motoring around the Cordillera Oriental 1

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Much earlier today I motored from Higuey to Otra Banda to Miches to Sabana de la mer to Hato Mayor to El Seibo and back to Higuey , a round trip crossing the low mountain range , Cordillera Oriental two times.
I will write the account in two parts . ............The mountain range in the east runs broadly east to west and has two or three folds and on occasions runs north and south .
Between the mountain range and the Samana Bay , the people are impoverished with 60 to 70 % living below the poverty line andjust over 10% finishing their high school . Gustavo Cisneros , now a Dominican ,is pouring millions into an ecologically friendly resort just out side of Miches which should give the area a boost. The residents of Sabana de la Mer,,yes they use the feminine , have been complaining for years that they are cut off from the rest of the country during rainy weather because of the state of the roads . On the other side of the mountain range , the towns of Otra Banda, El Seibo and Higuey are prosperous and there is more prosperous rural industries .
There have been no accurate accounts of the roads I used for many years so I undertook this trip with some trepidation.
Without going into minute detail , I can report that the roads on the other side of the mountain range to Samana Bay are in very good to good condition and the scenery is very beautiful , very rustic and peaceful and it is relatively easy driving .
The road from Macua beach to Miches has been totally finished and is in perfect condition. At no stage can you see the Bay until you actually reach Miches and the scenery tends to be somewhat monotoneous , but not as bad as the Coral Highway .The problem is that Miches is really a very run down town , the park near the ocean is fenced off for repairs and there is nothing to do . For real adventure you can take the road from Miches over the mountain range to El Seibo , but not a night , as it is winds around and the guaguas go way to fast ..not for me

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
motoring around Cordillera Oriental 2

The main part that I wish to concentrate is the road from Miches to Sabana de la Mer and then to Hato Mayor. The first section at present is a total disaster zone . The contractors are out in force and I counted over 200 items of heavy equipment all ready for work tomorrow building more than 30 bridges over creeks, gullies and culverts . I had to detour around all of them and it would be quite impossible to do this after even moderate rain. The road is only sealed for some short sections. My advice is NOT to use this road..it will be perfect in a year or so but at present NO. Along the way there are some staggering beautiful views over the bay to the Samana Peninsular but there is no where to pull off the road even to take a few pictures , It was tough going .
The town of Sabana de la mar is a fishing place of some12,000 people ..It was founded in 1776 and originally inhabited by people from the Canary Islands .. There are some shops with the words Sabana de la Mer as in French .. It is a nice sort of place to take a boat out onto the large bay to do some fishing .
The next section to Hato Mayor is sealed for about 60 % of the way ,,stretches of dirt and then stretches of asphelt which is rapidly deteriorating . The dirt sections are , at present , heavily coregated and driving is painfully slow . Again, there is absolutely no way I would drive at night as there are washed away sections leading to very deep valleys which are not marked.. It is not fair that this road , which has a base already in place is not properly sealed.. a very easy job compared to the Miches -Sabana section. Looking back the views are mind boggling but again there is no where to pull off the road to spend a few minutes admiring nature .
Hato Mayor , some 70 to 80,000 people has a university campus and as such is choked with young people on motor bikes.. It is a nice rural town. I was so shaken up frommy journey from Miches, that I spent an hour washing down the dust with Presidente fria . No more driving adventures for a while now .

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Did you not go to the beach with turning just before the river as you enter Miches coming from Bavaro? Lovely untouched stretch of sand and a decent German run restaurant there.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
One of the strange features of Miches to Sabana stretch was the use of the sign ..curva acentuada.. had not seen that before that I can recall...normally curva peligrosa

I did not go to the beach that ju10prd mentions . Actually there was aa donkey on the loose as I crossed the river and I was concentrating like mad .
I was in a Ford SUV .2 wheel drive. no need for four wheel drive .

