Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fake ID from Obras Publica

Beware.

My wife went to renew her drivers license in Santiago. She took her old, expired license which she received in Santo Domingo years back.

Apparently, when scanning the license in their system, nothing registered. They took it to review more thoroughly and came with a verdict that, indeed, this was a fake ID.

The police on duty told my wife she'd be going to jail.

She was terrified and explained she received this ID from Obras Publica in Santo Domingo a few years ago. The teller let her know that my wife is not the first and definitely not the last person who has come in with a fake ID even though it was issued by Obras Publica.

Luckily she didn't go to jail. It was a nerve-racking experience though.

$800-something pesos wasted at BanReservas to renew the license. She has to go through the whole process like she never had a license at all.

Happened to anyone else?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Did she get it from obras publicas or did she use a buscn?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When I moved to my current apartment, I was trying to concentrate on supervising the guys unloading my furniture (piled impossibly high on a very small truck). An old lady came out and welcomed me as my new neighbour. She asked if I had a DR driving licence and, as I did not, said her daughter worked in the relevant office and could obtain one for me for a modest fee (which I cannot now remember, but maybe 1500 pesos). I would not have to complete any forms or take a driving test and she did not need sight of my UK licence.

All this when I was extremely tired and trying to concentrate on the job in hand.

Later found this lady to be very religious and a pillar of rectitude in the community. I am sure she would not have knowingly done anything dishonest. Things like that are just considered legitimate perks of the job here.

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by london777 View Post
    When I moved to my current apartment, I was trying to concentrate on supervising the guys unloading my furniture (piled impossibly high on a very small truck). An old lady came out and welcomed me as my new neighbour. She asked if I had a DR driving licence and, as I did not, said her daughter worked in the relevant office and could obtain one for me for a modest fee (which I cannot now remember, but maybe 1500 pesos). I would not have to complete any forms or take a driving test and she did not need sight of my UK licence.

All this when I was extremely tired and trying to concentrate on the job in hand.

Later found this lady to be very religious and a pillar of rectitude in the community. I am sure she would not have knowingly done anything dishonest. Things like that are just considered legitimate perks of the job here.
    i posted that my friends wife was going for her drivers test for her license, and was told by the instructor that she should just do what everyone here does, which is to pay 1000 pesos and get the license. people here told me i had made it up.

5. Likes Eleutheria, london777 liked this post
    Moderator 🤡 Clown Bin
    Post Thanks / Like

DR1 NEWS Today - October 21, 2015

Most motorcyclists drive without licenses

The Road Traffic director at the Ministry of Public Works, Luis Estrella, says that only 50,000 of the country's 1.5 million motorcyclists have driving licenses, even though they are not difficult to obtain.

He said that the requirements for getting a motorcycle license were to have paid taxes and insured the motorcycle, to ensure the motorcycle is in good condition and to have a helmet. The motorcyclists have even been exonerated from taking a written driving test n all they have to do is attend an educational talk about traffic rules.

Estrella says that this is a cultural problem that needs to be addressed by the Police and the Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET).

As far as cars are concerned, Estrella says that 1,800,000 people have been issued driving licenses, but of these 40% are expired. Around 100,000 licenses expired over nine years ago so they cannot be renewed and the drivers would have to start the process again from the beginning.

Read more in Spanish: http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/...ncia-KN1618059

✨🤶✨ Season's Greetings ✨🎅✨

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amp View Post
    Beware.

My wife went to renew her drivers license in Santiago. She took her old, expired license which she received in Santo Domingo years back.

Apparently, when scanning the license in their system, nothing registered. They took it to review more thoroughly and came with a verdict that, indeed, this was a fake ID.

The police on duty told my wife she'd be going to jail.

She was terrified and explained she received this ID from Obras Publica in Santo Domingo a few years ago. The teller let her know that my wife is not the first and definitely not the last person who has come in with a fake ID even though it was issued by Obras Publica.

Luckily she didn't go to jail. It was a nerve-racking experience though.

$800-something pesos wasted at BanReservas to renew the license. She has to go through the whole process like she never had a license at all.

Happened to anyone else?
    amp, how long have you known this woman?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4*4*4 View Post
    amp, how long have you known this woman?
    Lol.

I know the difference from a barrio chica and someone with standards. That should say enough.

I was trying to find an image of the license I may have taken with my phone but it seems that I never did. Would like to compare it with other people's licenses.

She did not use a buscon and got it herself.

9. Likes 4*4*4 liked this post
    *** I love DR1! ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol.

I know the difference from a barrio chica and someone with standards. That should say enough

She did not use a buscon and got it herself.
    If you were not with her in Obras Publicas when she got that license, you can not believe this information, and it doesn't matter if she is from the barrio or from the most expensive building in the country. If she is Dominican, you can't trust ANYTHING that she says.

I can believe that long-time-ago expired license disappeared from the system, nothing unusual here, but I never believe that the license issued by Obras Publicas can be FAKE. Bullsh1t!

11. Dislikes AlterEgo disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You're more than welcome to believe what you wish.

I have no second thoughts about this incident.

Why does almost everything in this forum always turn into "you can't trust 'em!" topics?

I'm trying to warn others in case they were issued a fake ID as well. If you try to renew it can turn into a sticky situation.

13. Likes chrisgy, frank recktenwald liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You're more than welcome to believe what you wish.

I have no second thoughts about this incident.

Why does almost everything in this forum always turn into "you can't trust 'em!" topics?

I'm trying to warn others in case they were issued a fake ID as well. If you try to renew it can turn into a sticky situation.
    amp, you know I was completely kidding with my comment. LOL!

15. Likes amp liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast