Fedex / Amazon / Internet

GringoRuibio

Oct 14, 2015
1) I'm addicted to t? de jamaica (made from hibiscus flowers). It's a common drink in Nicaragua / Central America, but I can't seem to find it here. Does anybody know where to buy? I'm eyeing up the neighbors shrubbery and thinking of a quick raid to pick up dried hibiscus flowers). I've already corrupted several Dominicans with the drink, so it's already catching on....

2) I need to ship the occasional thing here when I can't locate it (see above). Does anybody know an office in Puerto Plata? I think I spotted a place in Sos?a, but I'm in Puerto Plata. Any ideas? I'll check the place in Sos?a on future trip.

3) I'm struggling with a shared 1Mbit connection which is shaky even on good days. What's available? What's the scoop?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Super Pola/La Sirena sells large bags of Flor de Jamaica/Hibiscus - Badia brand - but here in B?varo they sell out very quickly and take several weeks to restock.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sign up for any of a courier company like EPS, BM cargo or whatever. they will give you miami address for shipping. from there the items are forwarded to DR and you can either pick them up from a local office or have it sent home (depending on a company). you pay per pound of shipping weight. items must be under 200 bucks or you will face custom charges and delays.
it's very simple.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
go past claro, coming from scotia bank on feb 27 and take your first right. on your left will be the EPS office to set up your free account for receiving packages. figure 5 dollars per pound when you go to pick it up. good luck

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Super Pola/La Sirena sells large bags of Flor de Jamaica/Hibiscus - Badia brand - but here in B?varo they sell out very quickly and take several weeks to restock.

the Jamaican name for it is sorrel, and it is sold by Badia in a pretty decent sized bag. the only thing is that you can never find it. La Sirena will have it for a week, then it is gone. i always keep a spare bag at home. and, no..you can?t have it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
go past claro, coming from scotia bank on feb 27 and take your first right. on your left will be the EPS office to set up your free account for receiving packages. figure 5 dollars per pound when you go to pick it up. good luck

the nice thing with EPS is that you can just look for the item on the computer, and they will order it for you. you just pay the peso equivalent, plus their charges. secondly, the first 5 pounds are free, as an introductory offer.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
the Jamaican name for it is sorrel, and it is sold by Badia in a pretty decent sized bag. the only thing is that you can never find it. La Sirena will have it for a week, then it is gone. i always keep a spare bag at home. and, no..you can?t have it.

As soon as it reappears I buy 3 or 4 packets, so I'm part of the problem.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

thanks! I stopped there today. I even have two packages coming my way now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I use Aeropost.com....

Never heard them mentioned here, but my experience has been good.

We are a bit 'limited' in Cabrera.... only game in town, really.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
T? de Jamaica (again)

So, what part of the store should I look in? I check the juices, coffee/tea, and now the spice aisle. I ask, but they always look at me like I have a big ugly hair growing out between my eyebrows.

In La Sirena, I found big bags of Badia stuff on the bottom shelf of the spices. (Dried Chilis, yum). but, no evidence that Te de Jamaica ever existed or ever will.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When it's available, the B?varo Pola used to stock it above the spices, hanging on hooks with the bags of Badia's dried chillies. Last time it was on a special display near the drinks section. It's labelled Flor de Jamaica, not hibiscus.

Sorrelllg.jpg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When it's available, the B?varo Pola used to stock it above the spices, hanging on hooks with the bags of Badia's dried chillies. Last time it was on a special display near the drinks section. It's labelled Flor de Jamaica, not hibiscus.

View attachment 2060

absolutely right, Chiri. the thing is, it is seasonal. it is the national Christmas drink of Jamaica, so what you get in July is the dried stuff, whch runs out quickly in the stores. it is not labelled hibiscus because it is not hibiscus.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in la sirena in POP it is displayed exactly where chiri said: on a rack above all the spices.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
hm, I have to go again today. I look... I need to fly back to the USA for a few weeks, so I'll bring a supply back. Girlfriend is now addicted so she said bring 10#. Lol.