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Kipling, I enjoyed that. Our daughter is heading down next week with some friends and I offered your tale as a guide for something in addition to the beach and clubs, of course giving full credit to "the guy that golfs". Love the history you provided on the area as well. My wife's family is from another region, so that was all new to me.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you 444 . Actually parts were also new to me and I feel ashamed that , having lived here for so long ,I had not been fromMiches to Sabana before . I hope your daughter will NOT take that road this time...just wait for a year and I feel , that with so much heavy equipment there , the road will be perfect and then she can enjoy trearure island

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Kipling you missed one very important piece of information.

In Sabana as you enter the main toad and head towards the centre, there is a left turn after a hundred yards with a worn out sign. This is the road to Parque Haitises and Paraiso Cano Hondo. This is a dirt road of about 12km which takes you to a point where you can hire boats to take you through the mangroves out into Bahia de San Lorenzo and so on or for an overnight stay at the unusual eco hotel there.

Great that you have written about this very lovely part of your country

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes you are correct ..most people do not know that Parque Haitises goes east to such a large extent as the other end is on the new Las Americas to north coast autopista and is the normal point of entry .It is a huge park . I saw the huge mangrove areas around Miches and Sabana but did not know about the boats,,That would be good fun . I will return in a year and maybe stay at Hotel Loma high up on the hill at Miches,,,you have to bring your own towels an dit is very run down but what a view

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yes you are correct ..most people do not know that Parque Haitises goes east to such a large extent as the other end is on the new Las Americas to north coast autopista and is the normal point of entry .It is a huge park . I saw the huge mangrove areas around Miches and Sabana but did not know about the boats,,That would be good fun . I will return in a year and maybe stay at Hotel Loma high up on the hill at Miches,,,you have to bring your own towels an dit is very run down but what a view

A boat trip starting next to Paraiso Cano Hondo and winding it's way through the mangroves into the bay and then visiting the caves and islands and the old banana pier is something that should be on the 'must do DR tourist list'. You can hire kayaks too as part of the trip to get a close up of the islands.

http://www.paraisocanohondo.com/

Watch out for the 3 geese at the hotel...they are aggressive.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
motoring around Cordillera Oriental 2

The main part that I wish to concentrate is the road from Miches to Sabana de la Mer and then to Hato Mayor. The first section at present is a total disaster zone . The contractors are out in force and I counted over 200 items of heavy equipment all ready for work tomorrow building more than 30 bridges over creeks, gullies and culverts . I had to detour around all of them and it would be quite impossible to do this after even moderate rain. The road is only sealed for some short sections. My advice is NOT to use this road..it will be perfect in a year or so but at present NO. Along the way there are some staggering beautiful views over the bay to the Samana Peninsular but there is no where to pull off the road even to take a few pictures , It was tough going .
The town of Sabana de la mar is a fishing place of some12,000 people ..It was founded in 1776 and originally inhabited by people from the Canary Islands .. There are some shops with the words Sabana de la Mer as in French .. It is a nice sort of place to take a boat out onto the large bay to do some fishing .
The next section to Hato Mayor is sealed for about 60 % of the way ,,stretches of dirt and then stretches of asphelt which is rapidly deteriorating . The dirt sections are , at present , heavily coregated and driving is painfully slow . Again, there is absolutely no way I would drive at night as there are washed away sections leading to very deep valleys which are not marked.. It is not fair that this road , which has a base already in place is not properly sealed.. a very easy job compared to the Miches -Sabana section. Looking back the views are mind boggling but again there is no where to pull off the road to spend a few minutes admiring nature .
Hato Mayor , some 70 to 80,000 people has a university campus and as such is choked with young people on motor bikes.. It is a nice rural town. I was so shaken up frommy journey from Miches, that I spent an hour washing down the dust with Presidente fria . No more driving adventures for a while now .

I had the same experience. The first part of the highway was great, except a few sharp turns. After Miches, the road was terrible. I assume once they finish all the bridges and paving, it will be a nice ride all the way to Sabana de la Mar. In Miches, I tried to get the ferry, but for some reason they did not pick up there that day. The port for the ferry is hard to find, and not marked. Most locals did not know what we were talking about.

When we got to Sabana de la Mar, I caught the last ferry leaving at 3:00. It was only 200 pesos and was a nice ride in a small ferry which took about 80 minutes.