Xoom & Caribe Express

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I've been using Xoom for two years now. I do monthly transfers, and pick up my money at Caribe Express. I can either send it to myself, or my wife. Never had a problem with it.

Until last month. I did what I always do, did the transfer online and headed to Caribe Express. Only they told me they couldn't find the transfer. I always get an email from Xoom saying "Your money is ready for pickup", and I had. Never had this problem before.

I waited an hour, went back, and still no record of my funds.

So, I called Xoom, cancelled the transaction, and resent it to my wife. She was able to go pick up the money.

This month, I did the transfer to her, she went to pick it up and had the same problem I had the previous month.

I email Xoom, and get a response from them saying that Caribe Express wants more information on me before they will process the transfer. They wanted a copy of my passport, a copy of my pay stub, and my bank account information including my last 30 days of transactions.

I was unwilling to do this, I don't want Caribe Express having this information. So, I just canceled it.

I assume this is due to the new banking rules and sanctions the US is putting on foreign banks and people living abroad. I can't escape the freedom of my mother country, even though I don't live or work there!

Anyone else had this problem? Did you give them the info?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I'm surprised nobody gave any answers. I think the info is usually required by the sender company, like Xoom or Western Union - not the Caribe Express. Also if it exceeds certain amount per month (or it goes on for a long time).

Perhaps you should confirm that, I wouldn't be happy giving that info to Caribe Express, but Xoom or WS are large companies with a lot of customers, so a bit better I guess... !

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Be careful!

I'm surprised nobody gave any answers. I think the info is usually required by the sender company, like Xoom or Western Union - not the Caribe Express. Also if it exceeds certain amount per month (or it goes on for a long time).

Perhaps you should confirm that, I wouldn't be happy giving that info to Caribe Express, but Xoom or WS are large companies with a lot of customers, so a bit better I guess... !

The most I was EVER asked to present for funds pick up at Caribe Express was either cedula or passport, that's it! Other exchange houses had me fill out a form when I picked up a large sum last Christmas explaining the large transfer, which by the way, was generated by myself and withdrawn from my US checking.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think it's Caribe Express that is asking for this, they are just payout agent. Most likely your transaction was held up by Xoom itself.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I don't think it's Caribe Express that is asking for this, they are just payout agent. Most likely your transaction was held up by Xoom itself.

Nope. Xoom said in the email that it was Caribe Express asking the information. And, they attached a form they wanted me to fill out, the form was from Caribe Express with their logo on it.

Feb 7, 2007
If that is the case, select a different payout agent. I think Xoom works with multiple payout agents in the DR.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
If that is the case, select a different payout agent. I think Xoom works with multiple payout agents in the DR.

Yea, that is what I will do in the meantime. I'm finally going to open a bank account here, and do wire transfers. It'll save me some money. Hoping for the best!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yea, that is what I will do in the meantime. I'm finally going to open a bank account here, and do wire transfers. It'll save me some money. Hoping for the best!

Do a bit of research on the banks, e.g it seems BHD/Leon does not have direct access to international banking, you need to wire to an intermediary bank and then to BHD/Leon. This will be a headache to do online (I still have not found a way - I heard someone has done it by physically going into a bank in US...)

On the other hand I read people wire directly to Banco Popular from abroad, using standrad wire transfer procedure. Not sure about other banks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do a bit of research on the banks, e.g it seems BHD/Leon does not have direct access to international banking, you need to wire to an intermediary bank and then to BHD/Leon. This will be a headache to do online (I still have not found a way - I heard someone has done it by physically going into a bank in US...)

On the other hand I read people wire directly to Banco Popular from abroad, using standrad wire transfer procedure. Not sure about other banks.

Not exactly true, I wire directly from Royal Bank in Canada to BHD leon. Usually have my money in my account within two days. I'm limited to $2500 a day, but that's ok.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Not exactly true, I wire directly from Royal Bank in Canada to BHD leon. Usually have my money in my account within two days. I'm limited to $2500 a day, but that's ok.

I have been trying to do this online for ages (send money from myself to myself, while I'm here), do you do it online or physically go to the Royal Bank, if online what codes do you use !?

Online forms only have space for bank name/address, bank SWIFT/BIC/IBAN number, and your name and account number.

For transfers BHD/leon has always given me the details of an intermediary bank in US or Europe. And asked to transfer the money to that bank and into their account number in that bank, then asked to put

"For the beficiary of: ........ my BHD/Leon account details here ........."

As an extra information, this is not possible in the usual online forms used for bank transfers.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Ask to the bank how much they charge when receiving a transfer wire direct to your account, If Im not wrong BHD-Leon discount arround 10.00 to 20.00 dollars more or less after the money is in the account.