Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shipping from London, UK

I'm moving full time to Rio San Juan from London, England in the summer of next year.
    I'd really appreciate any good shipping company (household effects).
    Preferably door to door but I know that may be difficult.
    Thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact someone repositioning their yacht for the season. Mediterranean to Caribbean is quite common at this time. I suggested this to a friend and they moved two rooms of furniture from Nice to St. Bart's for less than 20% of what they had been quoted.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by les1 View Post
    I'm moving full time to Rio San Juan from London, England in the summer of next year.
    I'd really appreciate any good shipping company (household effects).
    Preferably door to door but I know that may be difficult.
    Thanks
    You can google moving companies and probably find a lot of info on shipping from London. Do you own a home or are you renting? You might think about selling some of the furniture and buy it in the DR. It just may not be the right fit for the DR. Are you retiring here? Have you looked into what is needed for the residency process. This starts in you home country gathering the right documents, getting them translated and certified. Good luck.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We are using a company called Whites in the UK. Have used them for UK-UK moves before and they were very good. Offered us a 'door to door' full pack and unpack service for what we felt was a reasonable price.
    Can't comment on how well it actually went as the stuff is in storage while we find a place to live long term.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I always suggest making a connection at the RD end... to facilitate entry, customs, etc.

If you are getting residency, you will get a 'tax free' shipment within the first 6mos of your residency.

Hispaniola Freight on the RD end is one suggestion..... ask White's for their ideas.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When I moved to the DR from the UK I came with just one suitcase and put all my household effects into storage - just in case I couldn't bear it here and wanted to return. Five years later and I have just disposed of all my things in England. It worked out much more cost-effective and easier to buy everything I needed here. It's an eye-opener how many of those treasured items you have been keeping you really don't need at all.

7. Likes 4*4*4, whirleybird, Uzin liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to decide whether to bring furniture or just more treasured items, like books, some cooking equipment, antique mirrors and collectable artifacts etc. Especially things that are hard or impossible to get in the DR.
    I'm leaning towards the latter. I make furniture so I can make high quality things in a European style so that helps.
    I'm going to go from room to room and drawer to drawer and make a list of the things I really really do want to bring. It's been a hard choice because I've been living in the same place for 30 years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

We shipped a small container (half size?) about eight years ago. We used Pickfords, they were brilliant and well worth the money. I would choose to put different things in my container had I known then what I know now e.g. Patio, rattan, type furniture is half the price from Argos than anything you can buy here.

The Pickfords service packed up for us, took everything through customs delivered to the house and unpacked at this end. We took out their insurance which seemed expensive but we had to make a claim (C.Ds went missing, presumably at Customs) there was no hassle at all and a very speedy pay out.

If the stuff is important enough to move go for a quality service rather than the cheapest.

10. Likes 4*4*4 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Pansy, if I may, is half in relation to standard 20 foot cargo dimension or different metric entirely?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I took 1/2 to be 1/2 of a 40ft container----- 20ft

13. Likes 4*4*4 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast