10 lbs of Rice

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Just my musings. No question here:

I bought a 10 lb bag of rice. The people that I live with always by what they need from the colmado and it makes me a little nervous to never have food in the house. Somebody gets hungry, off to the colmado. I personally don't have much faith in the Colmado as it's natural for me to be independent and not rely on others. However, her the colmado is a life line and they frequently provide credit to their customers.

I saved a few pesos on the bulk 10 lbs of rice, maybe 70 peso. What ran 210 pesos for high quality rice would be 280 pesos for broken rice in the Colmodo, which is a greater than 33% mark up. In my mind, it's well worth the investment to buy in bulk. The Colmado is a convenience store like any other. You can expect to pay a sizable markup for the convenience.

They funny thing is that the rice disappeared in less than a week. Just gone. Whatever money I saved over the Colmado simply vanished. And, the riced seemed to disappear in two large amounts. I asked around and as usual, nobody knew anything.

Rice is a stable here and not being able to eat wheat, it's a stable for me too. However, I can buy a 3# bag of rice and it will last for weeks. There are 3 others in the household. The 7 year old will push rice around his plate and try to spread it out in the time honored traditional of pretending to eat something that is distinctly distasteful. The same 7 year old that will wolf down noodles in slurpy, noisy delight, but rice is definitely safe with him. The other two definitely eat rice probably in line with myself. I'd estimate that 4 lbs of rice for a week would be about right. 5 or 6 lbs would surprise me. 10 lbs of rice in a week would be astronomical and unimaginable. And, it doesn't explain the two large withdrawals.

Money seems safe in the house, so I don't think anybody is outright stealing. We behave like a family. I don't think blatant theft is the issue. Yet, l0 lbs disappeared and nobody is owning up to it.

I can only think of two things:

First, is that the 7 year old is in school or colegio. Perhaps a sizable donation of rice was made to the school as one of the missing “chunks” coincided with also purchasing paper plates, plastic glasses, and some plastic forks. It's possible and even likely.

Second, after some closer observation, I've come to the conclusion that food is shared widely. If you have food, you offer it far and wide to anybody that has need. Certainly, the people that I live with have had economic scrapes in the past, so the mandate to share food is definitely there. it's likely a given that we're feeding more people than the 4 in the household.

Still, it doesn't explain the second large withdrawal. I suspect somebody owed somebody food. Or, maybe it was a donation to the church. Taking money would be stealing, but donating food is within acceptable Dominican behavior.

At any rate, the 33% mark up at the colmado is starting to look like a bargain. I'm certainly not motivated to buy another 10 lb bag although I doubt it went to nefarious purposes.

Ah, I can't help it. I enjoy a good mystery. Another 10lb bag of rice coming up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just my musings. No question here:

I bought a 10 lb bag of rice. The people that I live with always by what they need from the colmado and it makes me a little nervous to never have food in the house. Somebody gets hungry, off to the colmado. I personally don't have much faith in the Colmado as it's natural for me to be independent and not rely on others. However, her the colmado is a life line and they frequently provide credit to their customers.

I saved a few pesos on the bulk 10 lbs of rice, maybe 70 peso. What ran 210 pesos for high quality rice would be 280 pesos for broken rice in the Colmodo, which is a greater than 33% mark up. In my mind, it's well worth the investment to buy in bulk. The Colmado is a convenience store like any other. You can expect to pay a sizable markup for the convenience.

They funny thing is that the rice disappeared in less than a week. Just gone. Whatever money I saved over the Colmado simply vanished. And, the riced seemed to disappear in two large amounts. I asked around and as usual, nobody knew anything.

Rice is a stable here and not being able to eat wheat, it's a stable for me too. However, I can buy a 3# bag of rice and it will last for weeks. There are 3 others in the household. The 7 year old will push rice around his plate and try to spread it out in the time honored traditional of pretending to eat something that is distinctly distasteful. The same 7 year old that will wolf down noodles in slurpy, noisy delight, but rice is definitely safe with him. The other two definitely eat rice probably in line with myself. I'd estimate that 4 lbs of rice for a week would be about right. 5 or 6 lbs would surprise me. 10 lbs of rice in a week would be astronomical and unimaginable. And, it doesn't explain the two large withdrawals.

Money seems safe in the house, so I don't think anybody is outright stealing. We behave like a family. I don't think blatant theft is the issue. Yet, l0 lbs disappeared and nobody is owning up to it.

I can only think of two things:

First, is that the 7 year old is in school or colegio. Perhaps a sizable donation of rice was made to the school as one of the missing ?chunks? coincided with also purchasing paper plates, plastic glasses, and some plastic forks. It's possible and even likely.

