3 suicides every 48 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those who follow the news might have noticed quite a few suicide cases covered in the media, from the architect who shot himself in OISOE to several folks jumping off bridges and buildings. this has brought suicides back to light. according to the statistics for the years 2008-2014 total of 4,554 people in DR committed suicide. it's an average of 568 a year or 3 people every 48 hours.

the tendency is going down in recent years, from 637 deaths in 2011 to 557 in 2014. in the first 9 months of 2015 the police registered 369 deaths. DR is also on a lower end of suicide numbers in latin america, along with peru, panama, venezuela and haiti. the countries with highest numbers are bolivia, salvador, chile, ecuador and argentina.

some psychologists say that the media coverage of suicides has negative effect on many people who may find themselves depressed or in fragile moments. this can be somewhat observed in spike of jumps. jumping off bridges/buildings is not particularly common method of suicide in DR but recently there has been several attempts and few deaths due to this cause registered in DR.

most common method of committing suicide is hanging, followed by ingesting poison and shooting. considerably more men than women kill themselves.

full article here: http://www.listindiario.com/la-republica/2015/10/14/392034/tres-se-suicidan-cada-48-horas-en-el-pais

kdo6kx.jpg

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
This island is overpopulated and if individual people wish to their own action to remedy the situation, then let them do it .

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator..................

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
One paradox, as it may relate to this statistic about the DR, is that the countries most consistently rated the happiest, i.e., Sweden, Denmark, and Norway, also have the highest suicide rates.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
You have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator..................

Actually I think it is jolly nice ..some people obviously do not believe in personal freedoms . I am quite happy when the right time comes to refuse all further medical attention and so kill myself . I want to retain that right . For many years suicide was the honourable thing to do in a variety of circumstances . Why should anyone tell anyone else that they do not have the right to cease living. So now when someone gives a position that you do not agree with, you wish to call in the moderators ..so you wish to abandon free speech as well!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
suicides are a recurring theme of articles here and with a recent high profile cases dominican media follow this subject closely. two days ago an article in hoy talked that the principal cause of suicide in DR is depression. this depression is most often brought by economic reasons (luck of money, debt), passionate reasons (often combined with feminicide) as well as alcoholism, drug abuse and untreated mental disease.

hoy talks about many of those cases being preventable if the victim was able to receive psychological assistance as well as help and support from family and friends. this is not about choosing your time to go once your medical treatment option are exhausted. last year a 10 year old boy killed himself he did not receive christmas gift he asked for. in 2007 a total of 18 minors under 15 years of age killed themselves. in 2012, there were 29 minors who committed suicide.

consistently, most victims of suicides are under 30 years old. these are not old and sick people who exhausted possibilities of medical treatment and decide to take their lives to avoid physical pain. these are young men and women who kill themselves over broken relationship or few hundred dollars of debt.

http://hoy.com.do/depresion-es-la-principal-causa-de-suicidios-en-rd-segun-psiquiatra/
http://www.7dias.com.do/portada/201...amente-republica-dominicana.html#.Vh7ioflViko
http://www.one.gob.do/Estadisticas/146/suicidios

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
those who follow the news might have noticed quite a few suicide cases covered in the media, from the architect who shot himself in OISOE to several folks jumping off bridges and buildings. this has brought suicides back to light. according to the statistics for the years 2008-2014 total of 4,554 people in DR committed suicide. it's an average of 568 a year or 3 people every 48 hours.

the tendency is going down in recent years, from 637 deaths in 2011 to 557 in 2014. in the first 9 months of 2015 the police registered 369 deaths. DR is also on a lower end of suicide numbers in latin america, along with peru, panama, venezuela and haiti. the countries with highest numbers are bolivia, salvador, chile, ecuador and argentina.

some psychologists say that the media coverage of suicides has negative effect on many people who may find themselves depressed or in fragile moments. this can be somewhat observed in spike of jumps. jumping off bridges/buildings is not particularly common method of suicide in DR but recently there has been several attempts and few deaths due to this cause registered in DR.

most common method of committing suicide is hanging, followed by ingesting poison and shooting. considerably more men than women kill themselves.

full article here: http://www.listindiario.com/la-republica/2015/10/14/392034/tres-se-suicidan-cada-48-horas-en-el-pais

kdo6kx.jpg

Media coverage does cause an increase in suicides. Several years ago I was in the passenger seat of a friends rental car while we drove slowly over the Hoover Dam outside Las Vegas. A woman dressed in a black evening gown was standing on the side of the road. Our eyes met and it was like I was staring into a void. Within two seconds I saw her jump over. Disturbed by the incident (not that I could have done anything to prevent it) I searched the papers in the following days to learn why but did not see any stories. A week later I called the local police in Lake Mead and was told that they have several jumpers each month off the dam and surrounding area butdo not publish the stories in fear the suicide rate would climb higher.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
About 10 days ago someone jumped from the fourth floor in Agora (inside the mall), but he managed to jump in such way that he fell on the roof of a coffee counter (black coffee) on the second floor, so actually only falling one floor down and stayed alive. I was looking at the spot to see how he jumped to fall on that roof and I wonder what he was thinking.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One paradox, as it may relate to this statistic about the DR, is that the countries most consistently rated the happiest, i.e., Sweden, Denmark, and Norway, also have the highest suicide rates.

another is that the countries that are most likely to have suicide bombers have the lowest suicide rates.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
oh really !! so says a gringo with an MBA and without hardly a care in the world ...compared to a young child half starving for all its life who now has been told his life will,of a sudden, change . The reason that in this country there are suicides is because some people are sick and tired of living . God give them peace .

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
This island is overpopulated and if individual people wish to their own action to remedy the situation, then let them do it .

Because large portions of the population live in the larger cities doesn't mean that the country is overpopulated. Have you been around the country? There are HUGE tracks of undeveloped land. People migrate to the big cities in hopes of finding a job to support themselves and their families but there is plenty of land available.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
People do not commit suicide because of poverty, they do so because they lack perspective. Money has little to do with any of it. Just look at the suicide rates in the first world if you doubt me. Faith, strong family structures etc. help to prevent many suicides. Understanding of meaning and purpose in life help others. All these are strong pillars which keep one strong when the winds of misfortune blow. And, are part of why the rate here is lower than in many other countries who have far more wealth.

i can see where you are coming from. i would not consider Jamaicans to be better off materially than Dominicans, but Jamaica ranks 4 from the bottom in suicide rate. there are deeper sociological dynamics at work here.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Watched a good friend accidently kill himself in the front seat of his girlfriend's car when I was just 15 years old. Had a few friends commit suicide days after Katrina. All from loving families with lots of life left to live.
Life is short. Enjoy it while it last.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Had it ever occurred to you, my learned MBA , that in Haiti , no one even worries whether a death is caused by suicide or by natural causes when the death is recorded .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Had it ever occurred to you, my learned MBA , that in Haiti , no one even worries whether a death is caused by suicide or by natural causes when the death is recorded .

i take what you have said to suggest that you have it on good authority that suicide stats are not kept in Haiti, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.