bulgarian arrested for tampering with the ATM in cofresi

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Often seems to be Bulgarians. Considering how few there are in Latin America it must be a national speciality.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I did not hear of any incident at our facilities, so I knew it was BS.

After checking with Banco Popular (we have one BP ATM at the Ocean World Terrace), they confirmed that this incident happened at the hotel next door.

At Ocean World Terrace we have security, surveillance, and cashiers within feet of the machine, so I highly doubt they would ever try this at our place.

Good thing that this guy got caught at the hotel before he was able to take the downloaded information home.

Just goes to show how wrong and erroneous reporting in the DR is.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Often seems to be Bulgarians. Considering how few there are in Latin America it must be a national speciality.

They have scammed their way through Europe for this kind of thing, now they need to hunt further afield. Scum!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They (Bulgarians) do this all over the world. Only a matter of time before we start seeing more of these scumbags getting arrested here for the same crime.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How many Bulgarians can we have here? Surely its not like Canadians where there is one on every corner.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We good looking Canadians do not stand on street comers as we get way too may solicitations. What you are seeing is Bulgarians pretending to be Canadians.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I had read on DR1 that we shouldn't use ATMs because you can get ripped off. I didn't understand how that works, but now we go inside the bank for cash every couple weeks.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I had read on DR1 that we shouldn't use ATMs because you can get ripped off. I didn't understand how that works, but now we go inside the bank for cash every couple weeks.
The thieves install hi tech card readers and or devices that record the magnetic data along with your pin you input. Bulgarians have been at the heart of some of the most recent ATM/Bank Network attacks.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The thieves install hi tech card readers and or devices that record the magnetic data along with your pin you input. Bulgarians have been at the heart of some of the most recent ATM/Bank Network attacks.

I know a Bulgarian girl who lives here. She is a very nice person used to work as a T.V. announcer at home. She told me she moved here because she could no longer stand her own people. Poor girl im shure she regets it now.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Long term scam at teller machines. US bank put my money back the next day. I asked the bank manager how its possible when you have a camera and video footage of the criminals it still goes on. Manager told me they gave footage to cops over and over but the cops were not interested in pursuing the thieves.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Wonder why....? :rolleyes::bandit:

Please.

You're some caribbean cop making 30 pesos from nothing. Are you going to start making arrests within an eastern european crime ring because some expat tells you to "do your job?"

Cops in the states - who are paid well enough to vacation in the caribbean - aren't really interested in pursuing those crimes either. I mean, cops are busy with more serious crimes, and besides, who wants to put their safety on the line to recover insured funds stolen in a non-violent crime? Which isn't ideal, and I've been a victim of card theft this year, so I certainly know the frustration.

That said, I'm much more interested in them chasing down criminals who think violence and sexual predation are cool, than with collecting pesos that have long-since been restored by your bank.

So my advice is to relax. La Gatita takes dollars, euros, and CDN as well as pesos....