propane gas in car (2 best days of my life)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The 2 best days in a propane gas system installation in a car are: the day you install it in the car and the day you remove it from the car.
I have had propane gas system installed in my car for many years. At first, I was very happy with the results as I was driving from santiago to santo domingo everyday. I saved a fortune coming back and forth and happy to report I got my money's worth (cost of the system, including installation). i think i may have paid between 11k to 14k at the time. Not too sure of the exact amount. The car ran fine for many years and I was pleased with the results. Then later on, I started to get some problems in the system. I soon realized there was continuous maintenance on the system was involved. Often times the converter of gas was taken out and cleaned form inside and the re calibrated to obtain the optimum mixture. then all of the sudden my fuel injectors started to act up. being out of action for so long, the fuel injectors became clogged. then my car started to experience miss fires in cylinders and bad idle. Car just didn't feel right. really bad gasoline mileage and gas as well. I had it repaired numerous times and every time they would change the seals, change the spark plugs and spark plug wires and clean this and that. but the problem would continue to a certain degree at all the times. The gas converter got rusted and water leaked out causing my car to overheat. this cost me a new head gasket. then every time they would take out the gas converter for cleaning they would unplug so many electrical sockets and tubes that something would always end up stayed loose or disconnected and then an electrical socket broke. This is when I had it enough. so I went to santiago and made a deal with a mechanic. take out the whole system and bring back the car to default gasoline condition and keep all the gas installation equipment (tank and all) and not changer me anything for the work. he agreed and I must say he did a good job bringing the car to original gasoline powered state.
now all of the sudden the car runs great, smooth and even gives me great gas mileage. I am a happy chappy again.
AZB

DRDYL

Feb 16, 2014
I would love to try to help those who are frustrated with the performance of the gas conversions. Unfortunately, some of those in the thread i started a couple of days ago talked me out of it! It seems like there is space in that market for a much better kit. A system that doesn't kill fuel injectors, and better optimizes the mixture and ignition timing. It may be too great a hurdle!

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/153763-CNG-Propane-Powered-Cars

Glad you are happy with your car back to original spec!