The Martian

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Martian is showing in Santo Domingo cinemas. You can see it for RD$250 at Palacio del Cine in Blue Mall (when paying with American Express card). Tickets are normally RD$300. This is the same space thriller that in its second weekend since its opening has people making long lines to see in the US. No lines at Palacio del Cine and a very comfortable cinema. Enjoyable movie for all the family.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Was in my plans to see this week but suspecting it will be a round for a few weeks in Santo Domingo, I decided to take in Black Mass and Sicario at my local cine in Bella Vista this week .....and 100rd on a Tuesday.....so the new plan is to see it this week. (Black Mass..Pacto Criminal posts under Videos)

For HUG, it gets a 8.4 or 9.3 rating out of 10 depending on which review site you use so suggests a good film and Dolores reckons so too.

A lot of decent films are featuring in cinemas here at this time and in coming weeks.

May 29, 2006
I saw it a couple days back. Good popcorn movie, but very little time to do any character development with such an ensemble cast. The other main gripe is they hype the film as being scientifically plausible in 20 some years when it's set, but the opening sequence has flaw regarding the thickness of Martian atmosphere which changes density several times during the movie to make plot points possible. Kind of jumps the shark for the climax in what is possible in space, but the zero G scenes were amazing. I think they must have filmed in a plane doing parabolic flights. Doesn't look like wire work or CGI.

There is a clever callback reference with Sean Bean who I didn't recognise at first without a sword and beard.

It's a lot of book to fit into a couple hours. I hear folks who read the book first enjoyed the movie more. Good to see on a very big screen...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I hear folks who read the book first enjoyed the movie more. Good to see on a very big screen...

I read the book first, haven't seen the movie yet. But the book is unreadable in parts unless you're a super nerd. The author (first novel) goes into extreme detail about making oxygen, hydrogen, engineering, botany, etc. and it goes on forever. You have to skip ahead each time to keep from wanting to just throw it in the trash.

But i look forward to the movie.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Best film of 2015 so far for me.

I read the book first which I thoroughly enjoyed and the film did not disappoint. As for the science there's a You Tube interview of a couple of scientists (one of which actually worked fro JPL) and concluded that the majority of the science was very plausible.
[video=youtube;BP30-73Bd2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP30-73Bd2g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

So Star Wars and James Bond to look forward to..........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just watched The Martian. It was OK. JPL was a customer of mine when I was selling electronics on the west coast. Sold them some gear used in the Mars Rover program.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
The Martian is showing in Santo Domingo cinemas. You can see it for RD$250 at Palacio del Cine in Blue Mall (when paying with American Express card). Tickets are normally RD$300. This is the same space thriller that in its second weekend since its opening has people making long lines to see in the US. No lines at Palacio del Cine and a very comfortable cinema. Enjoyable movie for all the family.

$150 pesos at the cinema in Playa Dorada