Most interesting news today with dr1 20 october 2015

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Leaving aside the boring political stuff , there is a weath of interesting news today here on DR1 , the best for weeks .
1 shrimp and fish farming will be revved up in rice fields around POP
2 Cars increas in numbers in the capital but with no road planning
3 Conatra tring to keep Uber out of the DR .Uber is the taxi service from a mobile phone
4 DR worst in traffic fatalities..hardly news
5 Three dead is that dreadful Caribe Tours accident San Francisco de Macoris..recently in a thread here
6 Fake notes in circulation in the east of the capital
7 Muggings by your motor bike gangs on Las Americas, Puente Juan Carlos and Avenida Espana .

I do not know how UBER can be kept out especially if they have unmarked taxis and something must be done to stop these muggings by young delinquents riding in pairs an dattacking people waiting for buses.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's not so difficult to fight Uber, if they can just sign up, use the device and then follow that vehicle afterwards. They only have to do it five times and the message will be out.

in the end I don't doubt Uner will pay someone to let the problem go away.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On the fact that traffic in Santo Domingo is getting worse everyday, there's one guy who saw that coming 12 years ago and started a much loathed and also much praised subway system. Did they steal money with it, probably....was it a good call, for sure.

Many people claimed they should have spent that money on healthcare and education, but how would traffic be today without subway, express ways, tunnels etc. you can't choose as a government, need to do both.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
# 5 Three dead is that dreadful Caribe Tours accident San Francisco de Macoris..recently in a thread here...

As far as I am concerned, three people killed in a traffic accident any day of the week in this country is three people too many.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am more worried about these dreadful muggings than Uber ..the bus stop at las Americas at Puente Juan Carlos always has police there are yet passengers waiting there are robbed . These muggings in the capital from bikes have become a real problem now and no one can drive safely with the window down .. I do not know how the problem can be solved if the police do not assist.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Leaving aside the boring political stuff , there is a weath of interesting news today here on DR1 , the best for weeks .
1 shrimp and fish farming will be revved up in rice fields around POP
2 Cars increas in numbers in the capital but with no road planning
3 Conatra tring to keep Uber out of the DR .Uber is the taxi service from a mobile phone
4 DR worst in traffic fatalities..hardly news
5 Three dead is that dreadful Caribe Tours accident San Francisco de Macoris..recently in a thread here
6 Fake notes in circulation in the east of the capital
7 Muggings by your motor bike gangs on Las Americas, Puente Juan Carlos and Avenida Espana .

I do not know how UBER can be kept out especially if they have unmarked taxis and something must be done to stop these muggings by young delinquents riding in pairs an dattacking people waiting for buses.

the difference between shrimp farming and something like goat farming is simple.

you raise goats, and one day you wake up and find that one has died. you raise shrimp, and you find that all have died.

it is not a simple thing to do.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
there was a shrimp farm.... near Nagua.
has it disappeared?
was run by a French woman who had pretty good grip on the market all over the country.

Now, I buy them from the moto man who drives around town with a cooler
they're excellent

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there was a shrimp farm.... near Nagua.
has it disappeared?
was run by a French woman who had pretty good grip on the market all over the country.

Now, I buy them from the moto man who drives around town with a cooler
they're excellent

i think they catch those in rivers. some of them are huge. i do not know about the farms here, but i know that shrimp farming is very tricky, and that dieoff is regular. only people who really know the art need apply.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Danilo needs to be a little Trujilloesq with the sindicos as well as the motor bike muggers. This is all these people will understand. I think that the Gov. should get rid of all conchos on roads where the Metro exists. i realize that the sindicos (mafiosos) would be up in arms but would give the military to shoot first and ask questions "never" when seeing any violence / vandalism.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Perhaps, instead of mimicking the U.S. model of using government resources to stop & frisk, terrorize and incarcerate the poor, the DR should strive to achieve a more educated, peaceful society with initiatives that benefit all. That would be a nicer environment in which to visit and live. Also, it is an easier, more achievable and humane goal that we can all support.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Perhaps, instead of mimicking the U.S. model of using government resources to stop & frisk, terrorize and incarcerate the poor, the DR should strive to achieve a more educated, peaceful society with initiatives that benefit all. That would be a nicer environment in which to visit and live. Also, it is an easier, more achievable and humane goal that we can all support.
I don't think it's more achievable.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A truly noble and laudable goal. If, however, you are a decision maker and this means your income will be cut in half, how would you proceed?

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Can Gringo and Mauricio, we don't have to guess what would happen, take a stroll through Z?rich, Stockholm or Copenhagen. They are much better educated, all have health care, murders are a fraction of U.S. rate and much cleaner, more efficient places to live. All ships rise together.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Good idea, this thread.....

Only 13 posts and we managed to move out of the DR with an added splash of racism.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Only 13 posts and we managed to move out of the DR with an added splash of racism.

Ironically, you're seeing something that is simply not there. It may unearth motivations of some, but I wasn't going there.