Second, after some closer observation, I've come to the conclusion that food is shared widely. If you have food, you offer it far and wide to anybody that has need. Certainly, the people that I live with have had economic scrapes in the past, so the mandate to share food is definitely there. it's likely a given that we're feeding more people than the 4 in the household.

Still, it doesn't explain the second large withdrawal. I suspect somebody owed somebody food. Or, maybe it was a donation to the church. Taking money would be stealing, but donating food is within acceptable Dominican behavior.

At any rate, the 33% mark up at the colmado is starting to look like a bargain. I'm certainly not motivated to buy another 10 lb bag although I doubt it went to nefarious purposes.

Ah, I can't help it. I enjoy a good mystery. Another 10lb bag of rice coming up.

i am proud of you. you really seem to understand a lot of what goes on here. you just need a little filling in, and you are going to do just fine.

a few tips. never buy things in bulk. they do not, and there are reasons why. if you buy a half a liter soda, people will drink whatever they can, and be perfectly satisfied. if you buy a 2 liter, it is not going to last 4 times as long, chronologically speaking. they will just drink 4 times as much in the same time span. the rest they will give away to Belkis and Yuberkis.

here is a little experiment you can try. go to the almacen, and buy one of those industrial loaves of bread that are about 2 feet long. take it home with a bottle of strawberry jam and see how long it lasts.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Good thing it was just rice, not coffee or Ron Barcelo.
Hey, you fed somebody that might have gone hungry, so feel good about your deeds.

Buy a security camera set up to monitor the theft, and post the video for fun.

Great story, keep us posted,

tio tambo'

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well we buy rice 50 lbs at a time, and my mother-in-law buys separate rice for giving to her sister and nephew, both who return the favour with fruit or plantains. I suspect it was given to a relative. MIL checks the coffee every morning along with everything else because she doesn't trust the maid. The maid has been there for six years and never taken anything, but she still watches her like a hawk.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many dominican waste food. they cook too much because sharing is caring and whatever is left they simply throw away because food storage procedures are not common among gente de barrio. thus, likely that half of what you bought ended in a large heap on the side of the rubbish container. the household of my in laws "uses" about 50 pounds of rice a month. buen provecho.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
many dominican waste food. they cook too much because sharing is caring and whatever is left they simply throw away because food storage procedures are not common among gente de barrio. thus, likely that half of what you bought ended in a large heap on the side of the rubbish container. the household of my in laws "uses" about 50 pounds of rice a month. buen provecho.

yes, it is the portions which mystify me. go to a comedor, and buy a simple plato del dia. it is like they used a front end loader to shovel in all that rice. most times i have to stop the server, after i can no longer see the plate. i have no idea what that is all about.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
a few tips. never buy things in bulk.

I've been reminded of a plague of locusts on many occasions.

I went for weeks without avocados despite asking for them. I assumed that nobody, but me liked avocados. I finally found one of the many Haitian women that wander the streets with tubs on their heads. She was delighted to have a customer, and I bought what I needed for a few days before they would start to spoil.

I brought them home where they evaporated in a feeding frenzy. I was amused.

Later I asked: why not buy avocados if you like them so much and I've been asking for them? Answer: the colmado didn't have them. The damn colmado again.

btw, it's not all bad not having food in the house. I've dropped weight. Maybe that and I've seen this effect before when I go outside the United States. My autoimmune issues are far, far better outside the United States. I don't understand the reasons for that. Food? Sanitation? It's a mystery. But, I leave the United States every chance I get.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've been reminded of a plague of locusts on many occasions.

I went for weeks without avocados despite asking for them. I assumed that nobody, but me liked avocados. I finally found one of the many Haitian women that wander the streets with tubs on their heads. She was delighted to have a customer, and I bought what I needed for a few days before they would start to spoil.

I brought them home where they evaporated in a feeding frenzy. I was amused.

Later I asked: why not buy avocados if you like them so much and I've been asking for them? Answer: the colmado didn't have them. The damn colmado again.

btw, it's not all bad not having food in the house. I've dropped weight. Maybe that and I've seen this effect before when I go outside the United States. My autoimmune issues are far, far better outside the United States. I don't understand the reasons for that. Food? Sanitation? It's a mystery. But, I leave the United States every chance I get.

say what you will, but in my experience, and that of many of my friends, your health improves in the DR. i used to suffer from debilitating hypertension in the USA. doctors tried to control it, but could not. i came to the DR, and a doctor at Bournigal had my pressure down to teenager level in 2 weeks. he told me that it was not the medication, but the environment. he warned me i would not be long for the world if i stayed in the USA. so, with my very decent blood pressure level, i went back to work the following Monday, and on Thursday i collapsed at my desk. EMS came and took me away in an ambulance. my pressure was through the roof. i went into the office on Monday and resigned, and headed back to the DR. my pressure is just fine.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
i went into the office on Monday and resigned, and headed back to the DR. my pressure is just fine.

Yeah, I hear you. I really wish I could just retire. Unfortunately, my divorce left me with just the house, and the last Florida real estate collapse separated me from that asset before I could sell it. I've been rebuilding my assets, but it's clear to me that my work is really, really bad for my health. I'm just trying to hold on until I can get my children through school. Less than 3 years now....

I'm between projects now, but even that makes me nervous. I wish I had an alternative.... I keep wracking my brain for one.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
maybe your previous health issues were work/stress related. many dominicans suffer from hypertension and diabetes so it's not exactly environment and food: http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...rial-afecta-un-34-7-de-la-poblacin-GNDL412589

you are absolutely right. that is what the guy at Bournigal said, and he was right on the money. sincehypertension is in the genes, i did not wish to tempt fate, so i got out of the USA as fast as i could.

as for the Dominicans and hypertension..you would have it too, if you ate a pound of salt on each tostone.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, I hear you. I really wish I could just retire. Unfortunately, my divorce left me with just the house, and the last Florida real estate collapse separated me from that asset before I could sell it. I've been rebuilding my assets, but it's clear to me that my work is really, really bad for my health. I'm just trying to hold on until I can get my children through school. Less than 3 years now....

I'm between projects now, but even that makes me nervous. I wish I had an alternative.... I keep wracking my brain for one.

i wish you the best. you sound like a guy who deserves a good break. i am confident that you will make it out the other side, intact. knock em dead!

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
yes, it is the portions which mystify me. go to a comedor, and buy a simple plato del dia. it is like they used a front end loader to shovel in all that rice. most times i have to stop the server, after i can no longer see the plate. i have no idea what that is all about.

Ah, no no no. We gonna depRt company here. I can't stand when they put a little rice formed in a cup or sometimes a triangle!! I want UNA Monta?a de arroz. And then I take spoon fools of the bean or guise do and sort of rest it on the rice soaking a layer, then instantly scooping it up, all yummy rice and gravy on spoon. Hmmm. That's why you want a mountain. So you can make ledges and valleys and rivers of stew and frijoles. Yummy

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I really enjoy your posts..
Yeagh ,as was said, if it was rum or coffee or money, then u got major reasons to be upset, big time..

but RICE ?
yeagh ,, sometimes ya just gotta let some sh*T slide....

I would keep buying the 10 lb bags without hesitation... Maybe put a NOTE on it in spanish .
"Hey, if you HUNGRY and need some extra Rice, all you got to do is ASK me, but please leave some for the next hungry person "..
Not sure how to say it in Spanish though . but they would get the message.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
by what you wrote i gather that you hooked up with a woman from a poor background and you are likely maintaining a chunk of her family too. while i would not want to pass any judgement on that choice i must warn you that usually, those kind of people are pretty much set in their ways and it may be hard to teach them to adopt to a better life. you have two options now. you either let go and live unperturbed while supplying the rice as it runs out, be it 10 pounds a week or 10 pounds a day or you buy a certain amount every week and let them go hungry each time they use it up in a shorter period of time while you happily eat out alone. they may eventually learn how to manage the supplies you so generously provide.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Gringo Rubio your musings are welcome here. I hope to here more. May I ask, you mentioned a few years for kids to get done with school yet young ones eating the rice. Do you have to sets of kids? That's a lot of rice. Good luck bother. Keep us posted.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have discovered when I buy extra its gone quick. Even the dog food. I used to buy 50 pound bags and they went quick. Now I buy small bags and they last a long time. Its one of those Dominican things we will never understand. BTW, white rice is terrible from a nutrition standpoint. Much better with brown rice. Plus the Dominicans will not like the brown rice and it will last forever.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We'll ship down 100 pounds of rice, 50 pounds of bread flour and 5 gallons of cooking oil for our next 4 month stay. Maybe we're just lucky, but never any issue with anything disappearing. Maybe the difference is that the only Dominican woman in the kitchen is our long-time maid.

The only kitchen item that seems to grow legs is extra virgin olive oil - I used to send down one of the huge cans, but now I just buy it there.

zoom, you're so right about the brown rice, but the problem is that I don't like it either! I tried brown Jasmine rice, not bad, but not really my cup of tea.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
A E,
Could you tell us how you "ship it down " ?? details, or point to a thread which explains this process..
I have heard of this " filling a 55 gal size drum" and sending it down.. would be interested in knowing more details on it though .. I am guessing it is not FLOWN down , cuz that would cost way more than some 50 lb bag of flour ans some olive oil is worth..
im in NJ by the way
thanks