Hotels Near NEW US Embassy

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Anyone recommend hotels near the new US embassy? I'd rather not leave Santiago at 3AM again just to get into Santo Domingo on time. Traffic there is terrible in the mornings.

RD$3,000 is my budget for one night's stay, even that is a bit more than I'd like to spend though.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Will you be driving? If so why not come early the day before. Spend some time in la zona, sleep in gazcue and leave an hour before your appointment to go to the Embassy. No, make that an hour and a half.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
The closest hotel I've seen in south of the EMB, about a 15 min walk, I believe its called Micro hotel suites and condo located on Av republica de columbia 10. I don't know the prices, but tripadvisors has some reviews on it.

My 2 cents......

Sep 4, 2012
Stay away from av Colombia, get a good hotel in the city and take a cab from it to the embassy and back to the hotel.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I will have a vehicle so getting around isn't a problem.

I guess I could stay at a hotel anywhere in the city as long as the commute isn't too far from the embassy. My wife found http://royalpalacehotel.com.do/ for a good price.

Anyone stayed there before?

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
We've stayed at the Renaissance, which is probably less than a mile from embassy. It was nice enough, very friendly staff, but we didn't eat there. I don't remember what we spent, so it must have been reasonable. You can walk to some terrific restaurants.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Stay at the Holiday Inn. The drive to the embassy is straight forward (even if you join a tap?n or two). Drive north on Lincoln ave and keep going until you reach the rotonda by the entrance to the botanical gardens. Turn right and keep going forward until the massive embassy appears on the right.

There might be an issue with parking availability.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
We've stayed at the Renaissance, which is probably less than a mile from embassy. It was nice enough, very friendly staff, but we didn't eat there. I don't remember what we spent, so it must have been reasonable. You can walk to some terrific restaurants.

You're thinking of the old embassy. The new one is much farther away now.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You need to plan 1-1/2 hour in traffic if you stay at the Royal Palace. I would think there are many hotels in your price range. Santo Domingo is mostly hotel room only. Your preference would be to stay north of 27 de Febrero to avoid some of the traffic.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks for the tips.

We'll figure out what is best for price/commute based on the recommendations here.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Nals hit the nail on the head. Worth the extra few dollars, and it's a piece of cake to get to the embassy.

And I'll also repeat, leave early, get there early.

At RD$6,000/night I don't think that's an option for me. Twice what I want to pay but with the traffic in SD I really need to weigh my options here...