Fake ID from Obras Publica

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Beware.

My wife went to renew her drivers license in Santiago. She took her old, expired license which she received in Santo Domingo years back.

Apparently, when scanning the license in their system, nothing registered. They took it to review more thoroughly and came with a verdict that, indeed, this was a fake ID.

The police on duty told my wife she'd be going to jail.

She was terrified and explained she received this ID from Obras Publica in Santo Domingo a few years ago. The teller let her know that my wife is not the first and definitely not the last person who has come in with a fake ID even though it was issued by Obras Publica.

Luckily she didn't go to jail. It was a nerve-racking experience though.

$800-something pesos wasted at BanReservas to renew the license. She has to go through the whole process like she never had a license at all.

Happened to anyone else?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
When I moved to my current apartment, I was trying to concentrate on supervising the guys unloading my furniture (piled impossibly high on a very small truck). An old lady came out and welcomed me as my new neighbour. She asked if I had a DR driving licence and, as I did not, said her daughter worked in the relevant office and could obtain one for me for a modest fee (which I cannot now remember, but maybe 1500 pesos). I would not have to complete any forms or take a driving test and she did not need sight of my UK licence.

All this when I was extremely tired and trying to concentrate on the job in hand.

Later found this lady to be very religious and a pillar of rectitude in the community. I am sure she would not have knowingly done anything dishonest. Things like that are just considered legitimate perks of the job here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When I moved to my current apartment, I was trying to concentrate on supervising the guys unloading my furniture (piled impossibly high on a very small truck). An old lady came out and welcomed me as my new neighbour. She asked if I had a DR driving licence and, as I did not, said her daughter worked in the relevant office and could obtain one for me for a modest fee (which I cannot now remember, but maybe 1500 pesos). I would not have to complete any forms or take a driving test and she did not need sight of my UK licence.

All this when I was extremely tired and trying to concentrate on the job in hand.

Later found this lady to be very religious and a pillar of rectitude in the community. I am sure she would not have knowingly done anything dishonest. Things like that are just considered legitimate perks of the job here.

i posted that my friend?s wife was going for her driver?s test for her license, and was told by the instructor that she should just do what everyone here does, which is to pay 1000 pesos and get the license. people here told me i had made it up.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
DR1 NEWS Today - October 21, 2015

Most motorcyclists drive without licenses

The Road Traffic director at the Ministry of Public Works, Luis Estrella, says that only 50,000 of the country's 1.5 million motorcyclists have driving licenses, even though they are not difficult to obtain.

He said that the requirements for getting a motorcycle license were to have paid taxes and insured the motorcycle, to ensure the motorcycle is in good condition and to have a helmet. The motorcyclists have even been exonerated from taking a written driving test n all they have to do is attend an educational talk about traffic rules.

Estrella says that this is a cultural problem that needs to be addressed by the Police and the Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET).

As far as cars are concerned, Estrella says that 1,800,000 people have been issued driving licenses, but of these 40% are expired. Around 100,000 licenses expired over nine years ago so they cannot be renewed and the drivers would have to start the process again from the beginning.

Read more in Spanish: http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...de-motoristas-circulan-sin-licencia-KN1618059

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Beware.

My wife went to renew her drivers license in Santiago. She took her old, expired license which she received in Santo Domingo years back.

Apparently, when scanning the license in their system, nothing registered. They took it to review more thoroughly and came with a verdict that, indeed, this was a fake ID.

The police on duty told my wife she'd be going to jail.

She was terrified and explained she received this ID from Obras Publica in Santo Domingo a few years ago. The teller let her know that my wife is not the first and definitely not the last person who has come in with a fake ID even though it was issued by Obras Publica.

Luckily she didn't go to jail. It was a nerve-racking experience though.

$800-something pesos wasted at BanReservas to renew the license. She has to go through the whole process like she never had a license at all.

Happened to anyone else?

amp, how long have you known this woman?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
amp, how long have you known this woman?

Lol.

I know the difference from a barrio chica and someone with standards. That should say enough.

I was trying to find an image of the license I may have taken with my phone but it seems that I never did. Would like to compare it with other people's licenses.

She did not use a buscon and got it herself.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Lol.

I know the difference from a barrio chica and someone with standards. That should say enough

She did not use a buscon and got it herself.

If you were not with her in Obras Publicas when she got that license, you can not believe this information, and it doesn't matter if she is from the barrio or from the most expensive building in the country. If she is Dominican, you can't trust ANYTHING that she says.

I can believe that long-time-ago expired license disappeared from the system, nothing unusual here, but I never believe that the license issued by Obras Publicas can be FAKE. Bullsh1t!

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
You're more than welcome to believe what you wish.

I have no second thoughts about this incident.

Why does almost everything in this forum always turn into "you can't trust 'em!" topics?

I'm trying to warn others in case they were issued a fake ID as well. If you try to renew it can turn into a sticky situation.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
You're more than welcome to believe what you wish.

I have no second thoughts about this incident.

Why does almost everything in this forum always turn into "you can't trust 'em!" topics?

I'm trying to warn others in case they were issued a fake ID as well. If you try to renew it can turn into a sticky situation.

amp, you know I was completely kidding with my comment. LOL!

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
If you were not with her in Obras Publicas when she got that license, you can not believe this information, and it doesn't matter if she is from the barrio or from the most expensive building in the country. If she is Dominican, you can't trust ANYTHING that she says.

