terranas and can't imagine how long of a trip it would have been without the expressway from SD. That's relatively new, right? It seems it's easier to get to LT from SD than POP..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a very scenic - and very expensive - road from el catey airport to las terrenas that shortens travel time between POP and LT. but it costs about 500 pesos.

edited to add: las galeras to las terrenas fits your question. very short distance in a straight line but no direct road. gotta go through samana.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If you are using public transport, there is a much shorter route from Higuey to Las Galeras.

Head north to Sabana de la Mar and then take one of the four daily ferries to Santa Barbara de Samana (dep 9.00, 11.00, 15.00, 17.00 @ 200rd) and then it is a short trip to Las Galeras.