New Cruise Terminal/Port in Cap Cana

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I came across this today, it's from June, and don't remember seeing it posted here [sorry if it's a duplicate]

Dominican Republic to have new cruise terminal

Dominican Republic.- The Dominican Republic?s fifth cruise terminal is being built in the Cap Cana Resort, right in the tourist zone of Punta Cana, where more than 60% of the international tourists already arrive by air to the Caribbean country.

This was announced by engineer Mayobanex Escoto V?squez, director of the Dominican Port Authority (APORDOM), during the First International Congress of Engineering, Architecture and Surveying and the 2nd Pan American Construction Congress, recently held in Santo Domingo.

According to Escoto V?squez, in this way the Dominican Republic is getting ready to receive a million tourists by sea starting next year. In fact, the official said, it is expected that some 125,000 tourists will enter through Cap Cana, while some 250,000 tourists will arrive in the country through the port of Amber Cove which the Carnival Company will inaugurate next October in the bay of Maim?n, Puerto Plata. These two new cruise terminals will join the three ports already existing in Santo Domingo (Sans Souci terminal), La Romana (La Romana Casa de Campo Pier) and Saman?.

He also announced that through the anchorage being built by the Dominican Port Authority in Cap Cana, starting next year the Disney World cruise line (from Florida, the United States) will visit the country.

Escoto V?squez said that the construction and fitting-out of the country?s ports is one of the goals of Dominican President Danilo Medina to increase the flow of tourists.

According to data published by the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic, during this year?s January-April season, a total of 238,811 passengers arrived in the country by sea. Out of these 160,650 (67.27%) were received by La Romana cruise terminal. In 2014, the arrivals by sea amounted to 435,494 passengers, of which 310,861 (71.38%) arrived at La Romana terminal.

https://www.traveltradecaribbean.com/dominican-republic-to-have-new-cruise-terminal/

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Mooring in Casa de Campo is infinitely more efficient than anything offered in Santo Domingo and right in line price wise. Cap Cana is taking it to a whole new level. The capital loses millions in revenue each year by not aggressively attracting boat owners. You can be delayed an entire afternoon while other ports will pick you and bring the documents to your restaurant or club! Very short sighted and frustrating to see.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes 4 4 4 I occasionally go aboard these cruisers to have dinner ,,they have an arrangement with a few associations to permit people living here to go aboard . I have met many of the people on board and there seems to be a very high level of satisfaction.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Really? They are constructing a cruise terminal at this moment? I find that hard to believe, that after 5 months construction, we are just finding this out now. And which cruise lines will dock there? And what the passengers will do?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I haven't heard anything about it but on the whole there is a lot more development going on in Cap Cana now.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I haven't heard anything about it but on the whole there is a lot more development going on in Cap Cana now.

Cap Cana was buried in debt and developers went elsewhere. Now the debt is perceived to be manageable and they believe they can move toward solvency. The fundamental problem is that those that profit from construction have zero skin in the game for long term success of Cap Cana.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Really? They are constructing a cruise terminal at this moment? I find that hard to believe, that after 5 months construction, we are just finding this out now. And which cruise lines will dock there? And what the passengers will do?

The only one mentioned so far is the Disney Cruise Line.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Cap Cana has done 0 right. There is always much construction haphazard might I say. They are spread so thin that only
the f..ln owners who own the electric company, cable probably and Everything else in cap cana take the monies for their pocket.
So if a deal has been made only the cap cana construction companies will reap all ill gained money. They couldn't even build a marina to dock large boats. Only fishing boats there. These owners (do not want to mention thir cursed names) haved lied yo everyone from Day 1 no matter what any of their protectors day. So...a marina large enough and deep enough for a cruise
ship? Hold on to your pockets for awhile because another Ponzi scheme on the making.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
at this moment there is zero construction for something like a Cruise Port going on at Cap Cana.
til this topic here, i did not even hear any "rumors" about such.
and as mentioned above, the entrance channel to Cap Cana Marina is by far not suitable for ships of such size.
the largest boats at Cap Cana are ranging in the 140-150ft Class, and they are the maximum which can run the Marina Channel by mid tide.
a cruise port would not only require a mayor construction inside the Marina, to build such Pier/Docks completely new with new service facilities for that purpose, they also would need to digg the Marina Channel waaaay deeper, all the entrance channel in to the point where ever such cruise port facilities/Docks could be built.
this country is often full of surprises,
but at this moment i can not imagine such to happen this decade.
maybe they plan on some kinda offshore docking off Juanillo, but i can't imagine such stupidities.

