CNN: 20 Most Beautiful DR Places

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Very nice posting ,thank you ..so many beautiful places that are not on the list and they are mainly inland . Small villages , country roads , mountain ranges and so on..I think the single one thing I like in the Dominican Republic is the sun .

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Glad that CNN haven't encountered the many other really beautiful places in DR yet, so we can still enjoy them without excessive tourism.

The Playa Moron photograph looks suspiciously like the western half of Playa Rincon uploaded from Google images.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Northeast:
Playa Moron beach, Samana (not yet developed, but not easy access)
Playa Rincon beach (to be enjoyed by all before it is developed)
Salto el Limon waterfall (a protected area)
Los Haitises national park (a protected area)

North central:
Puerto Plata skylift to the Isabel de Torres botanical gardens.
Damajagua Falls, a real Disney World Splash Mountain adventure.
La Isabela historic first settlement

Northwest:
El Morro beach, Montecristi (a protected area)

Santo Domingo:
Catedral de Santo Domingo (first in the Americas)
Fortaleza Ozama (on Las Damas Street)
Presidential Palace (who would have known it would be chosen in the top 20 places!)

La Romana:
Altos de Chavon, cultural center (while relatively modern, it has the patina of ages already and is always beautiful)
Las Maravillas cave (magestic, the work of a cinematographer)
Playa Bayahibe beach

La Altagracia (Punta Cana)
Basilica La Altagracia church ( think it is beautiful, and full of details, but not sure it is one of the 20 most beautiful…)
Juanillo Beach, Punta Cana (lovely, but off access unless you are staying in Cap Cana or buy an excursion)
Punta Cana Beach

El Monumento, Santiago historic monument + entertainment area (fun to go to)

Dunas, Bani in the southwest (it is spectacular, but go very early in the morning because the heat is at around 40C)

Baseball, Carnival

Would seem like the availability of good photos helped determine the spots, but truly is a mixed selection showing interesting areas.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I think they also confuse Salta de Socoa with Parque Los Haitises. It's a good 30km south of the park just off to the side of the Samana highway

Parque los Haitises is something very special and should be right at the top of any list but a photograph showing Bahia de San Lorenzo or the mangroves or caves might have been more appropriate.

Sep 4, 2012
Not to mention the sweltering heat. I was trying to avoid being ripped off by the guys offering to take you up there on horseback.
But you decided instead that walking in horse manure was a better deal?

But Dominicans are dumb and stupid.....

Anyways, the place is gorgeous.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are in good (not necessarily great) physical shape, recommend going early (before 8am) to start the WALK up sans horses. The views, as they start to appear of the cascade, will be your award. The grand prize is a dip into the waterfall to let the gushing waters inject you with new energy. If you go early, you will beat the crowds of tourists that usually start the climb after 9am.

Do not go if it has been raining, as the trails will be muddy.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
But you decided instead that walking in horse manure was a better deal?

But Dominicans are dumb and stupid.....

Anyways, the place is gorgeous.

I was not aware of the conditions of the trail when I attempted the climb , the whole thing is a scam until you get to the falls

Aug 6, 2006
Las Terrenas has the best beach I have ever visited.

Rio San Juan is the best place to swim, as there is a freshwater swimming hole, called Gri Gri nearby.

San Rafael and Los Patos are nice, but these beaches are pebbles, not sand, and the ocean is pretty rough. The best place to get in the water is the nearby river.