Driving and buying a car

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I am a new poster,long time lurker,lol,and have a few questions concerning buying a car. I have been coming to the DR for ten years on short trips of a week or two,last year rented an apartment for five months,was in the DR off and on and this year I plan on spending six months continuously. I will be living just outside Sosua but I have spent a lot of time in Pto Pta as well.

I want to buy a car but am unsure of whether or not I am allowed to until I get my residency,I read on another website that I am not allowed to drive until I am outside my tourist visa/stamp. I was surprised to read this. It said that if I get into an accident I go straight to jail,eff that.

Assuming that I can drive legally with proper insurance etc,what do I need to get from the owner of the car that I buy and how do I register it and does anyone have a recommendation on insurance agencies. I thought that I read on this forum of people for hire that will do the dirty work for me,that would be great but I can not find that post for the life of me.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,I promise to contribute wherever and whenever I can going forward.

Thanks,Tom0910

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Wouldn't you know it, the one day that "the gorgon" has not posted a dozen times yet.... lol

Just kidding he's posted about 2 dozen times today, surprised he has not responded.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wouldn't you know it, the one day that "the gorgon" has not posted a dozen times yet.... lol

Just kidding he's posted about 2 dozen times today, surprised he has not responded.

the fact that i post 2 dozen times per day is a living reminder how much i like to be in the company of DR1 posters. i consider you all my family. i would much rather have an exchange with you guys than to saddle myself with some dumbass chica, listening to crap about celulares and ropas and zapatos and salon. see, to each his own.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am a new poster,long time lurker,lol,and have a few questions concerning buying a car. I have been coming to the DR for ten years on short trips of a week or two,last year rented an apartment for five months,was in the DR off and on and this year I plan on spending six months continuously. I will be living just outside Sosua but I have spent a lot of time in Pto Pta as well.

I want to buy a car but am unsure of whether or not I am allowed to until I get my residency,I read on another website that I am not allowed to drive until I am outside my tourist visa/stamp. I was surprised to read this. It said that if I get into an accident I go straight to jail,eff that.

Assuming that I can drive legally with proper insurance etc,what do I need to get from the owner of the car that I buy and how do I register it and does anyone have a recommendation on insurance agencies. I thought that I read on this forum of people for hire that will do the dirty work for me,that would be great but I can not find that post for the life of me.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,I promise to contribute wherever and whenever I can going forward.

Thanks,Tom0910

post 6 more times, then send me a pm. you need 10 posts.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
the fact that i post 2 dozen times per day is a living reminder how much i like to be in the company of DR1 posters. i consider you all my family. i would much rather have an exchange with you guys than to saddle myself with some dumbass chica, listening to crap about celulares and ropas and zapatos and salon. see, to each his own.

With all due respect, I rank my DR1 exchanges just below celulares, but well above ropas y zapatos!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
You definitely can buy a car without a residency card. I know dozens of people who have . You can drive legally with your overseas drivers licence for three months after each entry to the DR . Some AMET people are now asking for evidence of your last entry date . As for insurance,it is my opinion that if you have an accident when driving with an overseas licence, there is not a problem if it is within the three months but may be a problem after that .
If you have an accident , well that is a different question with many possibilities and we have had many postings here on the ramifications of having an accident whether it is your fault or not . Drive with total care .