hotels with activities for kids

tracy parrott

Jan 19, 2002
hi

I have two children aged 4 and 5 and would like to visit the dominican republic for a 2 to 3 week holiday.

Can anyone tell us where we can stay that will offer plenty of kids activities for that age group [so we can have a rest!].

Also...is it really necessary to take malaria tablets? I feel that they're too young though I know they will need the other jabs.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
The Hamaca in Boca Chica. Kids activities galore. And I mean galore. Game rooms, ice cream parlors, pizza stations, "kids club", supervized playground, multiple "children's pools", ... The back side of the resort has putt-putt running between the buildings. The beach is calm and shallow - perfect for small children. I'd say it is THE best place for kids I've seen in the Dominican Republic. Even the locals that can afford it occassionally splurge and buy a day pass to spend the day with their kids at this resort.

Outside the resort is a very popular place for Dominican families. Many rent paddle boats and the whole family floats around all afternoon sipping drinks. Lots like to hang out in lounge chairs at the foot of the water while their kids play in the 6-12 inch deep water, where the sand is soft, white (or light tan), and generally free of debris (except Sundays - the place really gets trashed by the crowds who throw anything and everything on the ground).

See http://bocachicabeach.net/hotels/hotels_all_inclusive.html and the rest of the site for information about Boca Chica. The kids will also love walking the main street of calle duarte from about 7-9pm (supervised), where lots of tourists bring their kids for ice cream, to browse the trinket shops that are filled with colorful inflatables, and the well-to-do locals let their kids drive around in their carrito barbis (electric barbi cars).

The street is also lined with bars and the young waitresses just love small children. The kids will be smiled at, told how cute they are, lifted up onto the bars and offered fruit juice. Get the kids back to the resort (1 block away) before it gets too late though because after about 10pm, the single men start to prowl and the scene can get a bit seedy as the night goes on.