Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Xoom & Caribe Express

    I've been using Xoom for two years now. I do monthly transfers, and pick up my money at Caribe Express. I can either send it to myself, or my wife. Never had a problem with it.

    Until last month. I did what I always do, did the transfer online and headed to Caribe Express. Only they told me they couldn't find the transfer. I always get an email from Xoom saying "Your money is ready for pickup", and I had. Never had this problem before.

    I waited an hour, went back, and still no record of my funds.

    So, I called Xoom, cancelled the transaction, and resent it to my wife. She was able to go pick up the money.

    This month, I did the transfer to her, she went to pick it up and had the same problem I had the previous month.

    I email Xoom, and get a response from them saying that Caribe Express wants more information on me before they will process the transfer. They wanted a copy of my passport, a copy of my pay stub, and my bank account information including my last 30 days of transactions.

    I was unwilling to do this, I don't want Caribe Express having this information. So, I just canceled it.

    I assume this is due to the new banking rules and sanctions the US is putting on foreign banks and people living abroad. I can't escape the freedom of my mother country, even though I don't live or work there!

    Anyone else had this problem? Did you give them the info?

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm surprised nobody gave any answers. I think the info is usually required by the sender company, like Xoom or Western Union - not the Caribe Express. Also if it exceeds certain amount per month (or it goes on for a long time).

    Perhaps you should confirm that, I wouldn't be happy giving that info to Caribe Express, but Xoom or WS are large companies with a lot of customers, so a bit better I guess... !

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Be careful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    I'm surprised nobody gave any answers. I think the info is usually required by the sender company, like Xoom or Western Union - not the Caribe Express. Also if it exceeds certain amount per month (or it goes on for a long time).

    Perhaps you should confirm that, I wouldn't be happy giving that info to Caribe Express, but Xoom or WS are large companies with a lot of customers, so a bit better I guess... !
    The most I was EVER asked to present for funds pick up at Caribe Express was either cedula or passport, that's it! Other exchange houses had me fill out a form when I picked up a large sum last Christmas explaining the large transfer, which by the way, was generated by myself and withdrawn from my US checking.

  4. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think it's Caribe Express that is asking for this, they are just payout agent. Most likely your transaction was held up by Xoom itself.

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    586
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just wondering, but is there any significant difference between Xoom and Western Union? Why use Xoom instead of WU?

  6. #6
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leromero View Post
    Just wondering, but is there any significant difference between Xoom and Western Union? Why use Xoom instead of WU?
    Cost.

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    I don't think it's Caribe Express that is asking for this, they are just payout agent. Most likely your transaction was held up by Xoom itself.
    Nope. Xoom said in the email that it was Caribe Express asking the information. And, they attached a form they wanted me to fill out, the form was from Caribe Express with their logo on it.

  8. Likes Uzin liked this post
  9. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If that is the case, select a different payout agent. I think Xoom works with multiple payout agents in the DR.

  10. Likes Uzin liked this post
  11. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    If that is the case, select a different payout agent. I think Xoom works with multiple payout agents in the DR.
    Yea, that is what I will do in the meantime. I'm finally going to open a bank account here, and do wire transfers. It'll save me some money. Hoping for the best!

  12. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drSix View Post
    Yea, that is what I will do in the meantime. I'm finally going to open a bank account here, and do wire transfers. It'll save me some money. Hoping for the best!
    Do a bit of research on the banks, e.g it seems BHD/Leon does not have direct access to international banking, you need to wire to an intermediary bank and then to BHD/Leon. This will be a headache to do online (I still have not found a way - I heard someone has done it by physically going into a bank in US...)

    On the other hand I read people wire directly to Banco Popular from abroad, using standrad wire transfer procedure. Not sure about other banks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •