tourist arrivals are up again

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The cruise boats seem to be coming here earler in the season. I have noticed many more tourists in the capital in the past few months than in past years, but that only accounts for a fraction. The real action is the arrival gate at Punta Cana airport and I suppose all those new flights are now showing more arrivals in the statistics.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The cruise boats seem to be coming here earler in the season. I have noticed many more tourists in the capital in the past few months than in past years, but that only accounts for a fraction. The real action is the arrival gate at Punta Cana airport and I suppose all those new flights are now showing more arrivals in the statistics.

under normal circumstances, a cruise ship passenger is not counted as a tourist. by WTO accounting procedures, a tourist is a person who spends more than 24 hours, but less than a year, in a place that is not his or her usual abode. they can do this for pleasure, or for business purposes. cruise passengers who spend a few hours in port are not considered to be tourists.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
before you start to argue, the article only talks about air arrivals. some info in terms of cruise ship passengers can be found here: http://puertoplatahabla.com/pp/rd-marcara-un-hito-en-esta-temporada-en-la-industria-de-cruceros/
De esta manera, Salazar nos indica que en el 2011, arribaron al pa?s un total aproximado de 423.584 cruceristas, en el 2012 con 425.936, luego en el 2013 un aumento considerable al recibir 491.001 y en el 2014 arribaron un total de 503.837 y para el 2015 se estima cerrar con unos 620.169 cruceristas.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
before you start to argue, the article only talks about air arrivals. some info in terms of cruise ship passengers can be found here: http://puertoplatahabla.com/pp/rd-marcara-un-hito-en-esta-temporada-en-la-industria-de-cruceros/
De esta manera, Salazar nos indica que en el 2011, arribaron al pa?s un total aproximado de 423.584 cruceristas, en el 2012 con 425.936, luego en el 2013 un aumento considerable al recibir 491.001 y en el 2014 arribaron un total de 503.837 y para el 2015 se estima cerrar con unos 620.169 cruceristas.

i only made mention of what i did because Kipling said something about cruise ships.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
under normal circumstances, a cruise ship passenger is not counted as a tourist. by WTO accounting procedures, a tourist is a person who spends more than 24 hours, but less than a year, in a place that is not his or her usual abode. they can do this for pleasure, or for business purposes. cruise passengers who spend a few hours in port are not considered to be tourists.

If those people arriving on the Cruise ship are required to buy a tourist card to enter then they are indeed tourists.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Ok

An increase of 8.5% by air of non resident tourists arrivals and an increasing number of 'excursionists' arriving by boat annually.

Total figure for the 'bean counters' keeps rising at a significant rate.......and more hotels breaking ground and many more to come.

Sounds very positive news for DR to me.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Ok

An increase of 8.5% by air of non resident tourists arrivals and an increasing number of 'excursionists' arriving by boat annually.

Total figure for the 'bean counters' keeps rising at a significant rate.......and more hotels breaking ground and many more to come.

Sounds very positive news for DR to me.

yeh a new ho tel with others almost not showing a profit....
but as i have said b4 tourism is growing.....bingo and d.r. will get its increase...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
People who are calling for a boycott are idiots. Those who listen to idiots will not missed.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you are fat, sunburned, wearing shorts with white socks and sandals you are a tourist. 8.5 percent aint spit. Dominican statistical margin of error is plus or minus 50%.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Punta Cana receives over 50% of incoming flights...

If we could get their numbers, we'd be more than 1/2 way to knowing the numbers
actually, way more than 1/2 way, if you know your arithmetic

The other airports will be small by comparison
Most tourists arrive PUJ.....

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am deeply sorry if I offended Senor Gorgan . I actually think the cruise passengers do stay in the DR for more than 24 hours and do submit their passports and do buy a tourist card , but I agree with Senor Webster who says the reason for the increase is at the Punta Cana airport .

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
The airlines keep discontinuing flights to the SDQ. AA now only offers flights from Miami. Used to be Miami, New York and
San Juan. Other airlines have reduced flights to SDQ also. Now that USAirways is gone, the Philly flight is ending soon also. Punta Cana is the sole reason for the increase.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am deeply sorry if I offended Senor Gorgan . I actually think the cruise passengers do stay in the DR for more than 24 hours and do submit their passports and do buy a tourist card , but I agree with Senor Webster who says the reason for the increase is at the Punta Cana airport .

generally speaking, cruise ships to this part of the world dock at early am hours, and leave by around 4pm. if you have information to the contrary, feel free to share.