Mike

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
at this moment there is zero construction for something like a Cruise Port going on at Cap Cana.
til this topic here, i did not even hear any "rumors" about such.
and as mentioned above, the entrance channel to Cap Cana Marina is by far not suitable for ships of such size.
the largest boats at Cap Cana are ranging in the 140-150ft Class, and they are the maximum which can run the Marina Channel by mid tide.
a cruise port would not only require a mayor construction inside the Marina, to build such Pier/Docks completely new with new service facilities for that purpose, they also would need to digg the Marina Channel waaaay deeper, all the entrance channel in to the point where ever such cruise port facilities/Docks could be built.
this country is often full of surprises,
but at this moment i can not imagine such to happen this decade.
maybe they plan on some kinda offshore docking off Juanillo, but i can't imagine such stupidities.

Mike

so, Mike, i take it from reading your post that this whole thing is a fabrication.

i wonder if it is more sucker bait...i would not be surprised. ripoff, DR style, in the making.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
not that the huge and empty Cap Cana areal would not have the space for a Cruise Port, it would fit easily and the Marina Basin has behind the Fueling Station a nice secluded Bay perfectly suitable for such, directly connected with the entrance channel.
but i sure would realize such heavy duty work here, and i didn't.
the whole entrancechannel til the end of it, at that bay, including that whole bay itself, would need to be made deeper.
heavy mayor Marina work, something that requires biggest money to be spent and a long time to realize such work.
the construction of big Docks and service buildings, such is a minor thingy and can be realized quickly, there is plenty of space available for such.
but to get the Marina's Waterside ready for a Cruiser, that would be a monster project of big money and a long time of working thru it.
til now,
i did not hear anything about such project, nor did i realize any work to be done.

Mike

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I little over a year ago I suggested in another forum that Cap Cana could be modified to accomodate a cruiseship or two. Sometimes I really do think the things I say has repercusions beyond the WWW.

It isn't the first time it has happened. I once suggested that Dominican hospitals should simply register new borns right after they are born instead of leaving that to the parents, that way late registrations could be significantly reduced. About a month later I read in Listin Diario that Dominican hospitals would start to register new borns before they and their mothers are sent home.

Another time I complained not even to Grupo Puntacana that the signs at the PC airport were insulting, because they were bilingual but the English version was on top and the Spanish on the bottom of every sign. In a Spanish-speaking country, the Spanish should always be on top. Not long afrer that they changed the signs with the new ones having the Spanish on top.

Yes, it could all be coincidences, but coincidences don't happen as often as I find myself saying 'huh.' Its almost dejavu-ish.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I little over a year ago I suggested in another forum that Cap Cana could be modified to accomodate a cruiseship or two. Sometimes I really do think the things I say has repercusions beyond the WWW.

It isn't the first time it has happened. I once suggested that Dominican hospitals should simply register new borns right after they are born instead of leaving that to the parents, that way late registrations could be significantly reduced. About a month later I read in Listin Diario that Dominican hospitals would start to register new borns before they and their mothers are sent home.

Another time I complained not even to Grupo Puntacana that the signs at the PC airport were insulting, because they were bilingual but the English version was on top and the Spanish on the bottom of every sign. In a Spanish-speaking country, the Spanish should always be on top. Not long afrer that they changed the signs with the new ones having the Spanish on top.

Yes, it could all be coincidences, but coincidences don't happen as often as I find myself saying 'huh.' Its almost dejavu-ish.

Needless to say, we are anxiously anticipating your next invocation. If I may, bakeries that deliver or free rickshaws to the beach wouldn't hurt anyone.

domitchem

Oct 23, 2015
Yeah very well said, Cap Cana is taking it to a whole new level. It is always good to have a port coming as it will reduce the amount of time we wait for other cruises for getting our papers done. The main thing is that the port has to influence the boat owners and cruise ship companies so that the capital rises each year. So the facilities have to be improved a lot. If they are able to provide a better service as a Cruise terminal then a number of cruise line companies that provide cruise voyages through Lake Michigan, like Blount Small Ship Adventures would target their customers to this terminal.