motorcycle rental

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Hi everyone. As you may know from my previous posts, I'm heading to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks in March. I am an experienced motorcyclist and have ridden for about 8,000 kilometers in Thailand and Indonesia. I am fully aware of the dangers of road conditions in less developed nations, so I am not in need of warnings regarding this. However, I do need recommendations for places at which to rent a motorcycle. I am looking for a proper motorcycle, not a scooter. I do not want a dual purpose (dirt) bike. A small motorcycle is fine, and I am looking a dealership that is reliable and has fair prices. Any place that offers discounts for weekly rentals would be especially good. The bike needs to have room for 2, as I'll have a passenger with me, and should be in good enough condition to travel significant distances.
Thanks again for your help.
Todd

grantc

Jan 2, 2002
toddy
you may have a hard time finding a place that will rent a real bike. Almost all of the rental places I have come across only rent scooters or DT's (Yamaha dirt bikes 125cc or 175cc).
There was one place in Sosua that was renting what seemed to be a Korean version of a small Honda Shadow, but that is the only thing resembling a true street bike. One thing that you won't have to worry about are the highways (North Coast at least). I have ridden from P.P all the way to Samana and found the roads in pretty good shape. Just watch out for the busses and larger trucks, to them people on bikes are like speed bumps.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Bikes

I have rented everything from scooters to 125 dt's to Harleys in the DR and have found the DT's to be the best......for one thing, the roads are somewhat sh**y, and the DT's handle the potholes easily. Your cost should be around 35.00 US for 24 hrs for a DT. Be aware of theft and also make sure the renter and you check the whole bike over so as you are both on the same page regaurding scratches and dents "ALREADY" on the bike. I like ti rent the Bike early in the morning and return as late as possible so you get the most out of the bike and you don't have to worry about the overnight thing with it!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
You are insane to do this while on vacation in the DR. Perhaps a trip to the local hospital is in order before you head out...just so you know what kind of services are available.

wishing you luck
marc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have a GREAT time!!!!

Toddy,please be careful here! Sometimes the roads have "Big" holes in them!Remember that we drive on the "LEFT" side of the road here!Criss Colon

Last edited:

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Renting a Motorcycle in the DR - wise or not?

I've rented motorcycles in the DR on many occassions. I never had an accident, was never charged for damages nor did I cause any, I never had any close calls, and I always had a blast.

------------------------------------------------------
The drawbacks I encountered:

They usually want to hold on to your passport. Sometimes when I went to turn the bike back in, the "guy that has your passport" was on a perpetual break.

I always had a hard time finding a bike where everything was in good order. It was alway a bent handlebar, headlight out, broken horn, brakes bad, would stall instead of idle, ...

I always had anxiety anytime I left the bike unattended. I was always worried about it being stolen, even though it had a good lock. Putting the lock on and taking it off always left my hands black and greasy.
------------------------------------------------------

It is not true that cars and busses show no regard for motorcycles. Maybe some do not show regard, but mostly they honk, move over to go around you, etc. Dominicans are not so evil as to run you because you were in their way. You want to see "no regard"? Try Brazil. There, busses will speed up if it will increase their chances of hitting you. No kidding.

Motorcycles are dangerous. Yes. Accept that fact or don't ride one. They are dangerous in the USA too. Maybe even more so because they are less common so people don't always notice you on the road.

Last edited:

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
After I wrote the response below, Criss replaced his offensive posting with a much more pleasant one. This turns my response into nonsense, as the letter to which it was responding is no longer posted. I would delete the response as well, but I will preserve it in the interest of maintaining a record of probably the most antagonistic exchange in this board's history.
todd

hey criss,
I just wanted to let you know that your condescending tone is most unappreciated and is blatantly disrespectful, reflecting negatively not upon me but upon you. First of all, as I said before, I am very aware of the dangers of road conditions in the DR. I have driven in India and motorbiked in Indonesia. Roads there suck too and zero respect is given for motorcyclists. Thailand is a step up, but not too far up. Second (to the guy who mentioned taking a trip to hospitals) I am very aware of the resource shortages and technological inadequacy from which hospitals in underdeveloped nations suffer. I don't need you to enlighten me about this, nor do I need to take a field trip to a hospital. I was hospitalized in a state (public) facility in Indonesia due to food poisoning. Also, this "idiot" who is willing to recklessly risk his life on the DR's roads has done research at Oxford University on the economics and politics of underdeveloped nations, and I have reviewed many empirical studies of resource shortages in their transportation and medical sectors. In short, I am very well-versed in the shortcomings of medical care and road conditions in underdeveloped nations. I am a student now at one of the top law schools in America, and it's ludicrous that you (criss, not marc) address me like some sort of dim-wit. It's also pretty downright hilarious that you pick out and exploit my use of the term "bike" to characterize me as some sort of naive buffoon, as if I purposely use that term to make the activity sound innocent. I am really impressed with the size of the bike you drove in Thailand. The bikes I drove in Indonesia were only in the 300cc range; I guess this makes me some sort of moron in need of your benevolent guidance. What I've found is that very defensive driving results in safe trips. I go very slow, show deference to larger vehicles, and avoid especially crowded areas if possible. You obviously have an over-inflated ego, which you need to reaffirm through insulting strangers like me on online bulletin boards and probably also through engaging in unsafe and overly aggressive driving practices. Get a little tact and subtlety in your writing and maybe you won't provoke reactions like this.
I was 1 mile from ground zero when the plane struck; that sickened me, but it didn't scare me. I understand the danger one is under in riding a motorbike, but I don't harbor disproportionate and exaggerated fears of this danger. I'm not xenophobic, I don't go near resorts, and I let what will happen happen. I try to live without barriers. Forgive me if you find this distasteful.

