Dominican Winter Baseball Starts Tonight

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Batter up! Winter baseball starts tonight

The Dominican Winter Baseball League begins its schedule at the Estadio Quisqueya this evening, Thursday 15 October 2015 when two of the nation's oldest teams n the Tigres Del Licey and the Leones Del Escogido - face off. Jordan Norberto has been chosen by manager Luis Rojas to open the first game of the winter baseball season in the Dominican Republic when the Leones host the Tigres. Manager Luis Rojas, a lifelong member of Escogido, announced his opening-day pitcher during a meeting with a small group of sports reporters at a Santo Domingo restaurant yesterday, Wednesday 14 October 2015. Rojas singled out several of the up-and-coming players who are expected to see action this season. General manager Moises Alou was not present because he was out of the country, but his assistant Jose Gomez said that because of the large size of the Estadio Quisqueya they have chosen many of their reinforcements based on their on-base percentage rather than on their power numbers. Tomorrow evening, Friday 16 October 2015 the Aguilas Cibaenas will meet the Gigantes Del Cibao, last year's champions, and the Estrellas Orientales will play the Toros Del Este.

See the games schedule: http://www.lidom.com/home/index.php/calendario

Source: DR1 News

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
We love the Dominican Winter Baseball!!! Lots of fun, lots of fascinating people on and off the field!! Every inning has a dance contest, fun games, meringue and the world's best baseball players actually playing the game itself. Have fun!!

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Went to the opening game Thursday night. Since I'm a STL Cardinals fan I cheered for the Leones Del Escogido.

It was a fun experience. The pre game entertainment was great and the fans really get into. Love seeing and going to places that's affordable for a entire family. Beers 75 pesos, 4 chicken fingers with fries 200 pesos, my ticket was 250 pesos section C2. You can sit in the bleachers for 50 pesos I think. They were going crazy in that section.

Last edited by a moderator:

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Went to the opening game Thursday night. Since I'm a STL Cardinals fan I cheered for the Leones Del Escogido.

It was a fun experience. The pre game entertainment was great and the fans really get into. Love seeing and going to places that's affordable for a entire family. Beers 75 pesos, 4 chicken fingers with fries 200 pesos, my ticket was 250 pesos section C2. You can sit in the bleachers for 50 pesos I think. They were going crazy in that section.

Here are some pics from the night:

Opening_zpsuladt3ze.jpg

IMG_0209_zpsczhtexni.jpg

IMG_0147_zpsdf6its3j.jpg

IMG_0133_zpsylos34ln.jpg

IMG_0125_zpsn79tn6se.jpg

IMG_0092_zpslp3lgpz9.jpg

IMG_0054_zpsrk6apfe6.jpg

IMG_0051_zpsia3lvzvh.jpg

IMG_0042_zps3bfbtflx.jpg

IMG_0031_zpsokva7ptr.jpg

IMG_0012_zps5e2bapam.jpg

IMG_0236_zpshkffsu62.jpg

IMG_0219_zpsdv80haut.jpg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
A whole different game than USA baseball. I doubt if I would go to a game in the USA if the ticket was free. La rep dom baseball games are a blast.

Opening night is fantastic. After that most games are played to a half empty house except for Licey vs Aguilas.

Did you get the tickets in advance or at the box office or scalpers?

What camera were you using? You always take some nice pics.

Last edited:

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
A whole different game than USA baseball. I doubt if I would go to a game in the USA if the ticket was free. La rep dom baseball games are a blast.

Opening night is fantastic. After that most games are played to a half empty house except for Licey vs Aguilas.

Got them in advance, it was a packed house. Never been to a game in the US and get free shoots of booze from pretty ladies. LOL. I had a blast!!!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Got them in advance, it was a packed house. Never been to a game in the US and get free shoots of booze from pretty ladies. LOL. I had a blast!!!!

I know you had a good time. You don't need to like baseball to enjoy a day at the stadium in la rep dom. Main thing try to go to the major games that is when you will have the most fun. About five years ago I was at the Licey game when they won the championship. I never saw nothing like it in my life and probably never will see anything like it again. Talk about laughing and having fun................. The memories.......

I edited previous post to ask about your camera. They some good shots.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Got them in advance,.................

From where? I usually go to the stadium the morning of game day but I hear you can get them from La Nacional or TicketExpress or Uepa Tickets.

Shucks, I wish I was in town cause I sure would have tagged along with you.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
From where? I usually go to the stadium the morning of game day but I hear you can get them from La Nacional or TicketExpress or Uepa Tickets.

Shucks, I wish I was in town cause I sure would have tagged along with you.

A buddy bought a few of them, do don't know where. You could have tagged along because we had an extra ticket.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015

We buy from scalpers as we enter. The best seats are not available in advanced sales or box office. If you're familiar with seating configuration, you'll be fine with scalpers. And by best seats, of course I'm referring to the heart of the guys with drums and trumpets!!! We struck out, finish your Cuba Libre!! We hit the ball, finish your Cuba Libre!!

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I know you had a good time. You don't need to like baseball to enjoy a day at the stadium in la rep dom. Main thing try to go to the major games that is when you will have the most fun. About five years ago I was at the Licey game when they won the championship. I never saw nothing like it in my life and probably never will see anything like it again. Talk about laughing and having fun................. The memories.......

I edited previous post to ask about your camera. They some good shots.

I used my Canon Sx50. The zoom on that thing is crazy!!! I was far away but you can see the close up on some of my pics. Only issue, is you really need a tripod when you use that zoom.

M845dy

Nov 4, 2015
Last year I bought tickets in advance at Jumbo in Las Colinas in Santiago. 800 pesos for right behind home plate, you have your own waitress. It was a great time!