I can believe that long-time-ago expired license disappeared from the system, nothing unusual here, but I never believe that the license issued by Obras Publicas can be FAKE. Bullsh1t!

Dominicans run Obras Publicas. Dominicans can't be trusted. Obras Publicas can be trusted. Dominicans can be trusted???
Make up your mind gringo!!

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Dominicans run Obras Publicas. Dominicans can't be trusted. Obras Publicas can be trusted. Dominicans can be trusted???
Make up your mind gringo!!
Obras Publicas use original equipment to print genuine licenses on genuine plastic. The license printed by them simply can't be fake. It may be not registered in the database now, but not because it's fake. It may be not registered in the database NOW because it was expired long time ago, and the data was deleted with some software update or another database issue.

But once again, it can't show any signs of a fake license, because it was printed on original genuine equipment.

Or you think that Obras Publicas have special room with another printer and computer like those that used to print fake IDs in some criminal labs? You think there are some people that say Hey look at that Dominican lady, let's print a fake license instead of the geniune one and give it to her, it's a lot of fun, guys!

If her license shows signs of a fake, counterfeit license, that means that that license was printed in another place. Very simple, isn't it? The wife is a bullsh!t artist, that's it.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Obras Publicas use original equipment to print genuine licenses on genuine plastic. The license printed by them simply can't be fake. It may be not registered in the database now, but not because it's fake. It may be not registered in the database NOW because it was expired long time ago, and the data was deleted with some software update or another database issue.

But once again, it can't show any signs of a fake license, because it was printed on original genuine equipment.

Or you think that Obras Publicas have special room with another printer and computer like those that used to print fake IDs in some criminal labs? You think there are some people that say Hey look at that Dominican lady, let's print a fake license instead of the geniune one and give it to her, it's a lot of fun, guys!

If her license shows signs of a fake, counterfeit license, that means that that license was printed in another place. Very simple, isn't it? The wife is a bullsh!t artist, that's it.

I dont know anything about Obra Publicas.
But WHO prints a FAKE ID, in a LEGIT Business office ?
that makes no sense and what would be the Motive ? just to mess with people, pocket the money ?
thats like a US person going to a DMV, Waiting in Line with all the Other Legit Customers, and coming out with a Fake Driv lic ?

I have heard of REAL PAPER and Documents stolen and used for Fake ID, . even Stolen embossing machines like they use for Credit cards, making perfect Fake documents
but never heard of fake ID printed in a LEGIT place..
Something is not right with this picture.

Feb 7, 2007
Well it could be possible. Fake license in such manner as not registered, bit printed on the original machine, somebody typing the info but not registering the data in the database. It would come on original plastic, printed by the original machine but still would be fake, as in fake because not issued using the legal procedure in place to obtain the license.

Same as if you have original passport booklets stolen and then fake passports made the paper and everything is all legit, it's the passports that are not registered in any database. Same thing.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Well it could be possible. Fake license in such manner as not registered, bit printed on the original machine, somebody typing the info but not registering the data in the database. It would come on original plastic, printed by the original machine but still would be fake, as in fake because not issued using the legal procedure in place to obtain the license.

Same as if you have original passport booklets stolen and then fake passports made the paper and everything is all legit, it's the passports that are not registered in any database. Same thing.

First of all, if they take a look at the license printed on original equipment on original plastic, they can't say that it's fake like OP mentioned in his post. It will look 100% real even under the microscope, and the fact that it's not registered in the database doesn't make it fake automatically, since there can be some reasons why it has disappeared from the database, especially in the case of expired license.

And another point is this one: Did you see how they print licenses in Obras Publicas? They do it right in front of the customer, they print it right from the system and you can see the printer. And you have the line of 50 people behind you. If she was just one in that line, to get her license, she got it the same way like all other people in the line that day. From the same database, the same printer, printed in front of her after they put her data in the database and took her photo.

So once again, everything that the wife says is BULLSH!T.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
To make the long story short, even if they can (technically) print the license on the same equipment without putting it into the database, you have to bribe somebody to do that for you. But there is no way to get such fake/non-registered license if you came there to get your license as a regular customer, waiting in the line of 50 other customers. It's the same like if you go to the passport office and accidentally get the fake passport there, can you imagine that? :).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am sure that the OP by using the word FAKE was implying a meaning of NOT VALID. I have no difficulty envisioning some opportunistic person accepting payment for a license, creating said license and handing it out without completing the various checks and balances required to have that license legitimately entered into the database.

If you didn't take a computer test, do a practical driving test, pay taxes to Banreserva and attend at least two appointments at the license place and have your license issued from that same office, you may find, if you checked, that the legit looking license you have is not worth the plastic it is printed on.

It may very well be possible to pay someone $1000 and get a legit license, but chances are much higher that it might be invalid going this route over the established procedure. You pay your money and takes your chances. When you cut corners, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Since I have been living down here I have seen fake passports, fake medicine, fake personalities, fake shoes, fake shampoo and fake rum. I would not be surprised if your wife?s drivers license was somehow fake too.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Since I have been living down here I have seen fake passports, fake medicine, fake personalities, fake shoes, fake shampoo and fake rum. I would not be surprised if your wife?s drivers license was somehow fake too.

you forgot to mention fake orgasms

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Believe what you want. You know me from an internet forum and that's about it.

I'm telling you what happened to my wife. It's probably as Cdn_gringo stated. The teller pocketed the money and didn't finish the transaction.

If they can do it with REAL ESTATE which has a much larger value, what would make someone not do it for a measly drivers license?