A Cleaning Problem

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I just moved into a new apartment and my landlord---in his wisdom (ahem!)---did something....let's be kind and just call it puzzling....when he "renovated" the bathroom.

The floor of the shower is completely flat, so the water doesn't drain well, and in fact, pools at the far end before meandering down the VERY small drain, which instantly clogs with soap/shampoo/condidtioner, etc.

The lady who cleans for me has been in there two weeks in a row on all fours working like an animal to scrub the scum off the shower floor. We've tried Comet powder, an after-shower spray that I concoct of hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, water, DW finisher & detergent that has worked everywhere else, Brillo, etc., and it just won't go away. My Dominican lady wants to haul out the muriatic acid next time, but I'm not a fan. #1, I love her and I don't want her working with it; #2, I think it will take the finish off the tiles and make them even more porous; #3, it will creep me out to think that there are still traces of it there to take the skin off my feet.

Anybody got any ideas?

I'll talk about the ants next.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
try some white vinegar. some folks talk about 50/50 solution with water but why not bring out the cannons? :cheeky:

i have only seen muriatic acid used to clean the pool and i was very impressed but i am not sure how well it will do with your plumbing.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
White vinegar and liquid dishwashing soap, 50/50 ratio. Ladle it on liberally and leave it overnight. It's worked pretty well on my tiles and it's safe and non-chemical.
Then buy a window squeegee and use it to push the water down the drain each time after you shower. Think of it as a brief upper body workout.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I had some stains on tiles near the wall..... for years. Tried loads of stuff.
Bought " first class brand Tile cleaner " at la sirena.... that did the job. But burned the sink when a sobrina thought it was a "cif" type sink cleaner :(

Otherwise acido muriatico is used for the dirty water stains in toilets. The pool kind, or the even stronger industrial kind. No problems so far.
Only used omce every 2 months for a deep cleanse, mind you.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Muriatic acid is HCl / an industrial - non reagent grade of Hydrochloric acid.
I would dilute it some what and use it on a test area first,

Never add water to acid. Always add acid to water. Wear gloves and goggles.

H2SO4 get really upset if add water to container. Heat of disolution!

DS

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Muriatic acid is HCl / an industrial - non reagent grade of Hydrochloric acid.
I would dilute it some what and use it on a test area first,

Never add water to acid. Always add acid to water. Wear gloves and goggles.

H2SO4 get really upset if add water to container. Heat of disolution!

DS

Always be careful with acid.....chem lesson HCl = Hydrocloric acid.... H2SO4 = Sulfuric acid....

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Is that what it is really called? BC I will be in POP this week & can go to La Sirena.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I'll talk about the ants next.

Can someone wake me up when you get to the ants? I've got the little buggers in the kitchen. I read they don't like bay leaves so sprinkled a whole pack on the counter. Turns out they just use them for cover. I gave them a little ant forest. :disappoin

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Isn't the real problem the drain? If you get the water moving, the stains wouldn't occur.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Can someone wake me up when you get to the ants? I've got the little buggers in the kitchen. I read they don't like bay leaves so sprinkled a whole pack on the counter. Turns out they just use them for cover. I gave them a little ant forest. :disappoin

I kill ants with ammonia. Works like a charm, but only to wipe out that line of ants that appears after heavy rain.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I kill ants with ammonia. Works like a charm, but only to wipe out that line of ants that appears after heavy rain.

I don't have lines, they are more random than that and there are not that many (since ALL the food is now in the fridge) but they are sort of always chronically there for the past couple of months… do you think ammonia would work? I have some organic home pesticide but it doesn't work on the ants.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
As some mentioned, Baking soda can be an option. Either make a paste of baking soda and water and scrub it on the tiles and leave it for a while before you clean it with a brush.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Your drain may be clooged. Try a coat hanger to see if it is completely open . The pipes used are pvc. pour some baking soda nd vinegar down it. Use the squege (sp). The acid will clean the tile but cut it 2-3 to one. Rubber gloves or 2 bags from Playero. Good Luck. Welcome to the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Meems, I thought you said the floor was uneven, causing water to collect... not run to the dfrain.

Relay the tile..... easy, fast, cheap..... new tile over top, or pull up the existing.

An easy way is to slope the floor all one way - not from each corner - to the drain.

We use muriatic on coralina to clean dog foot prints..... gloves, masks.... a true PIA.
Cement next time.......

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Isn't the real problem the drain? If you get the water moving, the stains wouldn't occur.

Unfortunately, no. The drain does run sluggishly, and I do blast it with grammar school volcano food (baking soda & vinegar) but the problem is there's no slope to help the water get to it.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Meems, I thought you said the floor was uneven, causing water to collect... not run to the dfrain.

Relay the tile..... easy, fast, cheap..... new tile over top, or pull up the existing.

An easy way is to slope the floor all one way - not from each corner - to the drain.

We use muriatic on coralina to clean dog foot prints..... gloves, masks.... a true PIA.
Cement next time.......

I'm not replacing anything or spending any money I don't have to on this place. The landlord is a very wealthy man, who can pinch a penny till it screams and bleeds. I'm just here until I can find something else. I'm not thrilled about having to pack again, as I am still in the process of unpacking 121 boxes that arrived in my container (contents of a small house in CT; nasty divorce).