Favorite Golf Courses near Punta Cana

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I was invited to play in a golf outing the second week of December and will try to raise my game to mediocre beforehand. What are your favorite courses in the area and why?

Texsan

Sep 9, 2013
Punta Cana courses

I was invited to play in a golf outing the second week of December and will try to raise my game to mediocre beforehand. What are your favorite courses in the area and why?

My favorite course for the money is La Canas. Favorite is Punta Espada, next is Dye Fore (Casa de Campo) and next is Teeth of the Dog. I like Cocotal also. I understand Roko Ki is closed but it was spectacular. It has been about three years since I have played any of them (I have been going to the North Coast) and things can change. I have not played the new course in Cap Cana.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Punta Cana area (about 70 km from north to south) has 10 golf courses in operation.

From north to south these are:
Hard Rock Golf Course (near Macao)
Punta Blanca (inland course, probably the best value in golf fees)
Iberostate Bavaro (for those staying in the Iberostar hotels)
Cocotal (for those staying in the Melia hotels)
Catalonia Cabeza de Toro and Catalonia Caribe (in the Cabeza de Toro area)
La Cana (for those staying in the Punta Cana Resort & Club area and the Los Corales, a private membership course in the same area.
Punta Espada (in southernmost Cap Cana).

And of course, with the new Coral Highway you are about an hour's drive from the courses in La Romana, mentioned above -- Dye Fore & Teeth of the Dog in Casa de Campo.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Playa Dorada is one of the worst golf courses in the DR ..maybe you are thinking of Playa Grande which , when in decent condition , is world class.
But the question was in relation to Punta Cana and Bavaro and I have played the lot many many times . There are a few stand out courses . Punta Espada ,Los Corales and Hard Rock are excellent and have all have multiple tees toplay from , depending on your standard . Following close behind are the 27 holes at La Cana , surprisingly the inland 9 is the favourite of many golfers . Then there are quite a few quite good courses that are less expensive, if you are not a member of Fedogolf such as Cocotal and Punta Blanca and The Lakes .
I have my favourite and that is Hard Rock because I do not have to take a useless caddy and the course is not surrounded by homes . It is a very good course from the back tees.
Of course casa de Campo is only one hour away and the three non private courses are all good , Dye Fore the longest, Teeth of the Dog the best known and The Links the most fun for most mid or high handicap golfers.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I played at La Cana they have great course and nice folks.
I heard Hard Rock is best but I haven't gone there yet.
It's a bit off Punta Cana but I also like La Estancia, I always have very relaxing time there.
I would like to to visit Casa de Campo one day but I don't see that happening any time soon.
I suck at golf, too far and expensive...

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Thank you to all. The course for the outing is a tough one and my play level doesn't need a challenge. Hopefully, it is a scramble format. My game is a 16 handicap with low line drives that don't grab the green. I'm looking for a forgiving course with cold beer in the clubhouse.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Kipling, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from you. White tees and quickly take a penalty on out of bounds hits. I wish I could appreciate a course like Teeth of the Dog.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thank you to all. The course for the outing is a tough one and my play level doesn't need a challenge. Hopefully, it is a scramble format. My game is a 16 handicap with low line drives that don't grab the green. I'm looking for a forgiving course with cold beer in the clubhouse.
La Cana would be a good fit. P.B. Dye course that's good for all levels. Several oceanfront holes. Caddies are extra but very helpful and knowledgeable. Clubhouse is oceanfront with the bar on the second floor. Have to admit I'm a bit biased, used to work there several years ago lol

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
My favorite courses are as per the following list.

Cana Bay GC, Hard Rock Hotel
La Cana GC
Barcelo GC
Iberostate GC

All the above provide excellent service, courses are priced very reasonably , and caddies are not needed.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
My favorite courses are as per the following list.

Cana Bay GC, Hard Rock Hotel
La Cana GC
Barcelo GC
Iberostate GC

All the above provide excellent service, courses are priced very reasonably , and caddies are not needed.
Can we assume by your screen name that you are a member of the Black Rum Golf Association? If so, you have probably played some of the best courses.

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Punta Espada is the golf course. Sanctuary is the five night lodging if we didn't stay in our own place.

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
I think the best deal in Punta Cana, if you live there, is at the Iberostate course. You can get an annual membership for $90US and then you pay $45US per round and you get free drinks and sandwiches on the course, plus lunch after(or in the middle) of the round. Very nice course and always very well maintained.
The course at Hard Rock is very good but hard. Punta Blanca is excellent and about $70US if you have a cedula.
Enjoy!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think the best deal in Punta Cana, if you live there, is at the Iberostate course. You can get an annual membership for $90US and then you pay $45US per round and you get free drinks and sandwiches on the course, plus lunch after(or in the middle) of the round. Very nice course and always very well maintained.
The course at Hard Rock is very good but hard. Punta Blanca is excellent and about $70US if you have a cedula.
Enjoy!

Thanks for that information about Iberostate ..did not know that ..it is just an ok course but good value I agree . I always get Punta Blanca for about $45 with my fedo golf card . Did you mean that Hard Rock was difficult or hard ...the greens often are hard and the shots to the green run more than other courses.
I forgot to reply ..yes Roko Ki has been closed but I do not know what is happening about the housing development ..it was a relly rotten course and mosquito ridden ..The project was bought by the Vicini family some years ago .

Texsan

Sep 9, 2013
Roko Ki's greens were very hard when I played it, but it had some of the most awesome ocean views i have seen. This is a great thread with informative interesting posts.

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Hard Rock course is difficult but the greens were in nice shape the last time I played there-Feb. 2015.
La Estancia in La Romana is supposed to open again the end of October, word has it. Also a very nice course with some great holes- afternoon rates were about $40US, if I remember correctly.