Coming with a DOG from the US to the DR

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am a legal resident of the DR.
We have recently gotten a dog in the US.
We're seeking to know what the latest/current document and vaccine requirements are to come into the DR by commercial air with the dog.

Thanks! ... J-D.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Big threads on this , JD.

Regular schedule of shots, 300-400 pesos on the way in.
Vet letter of good health, as mentioned above.... the vets know the drill.

Not all airlines fly dogs below as luggage, so check..... it that's your situation
Nov 30 is a date I've heard for lifting the heat embargo.

Early flights out of MIA seem to work.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am a legal resident of the DR.
We have recently gotten a dog in the US.
We're seeking to know what the latest/current document and vaccine requirements are to come into the DR by commercial air with the dog.

Thanks! ... J-D.

What type of breed? If it is small enough, as previously said, it can be in the cabin with you. If this is the case get a soft side dog carrier. It will need to be pushed under the seat in front of you. There is not much room there so if you can get extra space seats I would suggest it. Also the airlines will charge between $100-150 usds for the dog. When you leave the DR with your pet you will have to go to a vet and get paperwork in the DR. Be sure to hold onto the form they have given you upon entry at the airport. You need this upon departure from the DR. Also coming to the DR be sure you have heart worm pills and if possible I would get pills which you can now give monthly for fleas and ticks. Unfortunately the DR has more nuissance bugs than probably where you are from in the States. Good luck.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Thanks to all!
We are being given a King Charles puppy from a reputed breeder. So, it will be small for now and not grow very big.

I just have never done it, and yes, I will ask the US vet and breeder to give us all the customary paper work. But then, each country can be different and the DR is well know for asking for stuff that is not really customary with pride and insistence.
And then, they can change requirements at the blink on an eye with not much more logic behind. (I know, I have renewed my DR residency 3 times by now... it's become so ridiculous some lawyers don't want to deal with it anymore).

Thanks! ... J-D.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
US papers need to be less than 10 days old.... I always do it in less than 7.

Should be no surprises... they glom on to the fee - paperwork is a distant second.
But still necessary.........

Really nothing to worry about..... just look for the agri person/desk after the customs hall..... in the luggage area

ejl293

May 29, 2012
From my research, and then my experience, United seemed to do the best job of getting your buddy to the DR. Go to the vet and get the paper work done. There is a time frame for the papers. We flew into POP and I was pleasantly surprised with the professionalism shown throughout the process!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks to all!
We are being given a King Charles puppy from a reputed breeder. So, it will be small for now and not grow very big.

I just have never done it, and yes, I will ask the US vet and breeder to give us all the customary paper work. But then, each country can be different and the DR is well know for asking for stuff that is not really customary with pride and insistence.
And then, they can change requirements at the blink on an eye with not much more logic behind. (I know, I have renewed my DR residency 3 times by now... it's become so ridiculous some lawyers don't want to deal with it anymore).

Thanks! ... J-D.

Easy with a puppy. We bought a soft sided kennel, and put our pup under the seat in front of us. Cost was $125 for the dog [they allow 4 on each flight, in cabin] on American Airlines.