What are the consequences?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What legal consequences does a person or persons risk when they hire a lawyer to bring lawsuit against another party? The lawyer says the person(s) have a good suit. Yet, they lose the suit.

Regards,

PJT

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You could be forced to pay the legal fees of the other party, even though those are fixed by law and not the actual costs, however, this is a grey area (lots of those in this country) where it usually ends up somewhere inbetween.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
You may open the possibility of a countersuit. Litigation should always be your last resort. The process is protracted and doesn't bring out the best in people.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
What legal consequences does a person or persons risk when they hire a lawyer to bring lawsuit against another party? The lawyer says the person(s) have a good suit. Yet, they lose the suit.

Regards,

PJT

Probably just a waste of time-This is only my opinion from experience, but I guess it depends on the amount of damage (both personal and financial) that was done.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
every lawyer ...thinks you have a good case....then bills you out the ass
I once said to a lawyer of mine...."I was surprised I never got a xmas card from you ...but I was greatfull...I could not afford it
he most likely would have charged me $200 U.S. just to send the thing
lawyers are a bunch of thieving scoundrels and a lawyer should only be used as a last resort

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In the US lawyers are terrible. In the DR they are much worse. Justice in the DR is given to the drunk motoconcho who drives into the rear of your gringo driven car stopped at a light.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Having been jumping through legal hoops for several years in DR I can tell you it can be all against you on the grounds you are foreign. Some things I experienced from magistrates, openly speaking of their dislike towards foreigners in DR you would not believe. To overcome this (as I did eventually) can be a long hard journey, and can be costly. If there is any chance that you would lose and have a way of avoiding it then I'd not even go there. Winning is expensive enough, to lose could be a financial disaster.
Inch and mile spring to mind.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Regards,

PJT

Our western way of thinking, especially when it comes to a gringo being correct, is not appreciated down here. I?d avoid it because you will probably end up getting scr*wed in the end.