Powerful"mafia"of investors who own in Punta Cana area will not allow SW to develop ?

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Powerful"mafia"of investors who own in Punta Cana area will not allow SW to develop ?

Speaking to some locals... there seemed to be a reference about several " forces that be " will not allow or at least make it very hard for hotels and tourist destinations to develop in the virgin , SW part of the island ?

They invested way to much for too long to have tourist start coming to DR and not land in Punta Cana. is there any truth to this ???

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
One of the main players in east coast tourism, Grupo Puntacana, is developing a project in the SW, Los Corbanitos in Ban?, so it clearly doesn't worry them.

Feb 7, 2007
There were huge land litigation about SW land ... and it is not over yet. This is one of the most important reasons.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think part of it is problems with titles, part is in lack of infrastructure (roads, shops, schools, transport, power, water and so on) and part is lack of motivation. but i expect it to develop sooner or later. never been there but heard the area is very beautiful and still somewhat secluded and unspoiled.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rainieri and friends would invest in the SW in a heartbeat if there was infrastructure in the works.
The Bani Bypass is an example of this.
The project is on the south side of Bani but the by-pass was scheduled to go around the north side of the city--where the poor barrios are located.

Rainieri told the legislative commission that that would not work, because the norther route would cause an untimely delay the the arrival of passengers from
Europe to their destination at his new resort. He explained that travelers will not tolerate trips of more than an hour or so from the airport.
Therefore, the southern route was chosen although it does affect some farmlands.

Nobody, not even Dominicans like to travel to the Southwest. It is beautiful, full of different geographies, and has beaches that rival
any in the world. But it is tough to get to.

There is no "mafia" but there are economic restraints to opening up the south...

HB

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have some questions of those living in the SW region because I have only driven to Barahona and back staying at Casa del mar which was very nice but small . I have never been to lake Enriquillo nor to the peninsula with Bahia de Aquilas. My question is..what development would you undertake to make this sw area more popular ?? . As most of the area is so wonderful in its present state would you try to revitalise Barahona and build major hotels there with drives to the beaches and the lake ..or would you pick a beautiful long stretch of beach and build the AI hotels there but confine the development to just this one area?? It is too far for day trips from the capital

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Speaking to some locals... there seemed to be a reference about several " forces that be " will not allow or at least make it very hard for hotels and tourist destinations to develop in the virgin , SW part of the island ?

They invested way to much for too long to have tourist start coming to DR and not land in Punta Cana. is there any truth to this ???

Speaking to some locals?
Gossip.

Rainieri and friends would invest in the SW in a heartbeat if there was infrastructure in the works.
The Bani Bypass is an example of this.
The project is on the south side of Bani but the by-pass was scheduled to go around the north side of the city--where the poor barrios are located.

Rainieri told the legislative commission that that would not work, because the norther route would cause an untimely delay the the arrival of passengers from
Europe to their destination at his new resort. He explained that travelers will not tolerate trips of more than an hour or so from the airport.
Therefore, the southern route was chosen although it does affect some farmlands.

Nobody, not even Dominicans like to travel to the Southwest. It is beautiful, full of different geographies, and has beaches that rival
any in the world. But it is tough to get to.

There is no "mafia" but there are economic restraints to opening up the south...

HB

I totally agree with my learned friend.