Cattle Farm, Jamao Rio Yasica

eddieo

Jan 3, 2009
1000 acers cattle farm around Jamao Rio Yassica a good idea?

I have lived in the Dominican Republic for 8 years with my wife, not white but not Dominican either. POP province. I regularly read the forums, but do not post. We are young, financially set, no need to work. I have worked all through Central America and Mexico for years, we speak Spanish. No, nothing bad happened to us, no bad experiences that really bothered us to date. We don't look for problems and avoid them, we don't do anything that would attract attention. We generally get along with Dominicans. I have encountered 3 types of expats, the fantasist, who believes there are no problems, all is good. The apologist, they find a reason for all the negative they encounter and say it's not so bad. Finally the realist, that would be where I would be as I do see the DR for what it is, warts and all. That being said, this an incredibly beautiful island, and we do enjoy it. The reason for this post is to ask if it is a good idea to run a ranch of this size. Yes I would like it to turn a profit, but I do not need that to survive. I just want something to do. My biggest concern is security. So what do you all think?

eddieo

Jan 3, 2009
PS, I would have started a new thread but I could not figure out how.....

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
1000 acers cattle farm around Jamao Rio Yassica a good idea?

I have lived in the Dominican Republic for 8 years with my wife, not white but not Dominican either. POP province. I regularly read the forums, but do not post. We are young, financially set, no need to work. I have worked all through Central America and Mexico for years, we speak Spanish. No, nothing bad happened to us, no bad experiences that really bothered us to date. We don't look for problems and avoid them, we don't do anything that would attract attention. We generally get along with Dominicans. I have encountered 3 types of expats, the fantasist, who believes there are no problems, all is good. The apologist, they find a reason for all the negative they encounter and say it's not so bad. Finally the realist, that would be where I would be as I do see the DR for what it is, warts and all. That being said, this an incredibly beautiful island, and we do enjoy it. The reason for this post is to ask if it is a good idea to run a ranch of this size. Yes I would like it to turn a profit, but I do not need that to survive. I just want something to do. My biggest concern is security. So what do you all think?
I think you need to do a lot of research about the cattle industry in the DR. The viability, the market, the diseases, types of foliage's best for cattle...etc. There are several DR1 members in the cattle business so hopefully you'll hear from them. What is your work experience? As far as your colour, I'm not sure your point. There are plenty of white Dominicans.

eddieo

Jan 3, 2009
I will have Dominicans/Haitians who have worked with cattle their whole lives. A good local vet of course. I included the reference to my wife in this way as many will want to know if she is Dominican.

eddieo

Jan 3, 2009
I will have Dominicans/Haitians who have worked with cattle their whole lives. A good local vet of course.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
AE is ma'am ;)

you in POP area? there is a big feria ganadera going on in el cupey, started today, will last until monday. go there, see animals, talk to local folks, buy local produce. farming can be a good business but i can be a bottomless pit of despair too, especially now, in the time of drought. my FIL has few farms, mainly milk cows so we all went there to celebrate today. it was lots of fun, really. and plenty of nice, young meat walking around, well worth it just for eye candy.

eddieo

Jan 3, 2009
AE is ma'am ;)

you in POP area? there is a big feria ganadera going on in el cupey, started today, will last until monday. go there, see animals, talk to local folks, buy local produce. farming can be a good business but i can be a bottomless pit of despair too, especially now, in the time of drought. my FIL has few farms, mainly milk cows so we all went there to celebrate today. it was lots of fun, really. and plenty of nice, young meat walking around, well worth it just for eye candy.

I am in the POP area. I will check it out thanks and the candy is nice. Right about the water. I was gonna buy back in El Choco but no water, so I will buy along the Rio Blanca or Yassica to make sure my cows have water. I want about 150 milkers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cabrera has a farm.... their cows win annual milk producing prize in SD.

You'll need to buy animals..... get familiar with the players., as a start.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
A friend of mine has a farm of 1100 tareas just up the road from Jamoa, with a river running through it....He's an American and wants to sell it.....it has cattle on it right now and places to grow some feed.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bear in mind that good cow is not cheap. if you want to make it a business you will need nice animals and they can cost 1,000 dollars each. my FIL brought some from the states, even, for breeding. apart from having own animals he also buys milk from smaller farmers and then sells to a major player. ganaderos also have their cooperativas here on the NC. it's kind of a collective where they operate together, selling produce to major suppliers or processing it themselves. you will find more at a feria.

i also know someone who wanted to sell a farm, i can ask if they are still interested.

eddieo

Jan 3, 2009
I am interested depending the size. 1,110 tareas is about 170 acers, to small. I want about 1000 or more. I will buy milkers with calves. When they grow up either for milk or meat. My concern is our security. The farm does not worry me. I can grow it as I see fit. This is a project to give me something to do, I do not need to make money. If I buy a the land, build a great house in the middle of it, how do I secure it. I will build some houses to put up my workers s well. Your thoughts?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm not sure that you can do "when they grow up either for milk or meat" thing. generally there are different cows for milk and for meat. of course you can kill a milk cow and sell it for meat when it is too old or breaks a leg or whatever. but different breeds are used for different purposes.

as far as safety goes, this is a complex problem. you can have dogs and alarms but lots of security value comes from the location and people in the area. it's not easy to find trustworthy workers but once you do they can be great help. there is a considerable problem with stealing animals and produce too.

eddieo

Jan 3, 2009
That's the problem. We live in an ocean front gated community, and we will keep that for weekends and freinds, but never had to take care of our own security or live behind bars. I do not want bars at the ranch either. But the wife will not go till this is all settled.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There may be no clear cut answer to the security issue....

it's like a moving target.... hard to define/solve..... doable, but fluid

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You forgot the 4th type, the pessimist. This type sees nothing but the negative, the glass is always half empty. Now the pessimist thinks that he is being a realist because he has become so cynical that he no longer is objective. This may be the largest group of expats.

They tend to post a lot on this board

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this years feria in cupey is dedicated to a ganadero who was murdered about two months ago, delivering money to pay for milk. he was not the first local farmer attacked in order to be robbed either. so yeah, safety is definitely room for thought.

eddieo

Jan 3, 2009
I'm guessing you saw that Farm for sale ad on Facebook.

I'd also bet you haven't read any of the articles in the local news rags about cows being stolen and butchered. Even the long time players are having a tough one with that.

These are folks that come in at night, kill and cut up a cow in very short order. I wouldn't say there's an epidemic, but it's happening frequently.

Food for thought.

And to think I was just concerned about my families safety! But you are right. I can GPS chip every cow, weather we could get to them in time is another story. And if we do get there and ''deal'' with the ladrones that makes another story as you will have a family mad and blame us for their misfourtune...