Last edited:

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Toddy

Don't take what Criss said wrong.... That's Criss!Plain & Simple(although I do not mean Criss is plain & simple.....very far from it!!lol)So....don't worry about it! Have fun and be careful! I ride all the time and have only broken my leg seven times!(just joking....but it is very dangerous if your not extreamly careful) You'll be ok, if you do as you say! I like the word about scared of strangers!
But to be honest.....if your a regular here....those words would not bother you!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Simmer

For someone who has seen so many countries/cultures, you sure do get upset at someone for trying to help, even though you may have a different opinion.

How about "thanks for the tips, I'll let you know how it goes.". It is shorter to type and a nicer way to thank people for their input to a question that you posted asking for assistance.

marc

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Hey Marc:
I get upset when the reply is stated rudely. Generally, I am very appreciative of tips and assistance. See my past posts for evidence of this, in which I thank people profusely for their help.
I don't consider it helpful when someone speaks in insulting language, unless this is due to cultural difference which makes that person unaware that he is being rude.
later.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Toddy: Some people here are the "spice" of life :) They offer sound advice, and make a lot of us laugh at the same time. You will come to know the people I am talking about the more you read the board. I hope you enjoy your trip here in the DR.

I also ride. Have a Ninja ZX6 and Shadow 750 at home waiting for me to return. Down here I have been reduced to riding motoconchos!

Take care. If you need a hand while in the Sosua area drop me an email.

marc

Papito

Jan 23, 2002
Riding in the DR..

Toddy:

Riding in the DR is just like everywhere else... Just get your bike and Ride my brother!!!!!!!!! I wish I could be there. I have a nice Suzuki TL1000 I would Love to ride in the Northern DR.

Good Luck..

Papito

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I meant the RIGHT side!

I had a mental lapse Toddy! You drive on the right side here. I must have been thinking about St. Thomas."No Harm,No Foul"!!!Keep the "Shinny Side up,and the "Rubber Side Down"! Criss Colon

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Criss, go back to the "open" forum, pleeeeseeeeee!!!
Some people are not ready for you here.
Criss offers sound advice, you just have to dissect his messages first :)

Riding a bike in the DR can be fun as long as you are aware of the dangers.
If you have driven in other countries, I'm sure your well aware of the hazards.
It's not different here to Thailand, Philippines etc.

My best advice, DO NOT drive at night, this I feel is plain stupidity, regardless of how good or experienced you think you are.

I your looking for a good quality bike, you are better off actually buying one.
I haven't heard too many good things said about rental agencies here.

Have fun!

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Thank you Robert for the helpful and well-stated advice. Driving at night is another one that I definitely try to avoid, except when it is impossible to do otherwise. Once I was in Thailand and I had the choice of riding 40 miles at midnight or staying in a flea-invested "hotel," the only one in town. I chose the 40 mile ride--definitely preferable to flea-bites.

I assumed that those who had enough leisure time and money to travel to the DR would not express themselves like hoodlums. I suppose I expected too much.

(For Criss, hoodlum means a person whose habit it is to commit crimes or who shares the manners and demeanor of one with such habits.)

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
renting

Toddy,

When I rented a car, they asked to keep my passport as collateral. Deeming this more important than my driver's license, I left that instead. Next time, I'll offer photocopies instead.

As for the roads, the northern highway from POP to Samana is good, easy, and interesting. The Highway south from POP to SD is long and boring. If you want to explore the South coast, I would try to work my way down the Eastern end from Samana through Higuey. It could be interesting and fun, and at the least, it won't be boring.

aside:
It don't know where some of these people are coming from.

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
Dear Todd,
I just got back from the DR. I didn't have a bike with me but I wished I did. The busses do get closer than they do in the states. But just keep a level head and you should do fine.
As I watched them ride in Las Terrenas it looked like total Caos in the streets, but as you watch them a little closer you see that they are yelding to each other in a lot more polite way than we do in the states. They mind their manners and take their turns. Like I said I didn't have a bike with me but I will the next time. My best advice is to keep a level head, don't panic, and stay alert. Just like you should anywhere.
Keith, Taos New Mexico

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Toddy

That previous post is a little misleading....in my opinion anyways. I do not think others mind you very well at all!!! Drive defensively......but as we both know....this post is useless.... as I know you'll be aware!

Fulano

Jan 31, 2002
Toddy, Change your spark plug.

If you end up renting one of the 2 stroke DT 125 or 175's, I would highly recommend driving to a bike parts shop (repuestos, every town has them) and buy a new spark plug (buj?a). This $ 25 peso investment (one of the guys at the parts place will also install it for a tip) will pay for itself many times over by increasing your riding enjoyment as most rental shop bikes tend to have fouled plugs. BTW, I have been riding here for about 8 years without incident and as you are an experienced rider, I think you'll have a great time.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Toddy:

At first glance, I was going to chime in with my own DON'T, but then I realized that I have ridden bikes here and am still around to tell about it. Hell's bells, I drive here nearly every day and, although I have really had just about every type of accident you can possibly imagine, I have survived. I mean, to quote whoever it was: Shit happens! Right?

Do be careful, and you will have a lot of fun.

HB

PS. I've been here a long, long time, too......more than any other poster here!

Last edited: