shipping OUT OF DR to Canada??

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Looking for the cheapest way to ship several boxes of personal items, weight approx. 100 pounds from the DR to Toronto. I will not be there to receive the goods but a family member will do this for me.

I know it has been asked and I've searched on the site? I have an inquiry in to American Airlines cargo, would prefer to ship by sea as there is no urgency.

Does anyone have updated information on shipping out of DR? Is there a feasible and relatively inexpensive way to do this?

Many thanks!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Crap. I suppose I am going to have to try to figure this problem out soon myself. I am going to try to sell everything, but there is some things I just can't/won't sell.

Maybe...

Most things I can probably sell here, even if used and old, for more than what it'll cost me to replace new in the US.

These boxes 100 pounds each, or you have several pounds that equal 100 pounds?

When I moved here, I brought 13 boxes on the plane. I bought all first class tickets (5 of us). We were able to bring three bags each, up to 75 pounds, for free. May be an option for ya. Most airlines let first class passengers check 2-3 large bags for free. And, the first class ticket isn't much more than economy especially now, and for a one way.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There has never been anyone that posted anything good about shipping anything of any size and weight out of the DR on this forum. Sorry to say, but there is no good solution to this problem.

If you do find a good solution, many will be indebted to know what it is.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
There has never been anyone that posted anything good about shipping anything of any size and weight out of the DR on this forum. Sorry to say, but there is no good solution to this problem.

If you do find a good solution, many will be indebted to know what it is.

I will keep you posted.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am shipping a container back to the UK, but admittedly it is a container. The cost is US$ 3800, but it's a long way and I have 20ft x 8ft x 8ft to fill up, so I can get a lot in. I would also look at the airline route, but think about upgrading using airmiles to a business class. I usually fly business class and on the route to London I can take 3 bags each 32kg (ie well over 150lbs in total). I just travelled Iberia from London, business class, using miles and in total the ticket was US$ 200, with that luggage allowance.

The guy I am using for my shipping back to the UK has a company called Blue Ocean Shipping, based in Santo Domingo, he's an expat and seems very good. If you'd like his contact details just PM me. I haven't shipped with him yet, so if anyone wants to tell me reasons I shouldn't do, feel free to let me know.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
One more thing. I'm pretty certain that most airlines will not carry boxes in the hold. They will only carry suitcases or bags, but not a box. Check the airline's baggage policy carefully if you want to take anything other than a suitcase / bag.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I am checking into these suggestions; I will let you know what I find out.
It's not enough for a container but more than I can carry on a plane; I am sure lots of people can relate!
I arrived here with 2 suitcases and a massive oversized hockey bag but I've been back and forth and have schlepped down more stuff.
Except the last trip home, I guess I knew in my heart that I wasn't feeling that great about living here… I didn't bring much back down. Anyway, I'm not headed back to Canada, going to keep travelling, but my stuff definitely is!
I lucked out and it looks like my landlord will buy all my furniture and inversor, washer, etc. so he can rent the place furnished to the next sucker, sorry, person who moves in. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I'm sure you've already done this, but instead of deciding what to take, simply bring what you couldn't live without. People ship boxes and the boxes sit there, unopened for years. Just a thought before you pay to ship something not necessary.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I'm sure you've already done this, but instead of deciding what to take, simply bring what you couldn't live without. People ship boxes and the boxes sit there, unopened for years. Just a thought before you pay to ship something not necessary.

Ohhhh, I know, I know… it's true.
I am a minimalist anyway, but I have some work-related things….
Even with shipping some things I am leaving a lot here. Oh well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am checking into these suggestions; I will let you know what I find out.
It's not enough for a container but more than I can carry on a plane; I am sure lots of people can relate!
I arrived here with 2 suitcases and a massive oversized hockey bag but I've been back and forth and have schlepped down more stuff.
Except the last trip home, I guess I knew in my heart that I wasn't feeling that great about living here… I didn't bring much back down. Anyway, I'm not headed back to Canada, going to keep travelling, but my stuff definitely is!
I lucked out and it looks like my landlord will buy all my furniture and inversor, washer, etc. so he can rent the place furnished to the next sucker, sorry, person who moves in. Fingers crossed.

I would check with WestJet, since they fly direct from many airports in the DR directly back to Toronto, and are reasonable to deal with.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I am moving to the DR on Sunday and bought a one way first class ticket on AA for $375. which allows three 70 lb. bags. I bought 3 large duffel bags and a 6 dollar baggage scale online,they will be packed to the limit,in addition I am bringing 2 carry ons. I will be traveling with close to 300 lbs. of luggage for free.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
We did the same in our last trip back and brought almost 700 pounds between the 3 paying passengers. I was able to leave 2 sofas, kitchen table, numerous chairs and 2 beds and rent our place as semi furnished. After more than 4 years of use and wear and tear it is nice to start with new things in our new home, instead of the hassle of shipping.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
WestJet will accept accept cargo at least out of the POP airport. I helped a returning Gringo do this 7 months ago.

You pack your boxes, reserve space on a flight of your choice with the airline (and of course pay), deliver the boxes to the cargo building at the airport, have everything examined by DR customs, complete any other requirements as detailed by the airline.

You fly home, your boxes either make the scheduled flight or show up sometime later when space is available.

It's not cheap, but it is cheaper than shipping a container to Canada. Cost is directly proportional to how many boxes you ship and their weight.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just booked EWR - POP... I know its not Toronto, but the difference for the economy/first class ticket was $160US.....one way

So it can make sense to travel with 3 suitcases that way.... not that costly.

I had doubted the sense to that idea, but have been proven wrong....